bx FEL bucket quick attach

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #31  
johnray13 said:
Paul,

I have bumped up the releif setting to 2000psi (the factory spec is around 1800psi-I can walk you thru that if you 'd like) That made a difference, not too much, maybe around 100 pounds or so in the lift.

John

John-

If you did bump yours up to 2000 psi and it only help about 100 lbs worth, I may be opting to go with the larger cylinders again. As mentioned, either way I am going to have to purchase 2 more cylinders for the front curl. If I up-size the current ones, that will run me about $90 ea, if I leave the FEL cylinders alone, I saw some what would work for $60 ea to use on the curl circuit.

As far as "flipping things" with the bucket, I know exactly what you mean having run larger machines. The challenge I think you are going to run into is not one of pressure (or even the capacity of the cylinders), but one of flow. The output on med size (4000lb) skid loaders is 3-4x the pump output of our tractor. Having that much flow is what I would think would give the ability to cycle the bucket faster (that and larger hoses).

While I would love to have quicker cycle times, I would be a little more satisfied with more power on demand.

Let me know what you think and yes I would like some help on adjusting the relief.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #32  
For you other guys looking into "less drastic" modifications (keeping the center cylinder), I think you are going to have to beef up the QR plate similar to a skid-steer's setup. The big problem with this is again the weight. If you make it strong enough, you are losing too much capacity.

What ever you guys end up doing, post some pics and I will do the same. Maybe we should have waited for the B26 instead!

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #33  
bx24 said:
For you other guys looking into "less drastic" modifications (keeping the center cylinder), I think you are going to have to beef up the QR plate similar to a skid-steer's setup. The big problem with this is again the weight. If you make it strong enough, you are losing too much capacity.

What ever you guys end up doing, post some pics and I will do the same. Maybe we should have waited for the B26 instead!

Well while I like your idea, my machine is still under warranty :) so that much cutting and welding is out of the question for now. Yes I do agree the B26 is a nice machine probably should have waited. But since this is my first house and the wifes already talking about moving to a bigger spread of land at some point I will probably end up upgrading. And is it really worth it to do that drastic of a change to the BX unless your planning on keeping it forever :) trade it in for a bigger machine :)

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #34  
That is the real question (modify or upgrade) ... now you have me thinking .....

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #35  
I am still trying to find out if the ATI part made for the BX22/23 will fit the LA240 loader on my BX24. I really only plan on using it for the plow and bucket during the winter months.

I have measured the mounting points on the front bucket and where the FEL arms meet. I have attached a picture the raised black spots are what I was measuring, the two outer mounting points from inside to inside the plates measured 2 7/8 inches and the center point measures 3 1/8 inches ( I might be a hair off because I was measuring by flashlight :) ) There is play in the two side mounts I would say about 2/8s of an inch making the arms about 2 5/8s wide at the points where the pins go through.

FELBucket.jpg

Now the plow I was given from my uncle that was custom made for a BX2200 I had to modify at the 2 side pins because they where too tight to fit on my FEL arms they were about 1/8 of an inch too small. Now I want to pass this off on my uncles tolerances for measurements (no GAPs or play).

If anyone could either verify these measurements or make the same ones on a BX22/23 it would really help me out. If not I think I will have to load up the entire FEL into my truck and drive the 2.5 hours each way to where the dealer is with the kit. Someone want to save me a trip

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #36  
I am going to toy with making the existing Pin Holes "quicker" than they are now.

OR

Fab some flanges to accept the exiting pins, fit them permanently in the flanges, then another set of Quick pins that do the coupling/uncoupling, more along the lines of a 3PH, sorta. Then all other attachments would fit up to the Quick Pins on the flanges, existing pins stay as is?

I'll need to think this through, and will probably need to wait until warmer weather and get some other current projects out of the way.

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach
SkunkWerX said:
OR
Fab some flanges to accept the exiting pins, fit them permanently in the flanges, then another set of Quick pins that do the coupling/uncoupling, more along the lines of a 3PH, sorta. Then all other attachments would fit up to the Quick Pins on the flanges, existing pins stay as is?

I think this may be the way to go. Perhaps the curl flange could have a tab that slides into a mating assembly and locks in place similar to a skid steer and the two lift arm flange pins are slip fit and lynch pinned. A lightweight triangular plate could keep the three cylinder flanges registered so the hook up sequence would be to grab the curl tab, lift, get off and lever lock the curl tab and slip pin the two arms.

johnray13 said:
Here is what I would like to do but haven't figured out: I would like to increase the power and speed of the bucket. I have bumped up the relief setting to 2000psi (the factory spec is around 1800psi-I can walk you thru that if you 'd like) That made a difference, not too much, maybe around 100 pounds or so in the lift.

Could you please post the sequence to bump up the FEL relief setting?

Cap-n-Cray said:
A complete set of pins, grease fittings, bolts, and nuts is $44.45 plus tax. I bought a set to do some experimenting. I have also worked on the bushing material .

What do you suppose the reduction in pin diameter would need to be to make the factory pins slip fit to the loader bushings?

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #38  
I could also use instructions on how to bump up the PSI in the relief valve. eventually I want to add a grapple and weighing in at 80 lbs that 100 lbs would def. help

/ bx FEL bucket quick attach #40  
QUOTE : What do you suppose the reduction in pin diameter would need to be to make the factory pins slip fit to the loader bushings?

I'm guessing not too much. If they can be tapped out with a hammer and block of wood, a thousandth or two off the pins should make them fairly loose, but still able to hold some grease and not rattle or be too loose.
Maybe just some work with some emery paper or some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper??

First things first, I'd like to try removing the pins (when I get some free time) and take some tolerance measurements.
I would imagine, over time, and with some regular usage, those pins get looser on their own?

We are currently working on the premise that they take about 15 or 20 mins to drive out, but, what if that could be reduced to less than 5 mins? In my mind, then, you simply build your other attachments to fit the stock pin locations and VIOLA!!