Fueling tractor

/ Fueling tractor #101  
What you guys find to be the better way of fuel transfer to get away from lifting 5 gal jugs to fill tractor
Don’t use enough for 50 gal drum with pump

/ Fueling tractor #102  
Ditto the harbour freight pump. Takes
about three minutes to empty a five gallon can. Good deal for $10 on sale

/ Fueling tractor #103  
If you have a smaller tractor, don't need to move a lot of fuel, etc., worse comes to worst, transfer to a gallon container with a hand siphon "pump" and pour from the gallon jugs. Slow but reliable and, when I've done it that way, never spilled a drop.

I could handle 5 gallon containers but I could also dig ditches and move dirt in a wheelbarrow. But, that's why I got a tractor - to make life easier! However, if you need to move gallons and gallons of fuel and need to refill often, better find another way than a gallon at a time.

I like the idea of an elevated container and siphoning/draining directly into the tractor tank. But, I'd prefer not to get into any "dregs" at the bottom of a larger tank without a adequate pre-filter.

I find that some fuel sources are more prone to contamination that others - Including algae. (Even with a biocide.) I have tested a couple of sources and found one to be much better than my original source. Shop around.

/ Fueling tractor #104  
I know it's crazy. You guys had snow and me more north only had rain.
I've used one of the old school hand pumps (mine happens to be from the 50's) and installed a filter on the outlet side of it. Snowing like crazy now so I don't have a picture but pretty much the same as the picture below. Easy, no power needed, fairly fast. Uncomplicated.
View attachment 694858

/ Fueling tractor #105  
Put some 2x4s across your loader arms and put the fuel can on them. Then raise a little so the can is higher than the tank opening.

/ Fueling tractor #106  
What you guys find to be the better way of fuel transfer to get away from lifting 5 gal jugs to fill tractor
I use a Tera pump. It screws right onto the fuel can. It has auto shutoff also. It uses 4 AA batteries. I have been very pleased with it. I found it on Amazon.

/ Fueling tractor #107  
I went whole-hog and bought a used 275-gallon fuel-oil tank. I plumbed it directly to our 6KW diesel generator (emergency backup to the solar power system), and added a hose and nozzle made from PVC pipe and a valve to fill the tractor. Photo is attached.

The generator and the tank live behind our octagonal tractor shed. Here's a link if anyone is interested in that: Octagonal tractor shed

Attachments

• Diesel fuel tank.jpg
    Diesel fuel tank.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 94
   / Fueling tractor #108  
i still use 5 gal. cans but I leave them on the ground and fill a 1 gal. can with a big funnel to fill the tractor. It takes about 4 trips but I only need to do it about once or twice a month.

/ Fueling tractor #109  
Well, you only have 11 pages of goodies so far and more has to be better.

I use one of these 35 gal tanks intended for insecticide and farm chemicals. You do need to replace the gaskets at the outlet with fuel tolerant ones. I find the 35 gal size to be just right for my rate of utilization.

P1200661.JPG

This was all from Tractor Supply. Works fine using gravity feed out of pickup truck or however you move it around. Actually I have an old junker Subaru wagon at the farm and this fits in the back of the Subaru nicely. Use a large heavy plastic pan under it for spills. Then I got tired of waiting on the slow gravity feed and the nuisance of finding high and low ground adjacent, etc. ... so I bought a 12v pump via Amazon Amazon.com: New 12V 175W Biodiesel Kerosene Pump Cast Fuel Oil Diesel Transfer Pump 45L/Min: Automotive which is so much handier and quicker. It pumps 12 gal per minute. I attached some transparent hose so I can watch the fuel flow. Also I drive the pump typically with a battery charger so I can plug it in the wall of the garage but it is nice to be able to use 12v when needed too.

fuel pump 12v.jpg

/ Fueling tractor #110  
Started with 5 gallon cans with a hand pump all mounted on a small trailer, then 40 gallon drums with a hand pump then 3 years ago moved to a 300 gallon bowser with an electric pump which has paid for it's self because the fuel delivery is at a much better price.