Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #31  
You can get concrete with a 10,000 psi rating. That's what my company used when they built the parking spot for the aircraft they were working on for the government. But, for everyday residential 4K is the most I've heard of, and as low as 2500.

/ Car lift in garage #32  
What is the average length of a vehicle?

My crew cab shortbed Super Duty is 22ft.

Needs to be considerable thought concerning hoist placement. I would suggest visiting a shop or two.

/ Car lift in garage #33  
Santa brought me a 4 post lift last December!
It came with jack plate, casters and drip pans.
Picked up in Orlando was $2420.00.
I got the extended length for my extra cab PU.
It is a 8000 lb lift, model # XLT 8000, found it on ebay and dealt with seller on the phone.
I have a forklift but was easier to assemble with engine hoist.

Attachments

• 101_0260.JPG
    101_0260.JPG
    885.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 101_0248.JPG
    101_0248.JPG
    937.1 KB · Views: 144
   / Car lift in garage
Attached is the lift I was looking at. Attached is my future garage build (48w x 28d). The overall car lift height is around 12' max. I was planning on placing the lift dead center underneath the glulam ridge beam. The ridge glulam beam is around 2' in height so that leaves me around 2' of clearance (16-2=14' 14-12=2') between the lift and the glulam beam.

With the roof slope and the other 2 glulam roof support beams, the height restriction drops to 12' but at that point it's still below the max of the lift so I don't see any issues with even a SUV or truck causing clearances issues with those lower beams. Only issue I can see is the garage door, when open, would interfere with a car on the lift. So I won't be able to open that bay door when there is a car in the air on the lift.

Any thoughts or input?

South elevation.jpg

side profile.jpg

lift.jpg

/ Car lift in garage #35  
We did what you are doing same roof pitch, same width with 9" side walls. We can lift one ton 4 door pick up and it does not hit the ceiling. We also have in floor. So, it can be done. The best hoist is in floor out rigger hoist. Can get in and out of the car, not in the way when not in use. Not advisable with in floor.:) that is the best hoist IMOP if you are going to work on cars. Not practical in most cases but best hoist to work on cars with.

/ Car lift in garage #36  
What are the best type of car lifts for a garage? A 2 post or 4 post?

With a 12-14 foot ceiling height and a 4 inch slab at 3,500 psi. Is that adequate for a lift?
I've had a bendpak 4 post sitting on 6" of 5,000 psi concrete for at least 10 years, I'm very happy with this purchase. I can store a car or tractor on the lift and still park a car under the lift. I wish I'd bought it sooner. I'm thinking about adding a 2 post lift in the bay next to the 4 post, it's about the same cost as 2 decent bridge jack for the 4 post....

I installed the 4 post solo in a day, using a couple of furniture dollies and an engine hoist.

Get a professional assessment on the concrete, that will involve taking a core. My experience with 4" concrete - it's probably 3.5" and if they added water to the pour that 3500 psi concrete could be substantially less. I did my own concrete, I know the my slab is at least 6", it's 24" at the perimeter, with plenty of rebar.

/ Car lift in garage
I will pour a 6" slab with 4,500 psi concrete in that bay.

Can you still park a car underneath a 2 post lift?

/ Car lift in garage #38  
2 posts can be used for storage also with a smaller (shorter) car underneath

Can you still park a car underneath a 2 post lift?
Yes No problem

Attachments

• DSCF0098 (2).JPG
    DSCF0098 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 120
   / Car lift in garage #39  
Mine is a 9K asymmetrical two post with a cable run overhead same as Pettrix has a picture of. No cables crossing the floor and I spend a lot of time on brakes and such so wheels free. You can have the bay door come higher and follow the slope of the ceiling if you use an opening motor on the end of the shaft as opposed to the ceiling mount opener.

When I poured my slab I had a 2' by 2' hole to fill with concrete as a monopour where the lift pads set. Actual block post pour was 28" thick. I also had a rebar cage inside the block. I used 12" anchor bolts. My kids work under it.....

If I were to do it again it would be a 12K unit. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

/ Car lift in garage
Mine is a 9K asymmetrical two post with a cable run overhead same as Pettrix has a picture of. No cables crossing the floor and I spend a lot of time on brakes and such so wheels free.

Yes, I like the one with the cable run overhead as that allows free movement below. Let's say you have a trans jack, it can roll freely without hitting the cable run as it would with a cable run on the bottom.

A 2' x 2' concrete hole is definitely is definetly not going anywhere. With a 6" deep 4,500 psi pour with rebar @ 24" oc. I should be good with the vehicles I will be lifting (mostly stuff under 4,000 lbs)