Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #41  
I had my dealer weld 3 hooks to the bucket before I took delivery of my L2800 HST. Have been that tractor with those hooks for about 15 years pulling trucks out of the mud and every other task I can find for them. Best accessory I bought.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #42  
Thought I'd post an example of using bucket hooks with forks. I had to move our wishing well over our septic candy cane pipe for repairs. These are from when we put the well back into place before repainting it.
20210913_175722c.jpg
20210913_180011c.jpg

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #43  
Its more often my bucket is attached, so I was thinking of adding some bolt on or weld on hooks for using China.

However, I also have pallet forks- and I guess I could also just wrap chains on those….

eh… any pros/cons I’m not considering?

(Mahindra 1640 if that matters for the feedback)
Never wrap chains on forks. It's not safe.
Somebody on here will now post: " I've been doing that for 80 years"
Never wrap chains on forks. It's not safe.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #44  
Seems like someone could fabricate someone kind of hook or chain stop that would slip into the notches on the pallet fork frame?
Something like this could be made to use a chain on the fork:
ball mount..jpg
ball mount.jpg

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #45  
Ok, sorry for a dumb question, but I might use this project as an excuse to get a small welder. Is this a decent application for stick welding? I ask as Ive seen some mention of stick being less than ideal for thinner material…. Not sure if the bucket “lip” qualified as thinner :)
It is a decent application for a qualified welder.
Welding on lifting eyes is not a beginning project.
Serious stuff if your welds fail.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #46  
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #47  
Why would you do that vs welding a grab hook on the bucket.
Why would not? Is your tractor the only place you use a chain?
My guess is if you question the need for a chain shortener, you rarely use a chain!

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #48  
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #49  
Hooks or chain slots on bucket are most useful thing I did to grab/hold/lift things...

bucket-jpg.684518

slots-3-jpg.684517

eyes-3-jpg.684516

The chain slots were just fabricated from some 2 X 2 X 1/4 inch angle iron... The shackle eye was from same angle iron just welded back to back...

Very nicely done. Glad you used Grade 8 bolts.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #50  
I did not read all the previous comments, so this may have been mentioned before. I have a 2" Trailer Receiver Tube welded to the middle of the top lip of my bucket. Allows the use of 2" receiver with chain hook welded on. Also allows use of 2" Receiver with ball size as required. Handy for moving boat / trailer etc. Quick change.
Also have pallet forks, which I find invaluable. One instance where chain on pallet forks could be used (so far I have just used rope) is for planting trees. Spread forks apart and tie rope / chain to each side of large root ball, one rope to each fork & it is very easy to lift the root ball / tree and set in prepared hole.

The Boom in the pic is more elaborate and stronger, but something similar can be made by inserting the upper tube for a boom in the receiver tube and running supports to the lower lip of the bucket.

Attachments

• 3F2218E8-1C38-4682-8725-E5E0CF37C91A.jpeg
    3F2218E8-1C38-4682-8725-E5E0CF37C91A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
  • B1F342E3-B5A9-4057-B70C-5C37C41698AE_1_105_c.jpeg
    B1F342E3-B5A9-4057-B70C-5C37C41698AE_1_105_c.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 109