FEL Hydraulics Just Died

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #41  
Seems to be pointing in that direction MikeT.
Just a heads up, on my pump removal, it should have come out fairly easily after disconnecting hoses and bolts securing it. That was not the case, the pump would not “unplug” from the housing/drive gear no matter how hard I pulled. I even attempted to drive wedges between the housing and pump body. I did some damage but finally got it free. The problem was due to the drive gears damage, the splines (pump to drive gear) were damaged/misaligned which caused all the resistance. I hope yours releases easier than mine.
If your gear is the problem as in my case, you will have to decide if it’s a job your comfortable doing, (no slight against you, you may be better turning wrenches than me).
That gear is buried under quit a few parts.
Maybe it’s just the pump.

Mike

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died
@mike0000

Thanks again for the info!

One of my concerns is with getting parts in this difficult supply chain time.

My tractor service manual briefly describes the removal of the 2 pumps. But this service manual describes nothing about the internals of the engine itself (CAT 3024CT engine). My engine has a good-sized cover over the area of gears (this cover is also the throttle body). At the moment, I have no service manual about the engine workings. If I have to remove this cover, I have no idea exactly what's inside. In your pictures, it appears that you did remove this cover over the gears. Did you need new gaskets for this cover or was the old gasket OK? When you removed this cover was the pump gear accessible or did you have to remove other gears to get to the pump gear?

Thanks again.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #43  
Are your pumps two sections bolted together or are they separate pumps with separate drives off the gear train like the ones in post #34?

Example of a two section pump: Hydraulic Pump - Kit for Branson Tractors | Reed and Reed Sales

The two section type has one pump driving the other. If that's what you have and the steering pump is still working, then you have drive to the pumps and the main pump must have failed internally.

We'll see when I get it off.

Here's a picture of my my pump setup (before I cleaned the zone).

Thanks!

Sorry... forgot to attach.

Attachments

• tractor_hydraulics_fail_05_small.jpg
    tractor_hydraulics_fail_05_small.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 123
   / FEL Hydraulics Just Died #46  
Sorry... forgot to attach.
@mike0000

Thanks again for the info!

One of my concerns is with getting parts in this difficult supply chain time.

My tractor service manual briefly describes the removal of the 2 pumps. But this service manual describes nothing about the internals of the engine itself (CAT 3024CT engine). My engine has a good-sized cover over the area of gears (this cover is also the throttle body). At the moment, I have no service manual about the engine workings. If I have to remove this cover, I have no idea exactly what's inside. In your pictures, it appears that you did remove this cover over the gears. Did you need new gaskets for this cover or was the old gasket OK? When you removed this cover was the pump gear accessible or did you have to remove other gears to get to the pump gear?

Thanks again.
Yes, supply chain could be an issue. In my case that gear was not to be found in the US, it had to come from S. Korea. I waited close to 2 months for parts. (Also had issues w/getting incorrect parts, long story). I did have to remove the front cover, but yours looks to incorporate the IP, mine did not.
I think yours could be even more daunting than mine was.
My tractor has a Kukje 3 cylinder diesel engine. Once the front cover was remover that gear was easily removed, maybe a little work tapping the bearing out (My gear has a bearing pressed on each side). My front cover was sealed w/gasket sealer but no actual gasket, I reassembled the same way.
Mike

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #47  
I think I’d just start by removing the hydraulic pump, and test/see what you find? I’m hoping you just lost your pump and the drive gear is still good.

Mike

Found the problem. Very similar to Mike0000's issue.

The PTO gear that drives the Main Pump is worn.

@mike0000

What is this gear called? I have a CAT 3024CT engine and the bulge in the front cover where this gear lives is called the PTO. I can't find anything about this gear on the CAT site or from other sources.

I need a new gear with the bearings pressed on.

The Main Pump shaft is also worn so that will have to be dealt with as well.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tractor_hydraulics_fail_16_small.jpg
    tractor_hydraulics_fail_16_small.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 94
  • tractor_hydraulics_fail_17_small.jpg
    tractor_hydraulics_fail_17_small.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 87
   / FEL Hydraulics Just Died #49  
If the gear comes bare you can get a machine shop to press new bearings on it. You should be able to get the bearings from a bearing supply house at probably a lower price than the dealer. Just bring them in and ask them to match.

Is there any damage to the pump splines?

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #50  
I did the freeze one part heat the other trick, pressed on easily in my vice.

(Stuck the gear in the freezer overnight)

Last edited: