BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #41  
I personally do not. I drop the bucket with the edge down, and then the stabilizers. I never get off the backhoe if I am doing something simple like a trench and just lift the bucket and stabilizers and hit the HST petal with a small compact hoe (the garden kind guys)

This and the 2 by 4 ideas are great. Only rented one these for the day and was trying to think of this solution. A neighbor was helping and he lifted and moved the bh with the bh.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
Since we're on the discussion, any negatives to which way the bucket needs to be when using the BH? I think the manual says down in a vertical position which I interpret as the cutting edge is pointed down in the ground. I also see some just laying the bucket flat.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #43  
I usually stick the cutting edge to the ground and add some down pressure. No rules there, do whatever your comfortable with.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #44  
Saves me form getting off to set and unset the brake each time so it makes a difference when doing longer trenching 100+ft. I personally don't worry about the stabilizer failing as you only want to take some pressure off the rear of the tractor and not lift the wheels on these small machines. Setting the bucket really helps on steep hills (Im in WV so thats most of my land), keeps from skidding the tractor along.

I agree with you about how much to lift the rear wheels... i see so many people raising the rear tires as high as they possibly can. Number one, your digging depth is effected, number two, your out riggers dont stabilize as well when they start pulling inward. Keep it low, the out riggers reach out further, more stable. When i feel the tractor just start to just lift up, i stop right there. Tires contacting the ground adds more stability in my opinion.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #45  
I agree with you about how much to lift the rear wheels... i see so many people raising the rear tires as high as they possibly can. Number one, your digging depth is effected, number two, your out riggers dont stabilize as well when they start pulling inward. Keep it low, the out riggers reach out further, more stable. When i feel the tractor just start to just lift up, i stop right there. Tires contacting the ground adds more stability in my opinion.

Yep! Really does not help you. There are a few exceptions (Maybe facing downhill so you are level) - but generally speaking you are right on! Honestly, as I get older it is just a pain to get on and off with it all jacked up! LOL

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #46  
I usually stick the cutting edge to the ground and add some down pressure. No rules there, do whatever your comfortable with.

Same here - seems to help it dig in a bit and not slide around.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #47  
Yep! Really does not help you. There are a few exceptions (Maybe facing downhill so you are level) - but generally speaking you are right on! Honestly, as I get older it is just a pain to get on and off with it all jacked up! LOL

BAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahaaaaa, gettin older gettin harder to get on/off tractor..... yeahhhhhhhh buddie, i hear that..! LOL LOL

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #48  
Hey, don't one of you BX23s guys want a thumb to make that BX BH complete????? I just so happened to have one for sale that I didn't use on my BX25D1 and $250 cash or trade would get it out of my way. See that hole on that BH arm, that's where it goes, easy peasy and makes that BH 10 to 98% more usable for picking stuff up!!!:cool2:.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #49  
The only thing i find disappointing with the BX23S is, is how fast you can dig with the BH... mainly because you`re gonna get tired of getting on an off the tractor & flipping the seat back an forth...lol. Make sure your steering wheel is fully tilted forward so the seat will clear it when flipping back an forth from BH to tractor position. And KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR OF THE SEAT when locking it back into position both ways. And watch out for the little rear fender tool box, the seat CAN hit it if your not watching for it.

Usually when I am trenching, another person is with me, and they can move the tractor for me each time I need to move ahead. I just lift up the stabilizers and FEL, and they hold their two fingers down on the two safety switches and move the go pedal until we are far enough along. Then I drop everything down and continue with the BH for the next bit of trench. Works great!

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #50  

I'm not so sure that it's a good idea. Isn't it true that back dragging with the FEL is much harder on the cylinders? And of course when you are digging with the BH, sometimes it will want to pull the tractor backwards towards the trench, which is kind of like back dragging, and will put a lot of force on the FEL cylinders. Just a thought.