BX23

/ BX23
Thought I'd post the long result of this as it relates to some other threads regarding craigslist.

I did not buy the tractor.

The seller responded with a phone to my response to his craigslist ad requesting more info and pics.

My second request was answered with another phone number and a pic. Nice looking tractor. I called Sunday, spoke with his wife, gave my number for him to call back as he wasn't available.

He called back later that day, nice conversation about why selling etc. He offered that the pic was maybe 1 1/2 years old but he could send me new ones. I said I wanted to see the newer pics. Getting the tractor would involve getting transported from his place to the port, the port on his island to my local port - a 2 island hop, and from my port to my place. As I know nothing of his island, I figured he was better equipped to solve that 40 minute trek. He thought he knew someone with appropriate trailer. He also indicated that he was flexible in his price and his neighbor was also interested. His neighbor had used the tractor from time to time and helped with maintenance.

Two days later, still no new pics. Emailed me that neighbor had borrowed the tractor. I investigated the port to port shipping, found I could do for about $500. I start thinking, this is doable within the $11K asking price, 10,500 to buy, 500 for barge . Emailed seller the good news, but said I still needed the pics and his end of the trans worked out before I could make a decision.

Thursday evening I get an email saying neighbor was offering 9K. I responded, that would have been my starting point (true), but I still needed the pics and trans solution, that his neighbor had out done us both. On my end, I could borrow a trailer from a friend or probably have a neighbor pick it up for a few bucks.

Friday morning, I got another email that I should call if I was still interested. I responded, nothing to call about if I didn't get pics and a trans solution. He sent me pics and whined that it probably wouldn't get him much more than the 9K. I responded that IF I were to offer him $10K and it cost him $150 to transport to the port, he'd still be up 850 over the neighbor - probably enough to treat the wife to a nice dinner even on Kauai. Even though I would have preferred less (remember I still had to buy a mower), getting it at 10K plus the 500 to ship was still decent. By now, some of my enthusiasm had waned due to seller and I had started investigating alternatives the day before.

He emailed that neighbor wanted to pick up tractor that afternoon, that he didn't know how to get it to port.

I replied that I knew way less about solving the trans issue than he so congratulate his neighbor on getting a nice tractor at a good deal.

Bottom line, this seller lost several hundred dollars at best and lost a near full price sale because he didn't produce the pics he promised in a timely fashion. Had he produced the pics in a timely matter, I would have solved the trans myself and made a lowball offer but likely more than the neighbor.
I suspect the neighbor is relishing his good deal.

Me, I'm talking with salesman about a BX2350 w loader and MMM that qualifies for Kubota 0% financing. My money stays in the bank and I don't have to buy another mower.