GC1705 Project-additional hydraulics

/ GC1705 Project-additional hydraulics #1  

07keo02

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC1705
The GC1705 has been sitting WAY too much since I bought it in 2017 (60 hours). Looked at trading in for a 1725MB but have decided I can get more for my money with DIY mods.

Starting this thread to document progress over the next few weeks but plans are this:

1: SSQA dl95 adapter, mine currently has a pin on bucket. Already ordered this and should have within a week or so. Eventually I will weld on a plate to stock bucket, but this will be lower priority as it doesnt get used much.

2: True 3rd function Solenoid controlled hydraulic valve (HSV) for working a grapple.

3: Coming off the HSV, i will plumb in another handle controlled valve that will be rear remote set for working a hydraulic top link.

4: If this all goes well, and I can afford it....ill likely invest in the Cold Roll Industrial Grapple.

I have been looking for a specific fit hydraulic kit since I bought this, and they just don't exist. I figured, if I can accomplish this, it will be good to document where it may be useful to others. Updates to follow soon.

Last edited:
   / GC1705 Project-additional hydraulics #2  
The GC1705 has been sitting WAY too much since I bought it in 2017 (60 hours). Looked at trading in for a 1725MB but have decided I can get more for my money with DIY mods.

Starting this thread to document progress over the next few weeks but plans are this:

1: SSQA dl95 adapter, mine currently has a pin on bucket. Already ordered this and should have within a week or so. Eventually I will weld on a plate to stock bucket, but this will be lower priority as it doesnt get used much.

2: True 3rd function Solenoid controlled hydraulic valve (SCHV) for working a grapple.

3: Coming off the SCHV, i will plumb in another handle controlled valve that will be rear remote set for working a hydraulic top link.

4: If this all goes well, and I can afford it....ill likely invest in the Cold Roll Industrial Grapple.

I have been looking for a specific fit hydraulic kit since I bought this, and they just don't exist. I figured, if I can accomplish this, it will be good to document where it may be useful to others. Updates to follow soon.
Good luck with hydraulics ..I been trying to figure out how to do power beyond (PB) for a while on my 1715, and can't even get any information on how back hoe plumbing on 1710 and 1720 differ from 1705 and 1715 with out back hoe... MF glossy brochure states PB is available and even give part number, BUT corporate, and local dealer have no clue and when I put number into a search I get JD implementation...

And be leery of some of the sketches in manual for PB, there is some incorrect designation on some of the ports....

Last edited:
   / GC1705 Project-additional hydraulics
Good luck with hydraulics ..I been trying to figure out how to do power beyond (PB) for a while on my 1715, and can't eve get any information on how back hoe plumbing on 1710 and 1720 differ from 1705 and 1715 with out back hoe... MF glossy brochure states PB is available and even give part number, BUT corporate, and local dealer have no clue and when I put number into a search I get JD implementation...

And be leery of some of the sketches in manual for PB, there is some incorrect designation on some of the ports....
Take a look underneath your tractor. If it is set up like mine you will see the top line in photo (most right line on tractor). It is the one that goes from hard to flexible. This is power beyond from FEL valve and runs to 3ph. I will be tapping into the line here and using the PB of the added valve to hook back up to the flexible line running to the 3 point. I believe there is a cap on the no BH version that can be used as an additional tank return on the right side of the tank or these can be t'd into.

Thanks to Jerry at mytractortools for helping me understand the plumbing.

Attachments

• 20210305_194752.jpg
    20210305_194752.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 192
The loader valve nice and tucked where pb port is near impossible to reach without full removal, hence why tapping into the line underneath makes sense.
20210307_174003.jpg
20210307_173909.jpg

The hex plug where I am fairly certain I can use as the return to tank for the additional valve.
20210307_174147.jpg

/ GC1705 Project-additional hydraulics #5  
Take a look underneath your tractor. If it is set up like mine you will see the top line in photo (most right line on tractor). It is the one that goes from hard to flexible. This is power beyond from FEL valve and runs to 3ph. I will be tapping into the line here and using the PB of the added valve to hook back up to the flexible line running to the 3 point. I believe there is a cap on the no BH version that can be used as an additional tank return on the right side of the tank or these can be t'd into.

Thanks to Jerry at mytractortools for helping me understand the plumbing.
Thank you.... I was aware of the three line under tractor, but I did no know what line served what purpose.... Now that I know what line is FROM FEL PB port rest should be simplified (except for access)...

Thank you.... I was aware of the three line under tractor, but I did no know what line served what purpose.... Now that I know what line is FROM FEL PB port rest should be simplified (except for access)...
No problem, I have came across your threads many times in preparation for this project. That is part of the reason I wanted to share it here, to help others.

On another note, the valve I am using for the grapple does not have a power beyond port, yet it shows it can be plumbed in series to the next valve using the tank return line. Why is this able to work? I was under the impression that every valve in series had to have a PB and tank return, unless of course it is the last valve in series PB wouldn't be required.

Attachments

• D03-Third-Function-valve-Configuration-with-backhoe-2.jpg
    D03-Third-Function-valve-Configuration-with-backhoe-2.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 167
My guess is that it can work for 2 reasons:

1: The return T port is rated for fairly high pressures (3000 PSI) though I would not recommend running more than one of these valves in series.

2: Rather than diverting some flow to PB, the 3rd vunction takes all priority in the system in the moment it is used. So any excess fluid still runs downstream to the next valve but what you get there is all you get, if any. When it isn't being used it flows straight through to the next valve in series which would basically get full PB flow from loader valve.

I could see this potentially being an issue of causing poor performance downstream when the 3rd function is active. In my case, that will only be the single spool remote valve for hydraulic top link and the 3 point hitch. It is not a big deal to me as I dont see myself working the blade and grapple at the same time.

This is all my best guess, but I believe this will work. If anyone can clairfy the reasoning for the lack of PB on the electrically controlled valve that would be great.

Parts shown have shipped. I'm hoping they will arrive by Friday and I can work all day on it, preferably while local hose shop is open so any adapters etc can be acquired.
Screenshot_20210309-180115_Outlook.jpg

Got the parts in, though the quick connect bulkhead fittings were missing, so the front hoses are just hanging for now.

Decided to just go all out and mount the lever controlled valve for rear remotes as well.

Have to make another trip in the morning for more adapters....british pipe thread....errrr. Full write up coming when complete.
20210312_183502.jpg
20210312_183456.jpg
20210312_183240.jpg
20210312_183231.jpg
20210312_183508.jpg