Gas for chainsaw...

/ Gas for chainsaw... #32  
Maybe it's because you use them regularly. Try letting the corn gas sit in your saw for a few months unused and report back.
Are the examples of the Mac 10-10 not run for several YEARS, and the back-pack blower not run since October reports enough?

Jeesh///

/ Gas for chainsaw... #33  
Maybe it's because you use them regularly. Try letting the corn gas sit in your saw for a few months unused and report back.
It depends on the engine. My saw can sit for 6+ months at a time with fuel in the tank and it always starts right up. Got a couple weed wackers/string trimmers that are a bit fussier about fuel, so I run them dry if they're not going to be used for a while. I only use E10.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #35  
My 24-volt Kobalt chainsaw starts up every time, regardless of weather. Zero trips to the gas station. Only oil it needs is for the bar. Tool-less chain adjustment. Doesn't wake up the neighbors when I use it. I think I'm hooked. The Stihl Farm Boss just sits on the shelf now.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #36  
For a few years I couldn't find any station convenient to get non-ethanol fuel. Now almost every Buccee's has dedicated non-ethanol fuel pumps. Really handy but also QT near me has non-ethanol and several stations in East Texas are now carrying it.

I still use TruFuel or MotoMix in my stihl equipment. Everything just starts and runs better.

Non-Ethanol for all the mowers.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #37  
Just for reference, in the FWIW category, both of my Stihls specify 89 Octane minimum. I would definitely go by what is in your manual.

Higher octane will reduce knock, but it puts more heat into exhaust manifolds and mufflers due to the combustion delay.

I have thought it would be fun to try one of these tuned up, nikasil cylindered, high HP, nitromethane breathing chainsaws. Not enough to build one though...

All the best,

Peter

/ Gas for chainsaw... #38  
Chainsaw gas, all 2 stroke gas really, falls into the “I use what works for me”. I run enough of it to have tried all things. And for my Stihl chainsaws the only thing that doesn’t give me trouble is pre-mix. For my weed/brush cutters I use whatever, it doesn’t seem to care. But the chainsaws definitely did. My weed eaters don’t run all that great, but I can get stuff done. I need my chainsaws to run well and the only things that did was premix, I run Motomix. I hate the price but I hate vapor lock worse and no matter what I used only Motomix didn’t vapor lock.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #39  
Just for reference, in the FWIW category, both of my Stihls specify 89 Octane minimum. I would definitely go by what is in your manual.

Higher octane will reduce knock, but it puts more heat into exhaust manifolds and mufflers due to the combustion delay.

I have thought it would be fun to try one of these tuned up, nikasil cylindered, high HP, nitromethane breathing chainsaws. Not enough to build one though...

All the best,
fitness calcualtor
Peter
thank you so much for your suggestion

/ Gas for chainsaw... #40  
While Henry Ford demonstrated that a Model T could run on ethanol, the politics behind blending ethanol into gasoline has been a mixture; farmers who wanted a bigger market for their corn, environmentalists who wanted a fuel that had lower emissions with less fossil carbon, and others, including some oil companies, and many counties and states who saw an increased tax base. Against that were other farmers who worried about getting enough grain for their animals, environmentalists who were against 'agribusiness', oil companies, car companies, other states who weren't getting a slice of the pie, and the list goes on.
The reason for ethanol in gasoline is that it is oxygenated fuel reduces tailpipe emissions nitrous oxide (N2O) which is one of the primary ingredients of photochemical smog. They tried MTBE, which turned out to be both persistent and water soluble. They switched to ethanol, which is also water soluble, but almost everything can metabolize it. Other alcohols will work, but they are more expensive to produce.

The law only requires oxygenated fuel in areas where smog could make breathing hazardous. The oil companies said, "Screw that. We're not going to run separate supply chains for ethanol gas," and just mixed it with everything. In many areas it's legal to pump E0, but it's not available in quantity. In my area, if they don't sell enough chainsaw and lawnmower gas, they can pump it into cars. The result is that E0 regular and premium is available anywhere.

So, does anyone else run Seafoam in their chainsaw, weed eater, leaf blower, and lawnmower engines? Seafoam is not the only one I use; any fuel system cleaner gets mixed into the 5 gallon tank, a quarter of a can at a time, along with StaBil. I also use Red Line, a 2-cycle synthetic racing oil that is better suited to air cooled engines than TCW-3. NAPA carries it.