Clearing ground for pasture

/ Clearing ground for pasture #1  

LDR812

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, MF 165
Hi, I have several small fields I need to plow and disc to prepare seed bed. About 4 years ago it was Forresty mulched. It had previously been tree farm and had 15 years or so of no maintenance so was full of overgrowth. Mostly bay trees and various scrubs. All those small stumps and roots are still in the ground. I thought they would be rotted enough by now that it could be turn plowed but my TC33D with a MF 66 2 bottom is really struggling. The plow keeps getting fowled with roots etc. I’m in central florida so also a lot of palmetto roots. Any ideas?

/ Clearing ground for pasture #2  
The 'right' answer is probably to root rake everything, and then disc. If the area us pretty small; maybe remove one of the plow bottoms, to reduce fowling and help it pull?

/ Clearing ground for pasture #3  

New Holland TC33​

New Holland TC33 Weight
2WD Shipping:2,334 lbs
1058 kg
4WD Shipping:2,474 lbs
1122 kg
SuperSteer Shipping:2,588 lbs
1173 kg
Engine Detail
Shibura
diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
Displacement:91 ci
1.5 L
Power (gross):33 hp
24.6 kW
Rated RPM:2800

Is your TC33 2-WD or 4-WD?

Last edited:
   / Clearing ground for pasture #4  
Palmettos I know. Often grows in layers, 1-2-3-4 plants deep.

In my opinion your tractor is just too light. Plow fouls because tractor/plow combination lacks inertia/weight/power to pull through. My 3,700 pound bare weight 4-WD Kubota L3560 would stall moldboard plowing in your conditions.

I suggest finding someone with a 5,000 pound, 6,000 pound or heavier bare weight, 4-WD tractor to contract plow, then root rake your fields (secondary tillage) with a Field Cultivator. A Field Cultivator will rake 14" deep.

A FEL bucket spade is effective digging out Palmettos but requires at least a 3,700 pound bare weight tractor, preferably with a thick, heavy duty bucket. Even teamed with my Kubota RTV500 utility vehicle + dump trailer, clearing Palmettos is a slow, one-at-a-time process. I burn excavated Palmettos.

I have never seen a heavy, primary tillage Chisel plow in Florida but that does not mean none are here. A primary tillage Chisel Plow behind a 8,000+ pound bare weight Utility category tractor might penetrate 14" in sandy-loam and pull most of that unwanted stuff mostly to the surface.

Attachments

• DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 169
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 997

Last edited:
   / Clearing ground for pasture
The 'right' answer is probably to root rake everything, and then disc. If the area us pretty small; maybe remove one of the plow bottoms, to reduce fowling and help it pull?
I was thinking about that. Right now I’m making multiple passes with the depth starting shallow and the getting deeper each additional pass. I’m walking the field and picking up the roots etc that are being turned up. I have 5 fields that are all 5 acres give it take each. About 30 acres total.

New Holland TC33​

New Holland TC33 Weight
2WD Shipping:2,334 lbs
1058 kg
4WD Shipping:2,474 lbs
1122 kg
SuperSteer Shipping:2,588 lbs
1173 kg
Engine Detail
Shibura
diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
Displacement:91 ci
1.5 L
Power (gross):33 hp
24.6 kW
Rated RPM:2800

Is your TC33 2-WD or 4-WD?
4 wheel No super steer. I have the 7308 FEL mounted and am loading the bucket with the debri so it might have an additional 150 lbs or so. Tires are not loaded - no other weight except the plow. It’s heavy - maybe 400lbs

Palmettos I know. Often grows in layers, 1-2-3-4 plants deep.

In my opinion your tractor is just too light. Plow fouls because tractor/plow combination lacks inertia/weight/power to pull through. My 3,700 pound bare weight 4-WD Kubota L3560 would stall moldboard plowing in your conditions.

I suggest finding someone with a 5,000 pound, 6,000 pound or heavier bare weight, 4-WD tractor to contract plow, then root rake your fields (secondary tillage) with a Field Cultivator. A Field Cultivator will rake 14" deep.

A FEL bucket spade is effective digging out Palmettos but requires at least a 3,700 pound bare weight tractor, preferably with a thick, heavy duty bucket. Even teamed with my Kubota RTV500 utility vehicle + dump trailer, clearing Palmettos is a slow, one-at-a-time process. I burn excavated Palmettos.

I have never seen a heavy, primary tillage Chisel plow in Florida but that does not mean none are here. A primary tillage Chisel Plow behind a 8,000+ pound bare weight Utility category tractor might penetrate 14" in sandy-loam and pull most of that unwanted stuff mostly to the surface.

Attachments

• DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 169
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 997
Yes sir - a lot of work. I’ve used the rippers on the box blade with some success. Out in the fields there aren’t any really big palmettos. I’ve kept it mowed down regularly so far the biggest clump of root was about as big around as a gallon paint bucket but only a foot or two long

And I agree I need more tractor. Been looking for a ford 4000 or maybe a MF165

Yes sir - a lot of work. I’ve used the rippers on the box blade with some success. Out in the fields there aren’t any really big palmettos. I’ve kept it mowed down regularly so far the biggest clump of root was about as big around as a gallon paint bucket but only a foot or two long
Thanks for the link and info on the chisel plows. Really informative.