Building Shop before House

/ Building Shop before House #1  

jb1390

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550, Hitachi 120-2
We're looking to purchase a piece of property right up the street from our current house, with the intention of building another house and moving there someday. In the shorter term, it would be advantageous to construct a shop or two, and use those to help in the home construction.

Our zoning department (connecticut) is telling me that I cannot build a shop without a house already there. My understanding is that they're worried about commercial use or something to that regard, and having a house there already helps ensure the land is used as it's intended.

Anyone else ever run into something like this, and have any suggestions on how to proceed? We could look at doing a big loan and do everything at once, but I was hoping to do a chunk of the home construction ourselves, and spreading it out would very much help financially. If we could do a shop first, that would be ideal for our situation.

/ Building Shop before House #2  
jb1390 - We had a similar issue at our prior property, also in CT :rolleyes:...

So it really depends... Every town in CT has it's own rules & the issues usually start with the zoning & planning dept.; not usually the building department.

How is the land zoned now?

Depending on how it is currently zoned & how willing they are to work with you you might be able to submit a site plan that includes the out-buildings (not shop) & the new home, septic, well, etc, etc.. that they will except. Then if that is excepted you can process the building permits via the building dept. Again in CT it depends on how big / small your town is (& how "clicky" the town is).

But the first thing to understand is how the land is zoned & make sure you understand all the zoning rules for the type zone it is in. Depending on the zone types they may not have a leg to stand on for denying your request, even if they say they do... it what happened to us... (I'm in the contracting field & they were not happy when I read their rules back to them at a public hearing... after trying everything else)

I definitely would continue to pursue looing in to all the options & definitely try to get them to work with you (something about better not fighting town hall) but don't be afraid too either. if your in the right.. there are a bunch of ways to get this done... even in CT.

/ Building Shop before House #3  
Build a shop with kitchen sink, bathroom, washer dryer connections and call it a house. My dad's shop still has sink, bathroom, fridge. 25 years later. Built their current home a few years later.

/ Building Shop before House #4  
We're looking to purchase a piece of property right up the street from our current house, with the intention of building another house and moving there someday. In the shorter term, it would be advantageous to construct a shop or two, and use those to help in the home construction.

Our zoning department (connecticut) is telling me that I cannot build a shop without a house already there. My understanding is that they're worried about commercial use or something to that regard, and having a house there already helps ensure the land is used as it's intended.

Anyone else ever run into something like this, and have any suggestions on how to proceed? We could look at doing a big loan and do everything at once, but I was hoping to do a chunk of the home construction ourselves, and spreading it out would very much help financially. If we could do a shop first, that would be ideal for our situation.
We built a tiny little weekend cottage, then over the course of a dozen years expanded the house and the property. Of course you may be told there's a minimum square footage, then I don't know what you do. In Kentucky, land zoned as farmland and over 10 acres has no requirement for building permits.

/ Building Shop before House #6  
Build a shop with kitchen sink, bathroom, washer dryer connections and call it a house. My dad's shop still has sink, bathroom, fridge. 25 years later. Built their current home a few years later.
I like this idea or Eddie's 5000 square foot garage with a kitchen and bath. Or can your house be planned as a 1 bedroom small house and then build shop. And later on, add onto the house structure to have you completed home? Jon

/ Building Shop before House #7  
I like this idea or Eddie's 5000 square foot garage with a kitchen and bath. Or can your house be planned as a 1 bedroom small house and then build shop. And later on, add onto the house structure to have you completed home? Jon

Whatever you can get away with.

/ Building Shop before House #8  
People build “barn-o-minimums” everyday. It can serve as your “house” until you build a house.

/ Building Shop before House #9  

I had the same issue. Bought a shipping container and put a door on the side of it. It is portable and they cannot say anything about it. I am still using it and built shelving in it for storing boxes and plastic containers. It does get hot in there but CT. might not be as bad as down here in VA. I also have a work bench in there.
7B8E5FCB-C8B7-484B-A978-707D15CF2753.jpeg

/ Building Shop before House #10  
What’s it cost for a two year lease on a mobile home?