Contemplating a box blade

/ Contemplating a box blade #51  
I have a Land Pride Box Blade - love it

/ Contemplating a box blade #52  
Trying to seal a deal on a Rhino SBX65. Our Kioti 3510 with R4 tires has a width of about 64" at the rear...hopefully the Rhino is wide enough to cover the tractor tracks all the while have enough HP to move a box full of dirt/gravel. Anyone with a similar set up where the box-scraper is pretty much the same width as the tires?

/ Contemplating a box blade #53  
My 48” box blade is just wider than rear tires of my NH TC21D. It works fine as long as I don’t get dumb with how hard I am digging or using the scarifiers.

/ Contemplating a box blade
Anyone have any direct experience between a Landpride and a TSC box?

Figuring to use the box for 3 things. One will be to level creek overflow land, about 3 acres, where they will be removing a zillion small trash trees. Another will be where some stumps have been removed. A third is to even out an old maintenance road cut into a slope: has filled in slightly on uphill side.

/ Contemplating a box blade #55  
@RalphVa I don't see the box blade being all that effective on the old maintenance road where you have fill on the upslope side. I would use a grader blade for that work, dumping the material drug out to the center so I could build a crown.. but the crown would also depend on whether I could cut channels to run the water off.

This summer, we did a lot of work on our driveway up the mountain. Had several places that needed clearing like I think you are speaking about. Water was washing across the driveway from the upslope side because it had no channel to run down the mountain. We cleared the sides, renewing the channels and then made run offs where the water could dump away. We built a high crown to keep the water in the side channels.

We used the box blade to grab material that had been washed downhill and bring it back up the mountain, smoothing the road while doing so. These were very small bites with only a small amount in the box blade. The main shape had been formed by the grader blade.

/ Contemplating a box blade
I've a back blade. Maybe it would be more effective on the old maintenance road? Pretty light weight though.

/ Contemplating a box blade #57  
Yes, Everything Attachments is behind, mainly due to a sketchy supply chain and constant demand, but hopefully the new facility we're working on will help to remedy the wait.

As far as box blades are concerned, we've upped the bar, big time, with our new WICKED easy adjust ripper shanks, which are 100% Hardox 450. It eliminates the need of those pesky, welded on tips, which are known to pop off.

EA Box Blade Full Lineup

View attachment 725942

We can talk about it, but it's more fun to prove strength..
Travis

There could be much improvement in ripper design. I’ve lost points or broken shanks before I could wear them down. Improving the adjustment helpful. Impressive video demonstration the strength of design and materials. Us mountain folk are better at breaking stuff if you want it proof tested ;-)

/ Contemplating a box blade #58  
I was really impressed by how abusive that video was. It was a good sales video in the sense that if *THAT* didn't break it, *I* sure wouldn't break it!

I posted earlier about how a hydraulic top link lets you use the rippers or not use the rippers without having to get off and adjust them. I don't have a whole lot of need for hydraulically moving rippers, BUT.. if you have rippers that power up and down you can also have them swing through an arc that can dislodge any muddy/clumpy stuff that is stuck in the box. Ive seen at least one like that before.

Here's a picture of a tiny tractor pulling an 'oversize' 60" box blade full of dirt, and the electric-over-hydraulic top link. I've found the limit of what I can pull with the box blade is when i drive right over a big pile of dirt and drop the box blade and its trying to push forward the same big pile that my rear wheels are trying to push backwards.. THAT's the limit :ROFLMAO: So I can pull a pile of dirt that sticks out of the front of the box (box already full), but if i jam every inch between the rear tires and the box with dirt, i can't pull that.. Also my poor 3pt can't actually lift the blade under this condition. I have to reverse a bit while lifting to be able to empty some out and be able to lift the blade again. I think the 3pt on this thing only lifts like 500lbs. Still, i find this totally workable. The picture is only showing about half that pile of dirt in the background and it all got put there with 2 tiny Kubota tractors with 48" buckets. Bigger machines would be faster, but this thing is almost like a skid steer in terms of where you can place it and maneuver it.
IMG_8502.JPG

The power top link actually helped maneuverability for me last couple of days because i've been digging around a 24" culvert to build some retaining walls and i was driving the tractors down in the creek bed a little during the process. The tractor that has a backhoe on it was sort of difficult to maneuver, not because it was too long but because I couldn't turn it very tightly without jamming the backhoe into the banks on the side and unloading the rear tires, causing tire spin. I also didn't have room to stick the dipper way up off the ground and drive it like that either. It's 4wd with rear diff lock so i never got stuck, but it was a little annoying. The tractor with the box blade i could tilt the back of the blade up so high I could back right up to the bank and not be hitting and unloading the rear tires. That angle is shown in next pic.
IMG_84981.jpg

Last edited:
   / Contemplating a box blade #60  
I have a box blade and land grader. Both Woods and both 6 ft. The grader is a one trick pony. Does driveways great. Moving dirt not so much. If I'm doing my driveway which is about 1300 ft long I use the grader blade for general cleanup. But if I have some serious washout I use the BB with the scarfires up. I also use the BB to clean up trails out in my woods. If I was to have only one I would have a BB.

20190922_105807.jpg