Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor

/ Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor #21  
Kick *** processor.. I really could put that to use.. I built a big outdoor boiler/stove and she eats 8-10 cords yr. All I have is a hyd lift to hoist the big stuff.. Not everything gets split but the stuff that does is very time consuming.. Nice work..

Got any pics of your boiler build? I'm in the planning stages of that project right now.

/ Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor #22  
I've been watching this thread for awhile and still can't figure out how the log winch works. Do you just plan to pull them up to the deck then reattach the cable further out on the log to basically push it into your log length setup??? How big of a log will go through that little gate?

Wait a minute....I went back through the whole thread for like the 6th time and I see now you have it hinged and the pics I was looking at the ramps were in the up or travel position.

Looks really good but I'm wondering how it's going to work if you get some crooked or stuff that is not fairly round in shape. I do like the winch setup though.

/ Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor
I've been watching this thread for awhile and still can't figure out how the log winch works. Do you just plan to pull them up to the deck then reattach the cable further out on the log to basically push it into your log length setup??? How big of a log will go through that little gate?

Wait a minute....I went back through the whole thread for like the 6th time and I see now you have it hinged and the pics I was looking at the ramps were in the up or travel position.

Looks really good but I'm wondering how it's going to work if you get some crooked or stuff that is not fairly round in shape. I do like the winch setup though.

Yup some of the pics had the ramp in travel position. Basically you winch them up onto the deck then re-attach the cable to the far end to pull it through the processor. I plan on making a video to show it in action.

Crooked stuff within reason shouldnt be that bad. I have 28"+ under the winch to work with. If something is crazy crooked I can still do it the old way and cut it on the ground. The log lift is still functional too for anything really oversize.

Basically it works like this
wallenstein wp820 firewood processor - YouTube

OR this
2014 Firewood Processor Wolverine A Process Wood - YouTube

/ Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor #24  
Yup some of the pics had the ramp in travel position. Basically you winch them up onto the deck then re-attach the cable to the far end to pull it through the processor. I plan on making a video to show it in action.

Crooked stuff within reason shouldnt be that bad. I have 28"+ under the winch to work with. If something is crazy crooked I can still do it the old way and cut it on the ground. The log lift is still functional too for anything really oversize.

Basically it works like this
wallenstein wp820 firewood processor - YouTube

OR this
2014 Firewood Processor Wolverine A Process Wood - YouTube

I see now......looks great. Can't wait to see the video..

I'm in the part gathering stage of my build and like the winch idea. I think though I will have a log table to the side rather than out the back like yours. I'm thinking of something like a cherry picker arm to reach out and grab the logs to place them on the table. Still working out the details.

Got my 8cd of wood. Wood is in short supply here with several month waits for firewood logs now Firewood shortage in Nova Scotia sparks rise in prices | The Chronicle Herald. Its getting pretty ridiculous. Not only that, the wood that is being sold is far from high quality. Small diameter and lots of rot.

20140918_170613_zps7ccb4fed.jpg

20140918_170623_zps73bc9a43.jpg

Here's one decent log. 13.5" dia. Processor and winch handled it fine.
20140919_164436_zps937d7a3f.jpg

A few things will need improving.

I likely will have to put some sort of roller or fairlead like Roger suggested at the log ramp to guide the cable for pulling logs that are too close to the ramp. When they dropped my wood, they didnt set it far enough back so I cant get a good pull on the logs. This should improve once I get the first 10 or so feet of the pile cut.

The other thing is I need to put more weight onto the roller that holds the logs down. It works OK, but more weight would help for those short pieces of wood.

And I got to tweak the hydraulic pressures. Since I installed the new 3 spool, the Autocycle valve only works correct half the time.

Overall though, its been a huge time and labour saver so far. A worthwhile upgrade

20140918_170557_zpsb41c95ef.jpg

I see now......looks great. Can't wait to see the video..

I'm in the part gathering stage of my build and like the winch idea. I think though I will have a log table to the side rather than out the back like yours. I'm thinking of something like a cherry picker arm to reach out and grab the logs to place them on the table. Still working out the details.

Something like this? I came across this video when I was designing mine.

If you want to build a proper log deck then its a pretty good idea. In my experience so far dragging from the pile via winch seems to be working OK, however I might make some sort of log deck next year and use the tractor to load it.. it isnt required but it might make things easier. The hardest part of my installation is the fact that I have to turn the logs 90* to get them into my processor due to the shape of my yard and where I have space to pile my wood and logs; not a problem with logs 10" and under but larger stuff is a bit of work.

/ Converting a woodsplitter into a firewood processor #29  
Too many people to run that. 2 max to make it worth while.

Too many people to run that. 2 max to make it worth while.

You could run that setup with one guy. Load log deck, cut till empty. Repeat.

That video is showing "family wood time". Having two little kids who "want to help" Im real familiar with the concept... Basically a lot of people running around trying to help but doing nothing;)