Chainsaw use - alone

/ Chainsaw use - alone #111  
I often cut by myself, but, I step up my game IRT to how things will unfold when I am alone. If there is any doubt concerning the safety involved, there is no doubt, I will step away and reconsider the need to accomplish the task until I have a backup. Adjust to the game...

Always wear protective gear - chaps, helmet, shield...

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw use - alone #112  
Not sure this has been covered here but... Like most of us I cut alone too. I carry a little bag with me into the woods with tools, fasteners, etc. In the outside pocket I carry one of those new easy to use tourniquets and in the first aid kit there is a package of that blood clotting powder for large wounds. Those tourniquets can be had on Amazon for pretty cheap. Just one more level of security for those "what if" situations.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #113  
ALL: i'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but my gramps who logged the hills of the Cascades in the PNW from 1926 to 1997 taught me a couple things. one thing I remember is there is a reason some types of trees are called widow makers. they split and kick back at or fall on you so one method that he do was to wrap a small chain around the tree a few feet above the cut to keep the tree from splitting. he never had any injuries to speak of in all those years and he was also the one driving the CAT D9 making some of those roads that are maybe still a bit scary just to drive on.

i'm liking my Ryboi 18v chain saw and I bet I can cut down or trim most any tree I can reach around if I keep the chain sharp and most days i'm just trimming up stuff around the house. a first aid kit is a good thing to have if you are not close to a house so be prepared.

d9.jpg

/ Chainsaw use - alone #114  
Do not see a Poll option here, but just curious if you ever use the chainsaw while alone. Alone meaning no human within eyesight, earshot, or both.

Only ever used the saw while other family was here, except in emergencies like downed tree across driveway. But I am falling behind on my projects, some of which count on taking logs out of our woods while the ground is still frozen. There is excellent cell reception here, but if I cannot use the phone that is no help.

A lot of people say no way! while many others say, Be extra careful. Most of what I need to do is low on the difficulty scale: cutting downed or felled trees to log length to carry them out.

é„*ccording to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 36,000 people are injured by chainsaws annually. The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches. pretty sobering.

I have, and my wife has. She's fallen in love with using the chain saw after using it last year to cut up a 100 yard long pile of debris from the May, 2018 storm. It's a 40v Kobalt. Wore out the brushes on the old one and had to buy a new one.

Ralph

/ Chainsaw use - alone #115  
Alders are known for barber chairing in PNW. (See link ,feller was killed;great safety video) A Widow maker is a branch or other hidden limb/object that falls on the feller from above... broken top of tree ,broken limbs
See video link.

Steve

/ Chainsaw use - alone #117  
I have always cut wood alone.

I cut a fair amount of wood. For a real logger, it is not much, but for a firewooder, it is quite a bit, averaging around 300-400 cord per year.

Since starting out 30 years ago, I have been cut (3) times. All have been minor.

The first was when I had my saw kick back on a sapling that ran up the back of a tree as I went to make the backcut. It kicked into my shin.

The second was when I working in waist deep snow, and topping off a tree. I was treading through the snow as my saw came down right through my upper thigh. I take sugar in my coffee so I had sugar packets and clotted the cut with that.

The third time was when I cut through a spring pole. That one sent the saw right between my eyebrows at full throttle. I managed to make it to the house, and than by ambulance, and 20 stitches and 4 days in the hospital.

Here is the spring pole I sawed through...

But there are only two logging accidents: minor ones, and the ones that kill you. All mine have been minor! (LOL)

Spring Pole.JPG

Last Cut.JPG

/ Chainsaw use - alone #118  

I cut a fair amount of wood. For a real logger, it is not much, but for a firewooder, it is quite a bit, averaging around 300-400 cord per year.

Since starting out 30 years ago, I have been cut (3) times. All have been minor.

The first was when I had my saw kick back on a sapling that ran up the back of a tree as I went to make the backcut. It kicked into my shin.

The second was when I working in waist deep snow, and topping off a tree. I was treading through the snow as my saw came down right through my upper thigh. I take sugar in my coffee so I had sugar packets and clotted the cut with that.

The third time was when I cut through a spring pole. That one sent the saw right between my eyebrows at full throttle. I managed to make it to the house, and than by ambulance, and 20 stitches and 4 days in the hospital.

But there are only two logging accidents: minor ones, and the ones that kill you. All mine have been minor! (LOL)

View attachment 648202

View attachment 648203

My God !!! I got shivers up my spine just reading this. I cut my jeans once doing a 1 handed cut with my 026 limbing saw. I was barber chaired by a 12" hickory that had a big oak laying on it. knocked me out. You have 9 lives.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #119  
Well, the wife's working by herself in cutting up downed trees, autumn olives, grape vines and oriental bittersweet on terrain that's sloping downhill. No chaps, helmet, shield. I never wore any of those. You have to use good common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

When chipping/shredding, I've ear muffs and full face shield and long gloves and shoes. Naked lately. Generally did all this naked on a pile near my compost pile. Been doing this for 20 years here and 6 in La.

Ralph

/ Chainsaw use - alone #120  

View attachment 648202

View attachment 648203

Years ago when clearing up after Hurricane Isabel, I remember there were zillions of spring poles to contend with. They can be tricky little SOBs and will get you, as you experienced. I got real good at nibbling away on the tension side of the wood to relieve the danger, but even that can be problematic. Some of them will shear right down the middle (just like a small barber chair effect) and pop on you anyhow.