/ Flail mower #1  

Skramps

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1526
Hey guys. I've been reading your discussions for months but just joined today. I bought a Massey Ferguson 1526 (25HP) a few weeks ago with a box blade and I'm looking at getting flail mower now. This is my first tractor and I'll be using it around my property and as an addition to my small business where I do landscaping and other things.

My question is on sizing of flail mowers. One of my local dealers has a Titan FL-165 flail mower (64" and rated 25-40hp) for around $2,100, and an FL-135 (52" rated 23-35hp) for a few hundred cheaper. I saw in someones youtube video that they keep their bucket slightly off the ground when bush hogging so that the bucket would hit a rock or stump before the mower does. If this is how it's done would you size your mower to your bucket width or do you just want as wide as the tractor will handle to cut down on time?

Attachments

• Titan.jpg
    Titan.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 148
   / Flail mower #2  
Rule of thumb is get a cutter that covers the width of the tires, that applies to any type/style of cutter. If your tractor can handle wider that's fine if you and your wallet OK with the extra cost.

/ Flail mower #3  
your tractor is a 25hp tractor. the flail mower (64" and rated 25-40hp) is hp needed AT the pto. they are not the same.
your pto hp is rated at 20hp.
Find a flail mower at least the width of your rear tires rated at 20hp.
You can cheat a bit by slowing down your travel speed while mowing.

Maybe something like...
Betstco standard 48" maybe even the standard 53".

Some guys try to race thru cutting and need higher hp. If you are the guy who listens to what the tractor is telling you it can do, go with the 53"

Since mowers are scarce to find during mowing season they are really easy to resell. Might even go with the 60" and give it a try. keep your travel speed low to start and set your depth of cut a bit high at first. if its too much drop down a size and resell the 60".

/ Flail mower #4  
Or just don't take the full width for a cut! After the first lap you can take as much as your tractor can handle.

/ Flail mower #5  
You can also buy a smaller flail mower that will offset to either side and will cover the tire track. Also meet the minimum PTO hp requirement.

/ Flail mower
your tractor is a 25hp tractor. the flail mower (64" and rated 25-40hp) is hp needed AT the pto. they are not the same.
your pto hp is rated at 20hp.
Find a flail mower at least the width of your rear tires rated at 20hp.
You can cheat a bit by slowing down your travel speed while mowing.

Maybe something like...
Betstco standard 48" maybe even the standard 53".

Some guys try to race thru cutting and need higher hp. If you are the guy who listens to what the tractor is telling you it can do, go with the 53"

Since mowers are scarce to find during mowing season they are really easy to resell. Might even go with the 60" and give it a try. keep your travel speed low to start and set your depth of cut a bit high at first. if its too much drop down a size and resell the 60".
Completely forgot about the pto hp! Really good information, thank you.

/ Flail mower #8  
Flail is not a bushog. Your tractor should have absolutely no issue running the larger flail mower.