Can all tractors flip over easy?

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #121  
One way to roll over a tractor = drive in snow on a incline parallel to a bank and start sliding towards the bank instead of moving forward. Even tho the awd 4 tires a spinning forward but the tractor is sliding sideways towards the bank. On snow spinning tires are no traction gravity takes hold and ooopsie.

**** happens really fast. I've been lucky so far. I've got ditches banks and hills that lead to the ditches and banks. Go VERY slow. There's no hurry.

Best to not take chances. If you think its sketchy its sketchy. Stop the tractor and re-asses you intentions. Sometimes another viewpoint is good. Or just call it a day. Take a sleep on it.
Time for chains

/ Can all tractors flip over easy?
You have the right idea.
Common sense is the key.
N series tractors have been doing just what you say you want to do for 80+ years and will be still doing it after you are gone.
Just the number of them still in operation should tell you something.
Stumps & roots will be a challenge but doable.
The REAL advantage to an N is price and reparability.
They are cheap to buy & keep running.
I've had mine for pushing 30 years now and haven't rolled/flipped it yet & I have some hills that "could" be a problem if I did something stupid on. Back to "common sense". It helps.
The rest of this thread I just laugh at as it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with normal operation that YOU will most likely encounter.
Go ahead & get the N, it's a great learning tool.
Later you "MAY" want to get something newer when you find more uses for tractors.
I saw one that might be a good project for $1000. Don't know if it is what I should do, but it was enticing. Then I saw kits, some expensive.

I don't know enough to know if something is good for a project vs parting out and me getting ripped off. I guess I should start another thread or search existing first.

DO YOU GUYS REALIZE YOU RAN THE "NEWBIE", WHO WAS THE ORIGINAL POSTER OFF SEVERAL DAYS AGO?????
I am surprised by most of you, and that especially means you Mossroad, because I thought better of this forum! We were all in his shoes at one time and needed guidance with what we needed to accomplish using what we had available. Y'all gave him the impression that an 8n would not plow new ground safely. Can you even begin to calculate the number of aceage that has been broken with a plow behind an 8n since it was new?
We should have helped him realize what it took to operate it safely rather than going off into a rabbithole.
Y'all do realize that an 8n isn't even a trike, so why push the issue?
I will go back to my corner, but wanted all of you to realize what you had done.
David from Jax
It's no problem. Folks fuss about the finer points of everything, but I did get worried people must have been dying right and left on the 8N.

I need to figure out what constitutes a rollover risk angle. My small bit is not perfectly flat, but I don't know it's enough to tumble over.

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #124  
It sure would help if this were easier to get exactly right. A terrible tractor accident just happened not far away, where I hike sometimes, 4 dead, 8 injured. Sounds like mostly children. Lost control and went down embankment -- don't know if rolling was cause, but must have been involved at some point.

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #125  
I saw one that might be a good project for $1000. Don't know if it is what I should do, but it was enticing. Then I saw kits, some expensive.

I don't know enough to know if something is good for a project vs parting out and me getting ripped off. I guess I should start another thread or search existing first.
Pretty much if an N runs, it's good to go.
Remember, nice shinny paint doesn't make it work harder.
Front end loaders are not recommended for them and grease makes the steering easy.
EVERY part for them is STILL available and there is no end to the help you can/will get on line.

As you can tell, I would recommend you go for it.

It sure would help if this were easier to get exactly right. A terrible tractor accident just happened not far away, where I hike sometimes, 4 dead, 8 injured. Sounds like mostly children. Lost control and went down embankment -- don't know if rolling was cause, but must have been involved at some point.
12 people were on the tractor? Pulling a hayride trailer?

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #127  
"YORK COUNTY, Pa. (WHTM) – One adult and three children have died after a farm tractor rollover crash in York County, according to Pennsylvania State Police (PSP).

According to PSP, a 36-year-old adult female and 11 children were riding in an open flatbed trailer being pulled by a tractor when the driver lost control and left the roadway. The trailer flipped and rolled down an embankment, throwing all of the passengers out of the trailer.

The adult female passenger and three children, a 6-year-old girl, a 9-year-old boy, and a 14-year-old girl, who were riding in the trailer were confirmed deceased. An adult male was operating the older model farm tractor and officials are not sure how the vehicle lost control."

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #128  
From reading various similar accounts, I'm not sure "rollover" is how we would describe the accident happening. If the accident started because the tractor left the roadway and started down the embankment, for whatever reason, it's bound to start rolling over, but that might not have been how it started. Maybe "accident resulting in rollover" might be more accurate than "rollover crash".

In that location, you can't go far without steep hills. Trying to hold a big flatbed trailer back while descending a steep hill could have overwhelmed the drive train or brakes, or lifted the rear end enough to lose traction, or all kinds of things. I suppose an "older model tractor" as it's described in some accounts would have had no 4WD and no front brakes. Also, in this region, many people won't use rubber wheels for religious reasons, and steel wheels on pavement would skid much more easily (Furnace road is paved).

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #129  

1- twinwheels really help,
2- realise counter weights on the front compensate for instability when lifting stuff on the rear and moving about on slopes,
3- most importantly when towing : attachementpoint should horizontally lay below the rear axel !

Attachments

• IMAG1055.jpg
    IMAG1055.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 2016c 2e traktor Iseki TX1510F uit ong 1980.JPG
    2016c 2e traktor Iseki TX1510F uit ong 1980.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
   / Can all tractors flip over easy? #130  
I've had a dozen or more 8n tractors. Never even came close to flipping any tractor ever.