Echo issues??

/ Echo issues?? #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I bought an Echo cs-490 last year, and used it for perhaps 5 hours. Nice, saw, and with a replacement chain that was more aggressive than the "safety" chain it came with, it cut well.

I hadn't used it for maybe 4 months (stored with ethanol-free canned gas) and just tried to start it. I simply can't properly pull the starter! It's as if I lost half my muscle strength. I have checked it by removing the spark plug, and it pulls smoothly, easily, and turns over freely. Clutch and chain are fine, and removing the chain and bar doesn't change anything, but then, it shouldn't, either. I can get thru one compression stroke only, and that's with effort. What the heck is going on??? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. FWIW, my smaller Echo cs-360 still starts and runs just fine. I don't think I have a sudden muscle wasting disease.

/ Echo issues?? #2  
I had a Snapper? string trimmer that did the same thing. After a winter storage, it was almost impossible to pull, but easy with plug out. Over 20 years old, so I got rid of it and bought an Echo. :)

Bruce

/ Echo issues?? #3  
My 490 has a compression button on the motor to make it easier to pull start. I hope it turns out to be something minor as I"ve got over 100 hours on mine and it runs great. I did open up the exhaust a bit to help it breathe better.

/ Echo issues??
Yah, Roadhunter, I did the exhaust opening procedure as well, and re-adjusted the mixture... Compression release???? I don't think mine has one, or if it does, maybe it's linked to the choke or something? Tell me about yours?

/ Echo issues?? #5  
The compression release on my Echo is simply a black button on top of the motor. Simply put, push it in and it opens something in the combustion department for easy pulling. As soon as ypu pull it over, the engine ignites and the compression will slam the button closed and the motor runs.

/ Echo issues?? #7  
Current model CS-490 doesn't have a decomp valve. Not sure why the saw won't pull over for you though -- seems odd to me. That is a good saw.

/ Echo issues?? #8  
I've got a CS-6700 (30 years old), big engine...if it has set for a couple of weeks, it too has a lot of compression...but once it fires up (usually withing 3 pulls when cold) its much easier..suggest you put your right foot thru the handle floor plate to hold it down and pull the starter rope with your right hand...once its started, it will restart easily...I assume the coefficient of expansion on the piston/cyl walls has a lot to do with it...PS: I wouldn't trade that old Echo for any new saw...it cuts so fast its scary...BobG in VA

/ Echo issues??
Bob, believe me, I stick my foot thru the handle and stand on it... I struggle to jerk the pull cord thru one compression stroke, and two seems un-obtainable! Like I am suddenly weak, but as I said, the CS 370 starts just fine. Sort of at a loss here what to do here. If I can't start it, maybe I will tear the cylinder/piston down to inspect it. But, it pulls thru so nicely when the spark plug is out- smooth and easy, I just can't imagine scoring or so other problem that is causing this.

/ Echo issues?? #10  
If it pulls easily with the plug out, that probably eliminates cylinder/piston issues, doesn't it? Its most likely a compression issue. Pull the muffler and try it with the switch off. If you can pull it with the muffler off, but not with the muffler on, maybe the muffler's faulty? Just guessing. Good luck.