FMC sidewinder

/ FMC sidewinder #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Does anybody remember a bush hog called a sidewinder made by I believe FMC. If I remember correctly it had a tire in the pto linkage to the gearbox. In my area the power companies used to use them. I think the tire took the banging strain off the pto shaft to the tractor as you hit stuff.
Does anyone still make something like that? I remember they were very heavy also.

/ FMC sidewinder #2  
I have two sidewinders. Indestructible.

/ FMC sidewinder #3  
I bought one at an auction over thirty years ago. Found it needed more work than I had time to put into it and sold it at another auction. As I remember, there was no gear box. The rubber tire ran on a disk that drove the blades. I think they were attached directly to the disk. Now I want another one and hope we both find what we're looking for.

/ FMC sidewinder
I bought one at an auction over thirty years ago. Found it needed more work than I had time to put into it and sold it at another auction. As I remember, there was no gear box. The rubber tire ran on a disk that drove the blades. I think they were attached directly to the disk. Now I want another one and hope we both find what we're looking for.

oh that makes sense
thanks

I haven't seen one for many years myself.
japody my recall of them is that they were indestructible also.

/ FMC sidewinder #5  
Every sidewinder I've seen had a slip clutch,no tire on pto.

/ FMC sidewinder #6  
I found some old information on SideWinders at Yesterdays Tractors. The thread gave mixed signals as to whether the rubber tire drive model is still in production or any SideWinders for that matter. The thread was OLD and things change over time.
Link 1. Sidewinder cutter any good ? - Yesterday's Tractors
Before buying a used SideWinder it might be good to call the one or more numbers at the link above or the one below and get an idea of the price of SideWinder parts.
Link 2. SIDEWINDER WAREHOUSE, Republic MO
TractorHouse.com has several SideWinders listed. I'm not ready to buy yet so good luck.
Link 3.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...uipment-rotary-mowers/manufacturer/sidewinder

/ FMC sidewinder
Every sidewinder I've seen had a slip clutch,no tire on pto.

sidewinder.jpg

I found a picture of one
stuckmotor put in a bunch of interesting info about them

Attachments

• sidewinder 2.jpg
    sidewinder 2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 2,859
   / FMC sidewinder #8  
i did some more research on the WWW.

One more SideWinder in a five year old video.
SIDEWINDER SW6 For Sale - YouTube
Black Sheep Mower located in Alabama is selling the Brush Beast mower and some other models. The tire drive models look a lot like the SideWinder and some remind me of the Brown Tree Cutter which isn't tire drive. A right of way crew came through my area with what I think was a Brown Tree Cutter. From my reading, the tractor was built for right of way work and had around 100 hp and a high speed PTO. There was no need for a chipper where they shreaded in my severely over grown pasture.
Brush Beast
Black Sheep Mowers, Brush Beast - YouTube
Black Sheep Mfg. - Home | Facebook

/ FMC sidewinder
that is very interesting
i will be watching them
thanks yes just like the sidewinders

/ FMC sidewinder #10  
I got the sidewinder with yellow gear box and slip clutch I think a GB720, does anybody know what years those were for sale. I'm just finishing a fix up on one. It looks as though the front center had been hit by stumps or rocks. The front beam was cracked in two and bent, and the left front by the removable side shield had fallen off from deck rusted through and being struck also. The blades, gear box and clutch look perfect, holds oil, spins freely. Stump jumper is huge and heavy, I'm replacing the blade bolts they show wear, blades look new. Reworking the 3 point hit to fit my cat 2 tractor, added a bushog flex top link, lowered the side pins and top pins to get more lift. I use it for sapling tree removal. I know its older than my 1966 Ford diesel 3000. The Ford owner said he bought used from the state when he bought the ford tractor new. So the thing could be as old as me!

Here is a pic of a 60" without a removable side plate.

Attachments

• SDW4a.jpg
    SDW4a.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 994