Free Ford 1210

/ Free Ford 1210 #31  
I also wish You hadn't taken the rusted out belly mower to the scrap yard! I am a little bit handy with sheet metal and a welder and a rusted out one still makes a good pattern!
A rear mounted mower doesn't hug a tree nearly as close as a belly mower!
Let me know if you take possession of the 1210 and if it goes up for sale.
David from Jax

/ Free Ford 1210 #32  
I had a 1710 12yrs back and the rod that the valves rockers rotate on broke (between #1 and #2 cylinder) it was low on power and not up to the task I had for it so it began to gather dust as a kubota stepped into the picture.

/ Free Ford 1210
The shift is only for you to decide how much power or speed is needed. You pick a gear at a standstill, let out the clutch and you are working. No shifting while moving like a car. With a FEL you will need 4WD and real tractor tires, not the lawn tires it is fitted with now. You also would be better suited with a rear mount grass cutter. Belly mowers are a pain to move on and off. The rear mower would also be needed as counterweight if you do go with an FEL. Good luck to you.
Learning to use a manual transmission on a tractor is not at all like using one on a car or pickup. Don't let it scare you. Just put it in the gear you want and go. You don't working about going through the gears.

Thank you guys for confirming. Someone said there is a "learning curve" and I am sure there is. I will probably be able to use it no problem as long as you are only messing with the clutch from stopped position. Does anyone know what the trans is like on this? Like where 1st and Reverse are in case I get it started? I also believe he told me this model is 2WD.

/ Free Ford 1210
I also wish You hadn't taken the rusted out belly mower to the scrap yard! I am a little bit handy with sheet metal and a welder and a rusted out one still makes a good pattern!
David from Jax

Yeah thanks for all the help, if I decide to sell it I will give you the opportunity to purchase first.

/ Free Ford 1210 #35  
Well I would suggest they speak bluntly. I am thinking I am going to take the effort to at least 'mess around with it' with my friend. Because I would rather mess around with this machine put a little money into it and learn on a free machine rather than one I spent $10,000. My friend also knows his stuff, not to brag. He buys old Briggs engines and bought a shop after the pandemic hit. He has been working on cars ever since. Not that he started there.

What I am trying to say is that him offering to help me is an opportunity to say the least.
Here is an older Shibaura tractor refresh...
He was able to put it back to good running condition with what looked to be a minimum of new parts. I would have reversed the rear tires though.

I say go for it.

We learn by doing

Last edited:
   / Free Ford 1210 #36  
Here is an older Shibaura tractor refresh...
He was able to put it back to good running condition with what looked to be a minimum of new parts. I would have reversed the rear tires though.

I say go for it.

We learn by doing

Wow! Never a broken bolt, stripped threads or any fitting problem that couldn't be fixed with a ball peen hammer!
David from jax

/ Free Ford 1210
David from Jax

I thought about that before taking it. Like "is this repairable or could it be worth more than scrap metal to someone?". It was in pretty rough shape though, not saying that you could not have done something with it. Another thing that was probably on my mind is upsetting this guy. I do think about taking this tractor or something, making a profit off of it and upsetting him in the process. It cannot be helped though.

/ Free Ford 1210 #38  
I do think about taking this tractor or something, making a profit off of it and upsetting him in the process. It cannot be helped though.
Yep, that's awkward. My neighbor had an auction in which one of the items had been a gift from his friend. Turned out, the friend was at the auction and was pretty upset with my neighbor.

I think you could truthfully tell your friend that you would like to have the 1210 to restore and see if it fits your needs, but if you can't find a loader or if traction is an issue, then you would have to trade it in on something else. That lets him decide.

/ Free Ford 1210
Yep, that's awkward. My neighbor had an auction in which one of the items had been a gift from his friend. Turned out, the friend was at the auction and was pretty upset with my neighbor.

I think you could truthfully tell your friend that you would like to have the 1210 to restore and see if it fits your needs, but if you can't find a loader or if traction is an issue, then you would have to trade it in on something else. That lets him decide.

Yeah, people are funny when it comes to money. I do not want him to feel betrayed if I decide to sell or trade. I do not know if you saw my previous posts but I have worked for this guy for many years. Anyway this is the best advice, someone else mentioned it as well. I will tell him before I move it from his property.

/ Free Ford 1210 #40  
If it was me I would accept the freebie and then find a use for it. Look for an FEL but if you can’t find one just forget about it until one appears. Meanwhile find a use for the 3pt hitch on the back. Make sure your wife with is OK with this gift. No sense in pissing her off for something you are only luke warm about.