Drawbar towing.

/ Drawbar towing. #21  
Get a trailer mover as others have mentioned.

/ Drawbar towing. #22  
I see what you’re doing. But it seems like you would have to remove the forks to use the receiver? Mine slide along a rail to adjust but aren’t easily removable.
I've got one of these -works pretty well on my pallet forks. I've also used it with a clevis attachment as a light duty jib crane. Apparently they also make a clamp-on version but I wouldn't trust it versus the chain

1702997442878.png

/ Drawbar towing. #23  
If you are wanting to use the FEL for trailer moving and bale spears there are several ways to go. Removing a set of forks from a carriage would not be my first choice by far, of course I do have this which could have a bale spear socket added to it quite easily.
ssqa 4.jpg

/ Drawbar towing. #24  
I’m going to have to take a closer look. I was under the impression that mine aren’t removable, just adjustable on a sliding bar. This is the unit I have:

Apparently they are removable.
That's correct. They are. Slide the fork to the middle where that slot is in the lower rail and lift it off. I've never seen forks that weren't removable. That would be a major design flaw if such a thing existed. Simplest way to put a receiver tube on that would be to off set it to one side of the center support on the frame.

Here are my forks. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I just stepped outside to get the picture and it's getting dark but you'll get the idea. I built mine to be a lot more than just forks. As you can see there are variety of attachment points that can be used to push, pull and secure things in all manner of ways. The ball on top is for moving my gooseneck trailer.
Forks.jpg

Last edited:
   / Drawbar towing. #25  
That's correct. They are. Slide the fork to the middle where that slot is in the lower rail and lift it off. I've never seen forks that weren't removable. That would be a major design flaw if such a thing existed. Simplest way to put a receiver tube on that would be to off set it to one side of the center support on the frame.

Here are my forks. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I just stepped outside to get the picture and it's getting dark but you'll get the idea. I built mine to be a lot more than just forks. As you can see there are variety of attachment points that can be used to push, pull and secure things in all manner of ways. The ball on top is for moving my gooseneck trailer.
View attachment 839264
Thanks. You’ve given me some great ideas. A receiver tube in the middle for moving a bumper pull trailer and one on top for my gooseneck. The receiver tube would also come in handy for attaching a bale spear.

/ Drawbar towing. #26  
I use my drawbar a bit.

Drawbar.jpg

I tend to prefer the Bulldog clamshell type hitches which are almost impossible to pull out of. But, so far I haven't rolled the drawbar out of the hitch.

2 5/16" ball in the middle. I had to ream the hole to make it fit. 2" ball is currently mounted all the way to the right and on the opposite side of the drawbar. No adverse problems.

I suppose a little extra ballast would come in handy at times. I have been using my tiller plus weight as ballast, but had to put on the drawbar to move a trailer, then forgot to swap back.

Perhaps a receiver + ballast?

/ Drawbar towing. #27  
I pull with the standard draw bar that is attached to the rear axle. Why risk potential damage/accidents using a 3-point arm drawbar. And all the other paraphernalia that is needed to help make it safe.

On the other hand - the only thing I have to pull - a farm wagon. The tongue of my farm wagon - attached to a 3-point drawbar - could raise to any height and not be of any concern. My farm wagon tongue is jointed where it attaches to the wagon. Raising the tongue would have no impact on the farm wagon or the tractor.

BTW - after YEARS of practice - I'm finally getting better at backing this wagon.

IMG_0003.jpeg

/ Drawbar towing. #28  
I see you are showing the tractor as your trailer load pulled up on the cross drawbar and then lifted your rears. I hope the landing wasn't too rough.

/ Drawbar towing. #29  
I have a homemade dedicated trailer mover for the 3 point. A 2" ball works quite well for moving both 2" and 2 5/16" trailers. As mentioned a 3 point has no hold down anyways.

/ Drawbar towing. #30  
Nice. Can you buy a bale spear designed to fit in a receiver hitch or did you fabricate that?
Fabricated it. Figured out a 2” adapter’s ID matched the OD of the bale spear sleeve so basically it was meant to be :unsure: