FEL bucket not staying up

/ FEL bucket not staying up #31  
After inspecting the seals, you probably noticed that they have two different side shape designs. Just a reminder to get the new ones on correctly.

/ FEL bucket not staying up #32  
LD1 another thing to add is that you can destroy the seals by over forcing the cylinders by not using the bucket in the correct position. If you do a lot of forward or backwards scraping with the cutting edge vertical to the ground it can put a huge amount of force on the cylinder usually on these tractors it will buckle the 2 side plates that are laying by the cylinder in the pictures but if it doesn't it can really intensify the pressure in the cylinders and it will extrude out the seals like the ones shown. No pressure relief between the cylinders and the valve.

/ FEL bucket not staying up #33  
Thanks for the tear-down photos. I had not encountered this failure before (where fluid from the rod end leaked into closed end and cavitation compensated for the lost volume of the rod). I had it all wrong in my early post (#3). For some bonehead reason, I had it in my mind that the rod was extending to curl the bucket. One glance at a photo shots that was wrong.

/ FEL bucket not staying up #34  
Interesting thread. I had a similar symptom, but a different cause. My problem started with a fairly loud bang, then the grapple would fall down. When I broke it down I found the nut had come off the end of the rod inside the cylinder on one side. Tore down the other side and found it was also loose. This was on a machine with about 270 hours. While I had it apart, I replace the seals and used a good dose of thread lock on the nuts. Would like to see a lot more time before it happens again!

/ FEL bucket not staying up
Glad you were able to get it apart with out any problems. You may already know but I'll remind you it does't hurt to warm up those seals in hot water that you have to turn into a butterfly shape to install.

I haven't taken the seals off yet. Don 't like to lose my reference. Now where would this 'butterfly' shape seal be at ? Possibly inside the metal head ? I will go get some O-ring lube to ease installation. Good tip on the warm water for the plastic seals !

After inspecting the seals, you probably noticed that they have two different side shape designs. Just a reminder to get the new ones on correctly.

Haven't taken them off yet until I get the new parts this week. Thanks...I will look closely to the way they go on. Is there a seal on the inside of the metal head ?

LD1 another thing to add is that you can destroy the seals by over forcing the cylinders by not using the bucket in the correct position. If you do a lot of forward or backwards scraping with the cutting edge vertical to the ground it can put a huge amount of force on the cylinder usually on these tractors it will buckle the 2 side plates that are laying by the cylinder in the pictures but if it doesn't it can really intensify the pressure in the cylinders and it will extrude out the seals like the ones shown. No pressure relief between the cylinders and the valve.

You are correct. Always careful about not letting the bucket get vertical while in contact with the ground. Sometimes though as most of us know the bucket gets out of position....ouch !

Interesting thread. I had a similar symptom, but a different cause. My problem started with a fairly loud bang, then the grapple would fall down. When I broke it down I found the nut had come off the end of the rod inside the cylinder on one side. Tore down the other side and found it was also loose. This was on a machine with about 270 hours. While I had it apart, I replace the seals and used a good dose of thread lock on the nuts. Would like to see a lot more time before it happens again!

Have read various threads about loose nuts. I am putting new self locking nuts on.

/ FEL bucket not staying up #39  
I haven't taken the seals off yet. Don 't like to lose my reference. Now where would this 'butterfly' shape seal be at ? Possibly inside the metal head ? I will go get some O-ring lube to ease installation. Good tip on the warm water for the plastic seals !

He's talking about folding the seal up like this:

Untitled.png

either with a tool or your hands, to help install the seal. They can be quite difficult to install if you have not done one before and have not been shown.

He also mentions to warm the seals up in hot water to make them more pliable, which is a great tip.

He's talking about folding the seal up like this:

View attachment 546929

either with a tool or your hands, to help install the seal. They can be quite difficult to install if you have not done one before and have not been shown.

He also mentions to warm the seals up in hot water to make them more pliable, which is a great tip.

I watched a video " ask tractor mike" on youtube showing new seal replacment. The mechanic had one of there tools shown in your pic. It was on the inside of the metal head. If they are not to much I will get one. Thanks for the tips !