Dog Bite, New Problems

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #31  
About 40 years ago, I had a boss that had a black lab for 6-7 years. One night, the boss walks up to his house, opens the front door, and the dog attacked him right there. Bit the %^$! out of him. Then it turned towards the kids. He managed to corral it and had it put down the next day. Never did find anything wrong with the dog. That upset him pretty bad. Don't know if he ever got another dog after that.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #32  
I have had dogs and been around dogs all my life. They are animals and you never know what is going to set one off.

RSKY

Same here and I couldn't agree more..

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #33  
I met a retired Army Colonel in 1980 who kept his unit's attack dog from Nam... Jeepers Creepers, that dog looked like he could have killed a dozen unarmed men if let lose. But, he listened to that man and no other.

That dog was like the Colonel's trigger finger. ;)

/ Dog Bite, New Problems
About 40 years ago, I had a boss that had a black lab for 6-7 years. One night, the boss walks up to his house, opens the front door, and the dog attacked him right there. Bit the %^$! out of him. Then it turned towards the kids. He managed to corral it and had it put down the next day. Never did find anything wrong with the dog. That upset him pretty bad. Don't know if he ever got another dog after that.

I worked with a guy back in the early eighties that had two Dobermans. The guy was single, never married, and those two dogs were like his kids. One night he was sitting in a recliner and reached over to pet one of the dogs on the head. The dog attacked him and got him pretty good. Said he didn't think he was going to get it to back off and the other dog got exited and he was afraid it would also attack. After he got away the dog calmed down he got it muzzled and took it to a vet. The dog had a brain tumor. And he had to put it down. He was upset about having to kill his dog but relieved it was him that was attacked and not some kids in the neighborhood. He was torn up pretty bad and missed a few days of work, came in with both arms and hands bandaged. This was more than thirty years ago and I don't even remember the guys name but I remember that he nearly cried telling us the story.

RSKY

Last edited:
   / Dog Bite, New Problems #36  
I have had a Great Dane, a Mastiff and a Newfoundland in the past, all huge dogs. But these days my biggest dog is a 35 lb Border Collie. Not that it could not do some damage but I would rather have that size of dog after me if something went snap than one of the big dogs I had in the past!

I probably will never get a dog larger than the Border Collie in the future, just easier for me to deal with when going to the vet, in and out of the truck etc.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #37  
Wife's aunt had a large white Spitz. I had been around the dog and played with him since he was a pup. We visited about every other week and the dog would always bring his toys and I would play fetch with him. One time I brought my sister's kids with us when we visited. They were about seven and three. Don't remember exactly but the little girl was old enough that she could run and I would chase her. So she took off running and squealing and I chased her. I still have the scars on my left arm where the dog attacked me. Five minutes later he was back to being my buddy again. The aunt and uncle were very upset and the uncle was ready to shoot the dog but I knew he was protecting the child from what he thought was a threat.

A couple years later the dog saved the aunts life. But that is another story.

I have had dogs and been around dogs all my life. They are animals and you never know what is going to set one off.

RSKY
My Shepherd won't say boo to anyone and absolutely loves people. She went over the fence and put herself between our grandson and his other grandfather. They were wrestling in the front yard in front of her. After that, there was a rule implemented that there is no rough housing with kids at our place

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #38  
Back in the 60's a friend of one of my older siblings had a wolf/german shepard mix. She was a huge! Very pleasant animal. Except....

They had a small child, maybe 4 year old boy. Dog loved him just like a pup. Kid could literally ride the dog like a horse. Great times and good protector of the kid.

Kid did something wrong one day, dad went to grab kid, dog stopped dad in his tracks by taking dad's arm in her mouth and growling. Dad had to back down. No damage to dad. But made him think hard about that dog, and what it might do to him, his wife, neighbor kids, anyone else that might do something to the kid that the dog would misconstrue as aggressive. I think they ended up giving it to a farmer friend, if I recall correctly.