BX23

/ BX23 #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
I come on bended knee, seeking the wisdom of my fellow TBNers:

Looking at a BX23 with LA210 Loader, & BT600 backhoe. It's a 2005, 317 hours and only used with loader/backhoe digging trenched and dirt moving, no mower. Asking price is $11,000

I'm looking for a smallish tractor for my wife to replace her Craftsman mower which I doubt I can economically repair many more times. This machine would be hers to primarily mow 3+acres. Most likely, I'd get her a 48" flail. I know some would be quick to suggest getting a ZTR, but a couple of reasons against that -
1. Wife is disabled and would have difficulty with the ZTR steering, she can drive a vehicle or my tractor.
2. I think our property might not be suited to a ZTR, a number of hills and slopes and a lot of uneven ground which I doubt I'll even get smoothed out.
3. Wife would drive the ZTR way to fast too be safe
4. With a small tractor I easily attach my land rake to touch up the driveway, or possibly even the boxblade or PHD for small jobs.
5. The bucket would give her additional transport capability.

So, I humbly ask -
a. Any pros or cons re this machine?
b. Might it be possible to find a mid mount mower at reasonable cost for this machine?
c. Anyone with experience using a small flail with this machine? I don't see wife dragging a rotary mower as a viable option
d. Any other comments, suggestions.

NOTE: As you can see from my sig, I'm a Kioti CK30 owner. I would have bought a CK20, but the only local dealer has none and only orders 6 units at a time due to transportation costs.

Thanks

/ BX23 #2  
I have a BX25 currently. These are great little tractors. The price with the age and hours looks good to me, if it has been maintained properly.
If you have a tractor with FEL, BH and Flail mower now, I'm not sure about the need/reasoning for buying another FEL and BH for a machine designated as your mower.
To me the FEL and BH make the BX's feel a bit more unstable versus a BX with just a mowing deck. I said feels, I didn't say it is more unstable but it sure feels like it is. Alot of my property is hillside so that's from hillside experience.
From what you describe your needs to be, to me you just need to go buy a new BX1860 or BX2360 with a mowing deck either MMM or RFM at 0% for 60 months for about the same money.
It shouldn't be about how much more the BX23 has than what a new BX2360 has. It should be more about what will best fit your needs. Just my opinion.

/ BX23 #3  
Fair price for the BX23, especially for a remote location like the Big Island but I wonder if you'll benefit from the BH you are paying for. Basically from what you've listed as tasks it seems a BX mower rather than TLB would be the best deal. Of course if none is available for about $8K (going price around here) then the BX23 would surely do the job. You might even think of getting the BX23 and selling it again when a good BX mower comes along. I doubt it will depreciate much further in the next three or four years.

/ BX23
Thanks JT

My wife really would get use of the FEL. We have about 6 acres fenced in of our 21. She mows the area close in to the house as our "lawn" and I do the rest with my flail, not the whole 21 acres, haven't made it to that point yet. This is old sugarcane land turned pasture, can't tell you how many times I'vve had my tractor on 2 wheels when mowing new areas. There are also areas, I realistically know will never get mowed.

The BH is definitely "extra", heck, I don't use the one I have more than a couple times a year, of course when I do, I'm grateful to have it.

Using the Kubota Build feature, I can't come anywhere close in $$. >$15K and that's before taxes, shipping etc, etc. Now maybe I could get lucky and one of the dealers on TBN email me a deal, either new or used :licking:

I'd be very hesitant to go as small as the 1860 on our property.

Unfortunately, I have to fit my wants/needs to my budget to what's reasonably available.

Just for perspective, when I was initially tractor shopping 2005, my decision was between the Kubota 3130 and my Kioti. I contacted what passes for a dealer here locally for a quote. For what they quoted tractor and attachments etc, I could have bought my Kioti CK30 AND a CK20 for almost same money.

Thanks again

I have a BX25 currently. These are great little tractors. The price with the age and hours looks good to me, if it has been maintained properly.
If you have a tractor with FEL, BH and Flail mower now, I'm not sure about the need/reasoning for buying another FEL and BH for a machine designated as your mower.
To me the FEL and BH make the BX's feel a bit more unstable versus a BX with just a mowing deck. I said feels, I didn't say it is more unstable but it sure feels like it is. Alot of my property is hillside so that's from hillside experience.
From what you describe your needs to be, to me you just need to go buy a new BX1860 or BX2360 with a mowing deck either MMM or RFM at 0% for 60 months for about the same money.
It shouldn't be about how much more the BX23 has than what a new BX2360 has. It should be more about what will best fit your needs. Just my opinion.

/ BX23
Thanks IT

Yea, the BH isn't really needed. I've been watching craigslist and ads for 6+ months, this is about best deal I've seen locally. I'd buy from a mainland dealer and ship if the budget $$$ worked for right machine. Have to be very very careful here as often by the time a machine is sold, it is used up and is a maintenance pit.

I've not seen anything in the $8K range without lots of years and hours on it. :(

Reselling this BX23 after a few years could well be attractive.:licking:

Fair price for the BX23, especially for a remote location like the Big Island but I wonder if you'll benefit from the BH you are paying for. Basically from what you've listed as tasks it seems a BX mower rather than TLB would be the best deal. Of course if none is available for about $8K (going price around here) then the BX23 would surely do the job. You might even think of getting the BX23 and selling it again when a good BX mower comes along. I doubt it will depreciate much further in the next three or four years.

/ BX23 #6  
The BX23 is one of the better models in the BX class. The FEL joystick stays with the tractor when the FEL is removed which is an improvement over the previous model and it's all metal (with the exception of the lower front bonnet) which is considered an improvement over the model that replaced it which uses composites in its rear fender and hood construction.
The newest model BX25 goes back to construction similar to the BX23 series.
The price you've posted is very nice for the amount of hrs on it, which is very low. I avg 100 hrs a yr on my BX23 and I don't have to contend with snow duty. I should also add that I just went over 500 trouble free hrs. At that amount of hrs I would expect the tractor to have very few blemishes and very little wear.

I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here and suggest that the BH makes a most excellent counter balance for a full FEL. If you add a thumb to the BH you'll find that rendering small trees and large branches into firewood is VERY easy work. Collecting and disposing of the debris in a burn pile is another benefit of the thumb. A BH is a much better ballast than a simple ballast box and has much more functionality.

Finding a MMM to fit this model won't be easy but not impossible. The next model BX's changed the mounting points on the newer MMM's so they won't directly mount up. The MMM's can be modified but you'll need a good welder to accomplich this.

If you were to go to the 48" flail mower, the BX23 should handle it fine although thats about at it's limit. There are those that post no problems on running 5' rotary cutters and rear finish mowers but they are offically rated to 42" in those implements.

R&R of the FEL & BH is a tooless operation that will take only a few minutes once you've got it down pat. I always recommend to remove them for mowing as it not only lightens the tractor by approx 1000lbs but also makes the BX a VERY nimble finish mower.
The power steering is effortless and a well lubed treadle pedal has no jerkiness and requires little effort to change directions and adjust your speed.

This model has no tach and the owners manual states to run it at WOT when mowing. Thats how I've run mine. I run WOT at just about every task as that is where the max hydraulic power is generated also.

San's the FEL & BH it should provide a much softer ride than you'll get on a ZTR on pasture terrain but keep in mind that those short tires won't cushion like the taller tires on your CK. It'll be a nicer ride than the Craftsman tho :D

There were two problems inherent to the earlier releases of the BX23 and that was a leaking fuel tank gasket where the sender mounts above the left rear tire and when it's idled at it's lowest settings for extended times the air filter bracket can break. My 2005 BX23 doesn't have these problems and I believe it was released in 2004 when it replaced the BX22. Kubota released updated fixes for them and they;re still available from dealers.

Good luck in your quest
Dave

Last edited:
   / BX23 #7  
The BX23 is one of the better models in the BX class. The FEL joystick stays with the tractor when the FEL is removed which is an improvement over the previous model and it's all metal (with the exception of the lower front bonnet) which is considered an improvement over the model that replaced it which uses composites in its rear fender and hood construction.
The newest model BX25 goes back to construction similar to the BX23 series.
The price you've posted is very nice for the amount of hrs on it, which is very low. I avg 100 hrs a yr on my BX23 and I don't have to contend with snow duty. I should also add that I just went over 500 trouble free hrs. At that amount of hes I would expect teh tractor to have very few blemishes and very little wear.

I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here and suggest that the BH makes a most excellent counter balance for a full FEL. If you add a thumb to the BH you'll find that rendering small trees and large branches into firewood is VERY easy work. Collecting and disposing of the debris in a burn pile is another benefit of the thumb. A BH is a much better ballast than a simple ballast box and has much more functionality.

Finding a MMM to fit this model won't be easy but not impossible. The bext model BX's changed the mounting points on the newer MMM's so they won't directly mount up. The MMM's can be modified but you'll need a good welder to accomplich this.

If you were to go to the 48" flail mower, the BX23 should handle it fine although thats about at it's limit. There are those that post no problems on running 5' rotary cutters and rear finish mowers but they are offically rated to 42" in those implements.

R&R of the FEL & BH is a tooless operation that will take only a few minutes once you've got it down pat. I always recommend to remove them for mowing as it not only lightens the tractor by approx 1000lbs but also makes the BX a VERY numble finish mower.
The power steering is effortless and a well lubed treadle pedal has no jerkiness and requires little effort to change directions and adjust your speed.

This model has no tach and the owners manual states to run it at WOT when mowing. Thats how I've run mine. I run WOT at just about every task as that is where the max hydraulic power is generated also.

San's the FEL & BH it should provide a much softer ride than you'll get on a ZTR on pasture terrain but keep in mind that those short tires won't cushion like the taller tires on your CK. It'll be a nicer ride than the Craftsman tho :D

There were two problems inherent to the earlier releases of the BX23 and that was a leaking fuel tank gasket where the sender mounts above the right rear tire and when it's idled at it's lowest settings for extended times the air filter bracket can break. My 2005 BX23 doesn't have these problems and I believe it was released in 2004 when it replaced the BX22. Kubota released updated fixes for them and they;re still available from dealers.

Good luck in your quest
Dave

Agree with everything you said Dave...All true. The BX23 is a great machine.

I have the BH on whenever I have the FEL installed as a ballast. It's perfect and fairly compact. No 3pt sway either. I mow do most everything else WOT unless it's detail type work. BH and FEL are off for mowing. 6 years and not complaints whatsoever, it has outperformed my expectations in every case.

/ BX23
Thanks guys, great info

Anybody know where I can get the overall Length, width, weight of the BX23 w/ FEL and BH attached?

Is there such a thing as a 3rd party mid mount mower that would fit the BX23?

/ BX23 #9  
The approximate's I'm going to post are off the top of my head and should be considered as ballpark :D

Approx weight of tractor - 1500lbs
Approx w/FEL & BH - 2500lbs
Approx weight of 60" MMM - 350lbs

Approx width - 42" (seems I recall that a 42" boxblade w/just barely cover it's tracks)
Approx length - 16', (cutting edge of FEL to back plate of BH bucket)

I'm not aware of any aftermarket MMM manufacturer. Most if not all aftermarket finish mower manufacturers make the RFM's.

OEM MMM's come up on ebay and craigslist every now and then. Sometimes a dealer will have one laying around. Theres been quite a few who've posted positive results in hunting them down.
A new 60" MMM can run anywhere from $1600 - $2000 depending on how it's bundled w/the tractor so I'd expect a good used one to run anywhere from $1000 to $1500. Anything lower would be a very good price.
Model number of the 60" MMM is: RCK60B-22BX, substitute 54 for the 54" MMM.

I'm very happy w/the finish of my 60" OEM MMM. I cut approx 4 acres weekly during the peak growing seaon and my BX23 just asks for more :D
It doesn't lack for power and is very economical on fuel usage.
Good luck
Dave

/ BX23
Mahalo Dave

That's in line with my guesses.