Dog Bite, New Problems

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #21  
Walking my shepherd a few months back up the road about half a mile from my house, (I carry pretty much everywhere), down the other side of the road walks a pit bull all by himself, he passed and I kept my eye on him, my shepherd has been trained to obey my commands and he did so really well. So they looked at each other, I told my shepherd to "leave it" which he did and I was so proud of him for.

A guy came racing down the road in a truck and asked if his dog caused me any trouble, I told him how it went, he noticed my gun (I open carry out here in the woods), he said thanks for not shooting my dog, he said most people would just shoot it because it's a pit, I said I shoot things that threaten my life and leave things alone that don't..

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #22  
Are you saying it's alright to kill a human because they killed a dog?

NEVER!

Could never figure out how one determines the value of a life though and what lifeform is more important than another...

Three things you don't mess with in life, a mans wife, his money and his dog, in no set order.

I've had a gun drawn and a dog no more than about 7 yards from me. Gun was in my hands when the dog was at 20 yards because he was big and mean looking and was showing teeth. I didn't shoot just because he was mean looking, but more importanty I didn't shoot because he/she didn't show his teeth with raised "continuous" gums, and it didn't get any closer when I already had a bead on him.

As I mentioned, an "agressive dog" per it's behavior can be a subjective term.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #23  
I didn't shoot because he/she didn't show his teeth with raised "continuous" gums,

Who is going to notice "raised continuous gums" other than someone that has dealt with dogs like you have? A lot of people are not going to take a chance because the gums are or aren't raised continuously..

OP I send my best to the little girl..

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #24  
Are you saying it's alright to kill a human because they killed a dog?

ovrszd . . . I was connected with the K9 corps in SEA for awhile . . . I know dogs, they all (even little ones) can be killers.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #25  
I think people get too perverted when it comes to pets like dogs. Granted Dogs are intelligent but they are still unpredictable. Never let them roam from your property, keep children safe from them. I knew a farmer that lost two calves and many wounded calves from a neighbors two pet pit-bulls.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #26  
Clarification.

Daughter talked to the mother this morning. Well, she talks to her three or four times a day. They teach together and are best friends. They are putting a 'wound vacuum' on the leg. Don't know exactly what that is but a lady in our neighborhood with diabetes had to have one on a place on her leg that wouldn't heal.

Also the people at the wound clinic said that the insurance would SOMETIMES take up to fifteen days to approve the machine. I don't have any idea about how their insurance has handled it. I haven't talked to the mother since last Saturday so once again everything is second or third hand info.

Daughter was shown a picture of the girl's leg right after they got to hospital. Said it looked like the pictures you see when a grizzly bear claws something, four long wound channels. The femur was visible.

The wound did not bleed. And Malley never cried. At least until they gave her the rabies shots which went straight in to the wounds. I thought they went into the stomach but that is not true.

RSKY

Regarding the rabies shots....

If you are bitten, they give you globulin shots around the wound (amount based on your body weight), and the actual rabies vaccine is like a flu shot in your arm at day 1, 3, 7 and day 14.

If you have been exposed, but no visible bite marks, they give you the globulin shots in both thighs and both butt cheeks, and the vaccine in your arms like above.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #27  
ovrszd . . . I was connected with the K9 corps in SEA for awhile . . . I know dogs, they all (even little ones) can be killers.

I never implied they can't. If my dog attacked someone without intrusion I would shoot my dog. No attacking pets here.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #28  
I never implied they can't. If my dog attacked someone without intrusion I would shoot my dog. No attacking pets here.

:thumbsup: . . . .

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #29  

I met a retired Army Colonel in 1980 who kept his unit's attack dog from Nam... Jeepers Creepers, that dog looked like he could have killed a dozen unarmed men if let lose. But, he listened to that man and no other.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems
Wife's aunt had a large white Spitz. I had been around the dog and played with him since he was a pup. We visited about every other week and the dog would always bring his toys and I would play fetch with him. One time I brought my sister's kids with us when we visited. They were about seven and three. Don't remember exactly but the little girl was old enough that she could run and I would chase her. So she took off running and squealing and I chased her. I still have the scars on my left arm where the dog attacked me. Five minutes later he was back to being my buddy again. The aunt and uncle were very upset and the uncle was ready to shoot the dog but I knew he was protecting the child from what he thought was a threat.

A couple years later the dog saved the aunts life. But that is another story.

I have had dogs and been around dogs all my life. They are animals and you never know what is going to set one off.

RSKY