Dump trailer direct wire?

/ Dump trailer direct wire? #31  
Casual is all I ever need out of the electric part of the dump.

I have quick connects on the hoses at the pump. I disconnect them and plug them into tractor remotes for most of my needs. No need for a gas motor/pump combo when a couple hydraulic hoses to the tractor do the trick nicely.

Hauling logs from the woods, doors stay open. No need to even get off seat. Hit lever and keep driving.

View attachment 717905

Does your hardwired trailer pump work sufficiently? I had to put duel batteries in mine because one wasn’t doing it sufficiently. My trailer isn’t a daily used piece otherwise I’d set it up to use my truck hydraulics or put a gas motor on it.

/ Dump trailer direct wire?
Does your hardwired trailer pump work sufficiently? I had to put duel batteries in mine because one wasn’t doing it sufficiently. My trailer isn’t a daily used piece otherwise I’d set it up to use my truck hydraulics or put a gas motor on it.
Haven't used it yet. And probably won't for another couple of months.

Only use it when delivering a load of firewood.

All the uses around here it goes behind the tractor with remotes

/ Dump trailer direct wire? #33  
You won’t deliver firewood for a couple months? Im going to be sold out and done in a couple weeks.

You won’t deliver firewood for a couple months? Im going to be sold out and done in a couple weeks.
I don't advertise. It's hit or miss when I sell, just depends on when/If we get any cut. It ain't about making the money, rather needing to keep woods clean and trails cleared. Only about 20 cord (full) or so a year. I have always sold out by December selling it for just about what everyone else does in my area....bout $170 per cord. Then always have people needing more and we out.

People don't know how to plan and budget. Come Jan or Feb everyone is scrambling to find wood.

So this year...I'm holding out til later in the season when everyone is desperate and wood is selling for $200-$220

/ Dump trailer direct wire? #35  
Back in the day i worked in truck and trailer bodybuilding, we allways used an extra battery on the trailer for any hydraulic powerpack for a dump or a tail lift, with a separating relay that didnt allow the truck battery to feed the trailer battery unless the D+ on the truck was excited (meaning alternator is running) meaning the trailer can never drain the truck battery rendering it unable to start the vehicle to recharge.

The trailer was connected through a direct cable from the battery with an Anderson plug, as used in electric forklifts, because trailer light plugs arent meant to carry this current.

/ Dump trailer direct wire? #36  
I don't advertise. It's hit or miss when I sell, just depends on when/If we get any cut. It ain't about making the money, rather needing to keep woods clean and trails cleared. Only about 20 cord (full) or so a year. I have always sold out by December selling it for just about what everyone else does in my area....bout $170 per cord. Then always have people needing more and we out.

People don't know how to plan and budget. Come Jan or Feb everyone is scrambling to find wood.

So this year...I'm holding out til later in the season when everyone is desperate and wood is selling for $200-$220

I don’t advertise anymore either. I’ve sold to previous customer for the last few years. I know all too well about peoples planning and budgeting problems. I used to get messages all the time with people wanting a half face cord delivered asap because they just put their last stick of wood in the fire and they only have money for 1/2 face cord. Waiting farther into the year to sell properly isn’t a bad idea but I’d rather move my stockpile of wood that I have on hand now and be done with it. It’s better working conditions now and there’s no salt on the roads now. I won’t cut and split any until the temperature drops in the 60s though.

Last edited:
   / Dump trailer direct wire? #37  
A hint for wiring trailers, whinches, etc. which need to have heavy guage wire. Every year about now, the autoparts stores put jumper cables on sale. I can get a 30-ft set of #2 gauge jumper cables for 15 or 30% less than the cost of buying just that much wire. I keep a couple of sets of. Jumper cables around, to use when i need heavy gauge wire.

I don’t advertise anymore either. I’ve sold to previous customer for the last few years. I know all too well about peoples planning and budgeting problems. I used to get messages all the time with people wanting a half face cord delivered asap because they just put their last stick of wood in the fire and they only have money for 1/2 face cord. Waiting farther into the year to sell properly isn’t a bad idea but I’d rather move my stockpile of wood that I have on hand now and be done with it. It’s better working conditions now and there’s no salt on the roads now. I won’t cut and split any until the temperature drops in the 60s though.
I understand.

It's been wood cutting weather here for the last few weeks.

Got maybe 20 cord home in log form. Mostly bucked and about 10-12 cord split.

The weather don't bother me. Takes about 5 min to load a full cord on the dump trailer with the grapple and just grabbing in the pile. So don't have much time spent working in nasty weather

The way I see it....I only have time to cut a given amount of wood in the year. And it takes the same amount of time to cut, haul, split, deliver, etc. So rather than jump the gun and sell early season discount wood. I'll set on it and get more $$$ for my time.

A hint for wiring trailers, whinches, etc. which need to have heavy guage wire. Every year about now, the autoparts stores put jumper cables on sale. I can get a 30-ft set of #2 gauge jumper cables for 15 or 30% less than the cost of buying just that much wire. I keep a couple of sets of. Jumper cables around, to use when i need heavy gauge wire.
Yup. It's done with 2ga.

I tent to shy away from cheap jumper cables. Usually cca wire and the clamps suck.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing jumper cables to wire