Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #21  
Lol right until you forget it's in there, and grab a log and smush your chainsaw on it. And then dump it out in the log pile. Lots of stories about people forgetting what is in the bucket until you go to use it. I put all my tools into a dirt pile once.
If I'm not using tools for a specific job, I want them off the tractor. Otherwise I'll get distracted with something else and forget about the tools and lose/smash them.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #22  
Most the time I need other tools additionally to a chainsaw when working.

Tractors could be better improved to support such work like many owners do.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #23  
Most the time I need other tools additionally to a chainsaw when working.

Tractors could be better improved to support such work like many owners do.
Well that's right, we need our atv box filled with junk with us, when we head into the field being a sawyer. Nonetheless, the OP was talking about his sheath mounted on his tractor. :unsure:

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)
I made my saw holder out of a 2' piece of PVC foam core vent pipe (lower crush strength than PVC water pipe) I got at a big box store. I set the oven to 325 and put the pipe in. When the oven reached temp, I took it out laid it between two pieces of wood and leaned on it for about 3+ minutes until it didn't feel hot. FYI: If you reheat it the pipe goes back to kinda round.
My wife was adamant I not use "her" oven to heat the pipe! lol
Sorry I did not get Pictures of it while I was there doing the work. I got into "work mode" and that was that.
Next is a caddy for the fuel and misc other chainsaw tool/parts. Not sure if PVC pipe will work for that application, but we will see.

Another update. 2.5 Acres brush hogged and the saw was along for the ride. Our property is 1/2 trees and 1/2 fields. They are not fairways by any means. More like ski moguls. Very bumpy!
The saw stayed in place the whole time and honesty I forgot it was there... There is no sign of cracks around the mounting holes or any other place.
So this is a keeper!
The only oops I had was the tail wheel falling off the hog.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #26  
FWIW

Although PVC is flame resistant, PVC products release toxic hydrogen chloride gas when heated. These corrosive gases can spread faster than flames, trapping building occupants before they have a chance to escape. Hydrogen chloride gas is lethal when inhaled.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #27  
Just Googled PVC+hydrogen chloride gas. All most of the search results were from questionable sources. I know that Google is a VERY shallow info pool and it showed. I also looked into the (M)SDS for PVC pipe and found information about HCL gas and found that seems to happen when PCV is burned, nothing about when it gets heated, only when burned. The gas is just a part the combustion process. Per the CDC, Hydrogen Chloride gas has a pungent odor.
FWIW The times that I heated foam core PVC I did not notice any odor at all.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #28  
Just Googled PVC+hydrogen chloride gas. All most of the search results were from questionable sources. I know that Google is a VERY shallow info pool and it showed. I also looked into the (M)SDS for PVC pipe and found information about HCL gas and found that seems to happen when PCV is burned, nothing about when it gets heated, only when burned. The gas is just a part the combustion process. Per the CDC, Hydrogen Chloride gas has a pungent odor.
FWIW The times that I heated foam core PVC I did not notice any odor at all.

Not to be argumentative - My company buys from Charlotte Pipe, one of the largest manufacturers of PVC pipe and fittings.
This is a link to their Safety Data Sheet: Charlotte safety data sheet

Besides all the legal jargon contained in it, there is this:
1620403603616.png

According to Charlotte the product starts to decompose when exposed to heat and these decomposition products aren't great.

I called (704-372-5030) their engineering department and they HIGHLY do not recommend doing this.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #29  
PVC electrical conduit is routinely heated to make bends. They actually make heat boxes and blankets for the industry. Greenlee Heat Boxes

During my making of the caddies, the garage door was open with a fan blowing the fumes to the outside. Once it was set in the mold and cooled the door was closed.
Normally I would have done this completely outside, because I am aware of the toxic fumes released by this process. That day the wind was to strong to get the pipe to the correct temperature. Thus the garage and fan for ventilation.

Last edited: