General Maintenance Question

/ General Maintenance Question #1  

Alberta Brian

Tractor
T.B.D.
I'm looking to pick up a tractor for my acreage and have been offered a good running 1965 MF135 with the Continental motor. It’s more tractor than I need but the price is right. My question is can I realistically maintain it in a regular garage? For example: if I wanted to pull the head could I do that my self with out fancy hoists etc? How much does the head weigh? I have the technical skills but the parts on tractors of this size look heavy.

Thanks

/ General Maintenance Question #2  
I think you'd be hard pressed to do it without risking damage to the head. But it shouldn't take much of a hoist, even a basic comealong secured properly to the ceiling could get the job done. Bigger issue would be splitting it in a small garage, just need to ensure you have sufficient length or have a plan to roll one end out of the garage.

/ General Maintenance Question #3  
I had a D7 Caterpillar dozer I pulled the head on myself outside in the open. No hoist. Way bigger than a MF 135. Just take care of it. Check everything each time you use it. Keep it greased. I drove to Alaska in a 40 year old truck. I can be on the Gulf of Mexico easily six hours. Just take care of it and use it. Even new things mess up because not taken care of.

/ General Maintenance Question #4  
I've repaired or rebuilt my MF65 from front to rear over the years and never found parts too heavy to handle. When I hit my late 60s I picked up a cherry picker aka engine hoist and stopped manhandling things. A compact tractor take's as much space to park and maintain as the 135 so that's not an issue.
A solid MF135 is a workhorse and can be resold for what you paid anytime from a week after buying it to 10 years down the road. Did I mention I like old iron (look at my sig)?

/ General Maintenance Question #5  
In my opinion lifting the head is the least of your concerns. A chain hoist is around $90 at Tractor supply and a good investment anyway if you don't have one. The head can't be all that heavy as another guy said. HOWEVER, that better be one heck of a good price on the old MF135. We have no idea of your circumstances, what tasks you have to do, how much acerage you are working, what other equipment you have or attachments you already have, etc. Being a Continental means it is gasoline, right ? Any idea how many hours? Do you not need/want something that is 4WD ? Too many questions to recommend you much. What makes you think its "more tractor than you need?" We talkers out here are full of opinions but need more to go on to offer you much help.

p.s.: the old Continental 4cyl engines ran forever it seemed like. I have a 1954 MH Pacer with a continental 4cyl that runs fine, does not use oil and will run for 2 days on a 6 gal tank of gas. No idea how many hours , not high. But then the diesels run even longer (probably) and have some advantages in tractors with torque, etc.

/ General Maintenance Question
I've got 5 acres of gently rolling pasture. The only grounds work that needs to be done is mowing a fire-break around the house. And that could be done with a self-propelled walk behind mower. I'd potentially use a tractor to cut back the twitch grass that covers most of the lot. I'd also use it to plow snow and move the boat in and out of the water. Someday I might to get ambitious and grow some hay: maybe. So the tractor would be mostly a passtime in it-self.
The unit I'm looking at is a 1965 that is still used regularly. I'm o.k. with it running on gas; saves having to mess with two fuels and for the amount I'd be using it the running cost are mostly irrelevant. Tidy MF135s seem to go for around $5000 in this part of the world; I'm pretty sure I can get the one I'm looking at for less.

Last edited:
   / General Maintenance Question #7  
I totally agree with everything you said JWR. I would like to add a couple of things. The curb weight of a 135 combined with sizable tires put down enough pulling power to handle most ground engaging impliments. For heavy fel work water + anti-freeze is all you need. While it's true diesel engines last longer,when time for repair does come very few owners have tools and skill for doing serious repair. My experience has been that few compacts are worth rebuilding and that's why you don't see many with high hours. One with average mechanical skill, basic tools and IT manual from TS can complete 90% of work required for gas engines.

/ General Maintenance Question #8  
I've got 5 acres of gently rolling pasture. The only grounds work that needs to be done is mowing a fire-break around the house. And that could be done with a self-propelled walk behind mower. I'd potentially use a tractor to cut back the twitch grass that covers most of the lot. I'd also use it to plow snow and move the boat in and out of the water. Someday I might to get ambitious and grow some hay: maybe. So the tractor would be mostly a passtime in it-self.
The unit I'm looking at is a 1965 that is still used regularly. I'm o.k. with it running on gas; saves having to mess with two fuels and for the amount I'd be using it the running cost are mostly irrelevant. Tidy MF135s seem to go for around $5000 in this part of the world; I'm pretty sure I can get the one I'm looking at for less.
OK, seems to me with some boat launching and snow removal at times you will wish you had 4WD, even if a lighter tractor with less total capacity. I've bought a couple of different Kubota B2150's over the last few years -- both 4WD and both identical 4 cyl 24hp diesels, one HST and one stick -- that handle 5ft bush hogs well, one had a belly mower, etc. Could use a blade for medium (not heavy) snow removal. Neither had a loader. You won't have a loader with a MF135 either. I paid less than $5K for each of the B2150's.

/ General Maintenance Question #9  
bought a MF30 a few years ago. It had a 5' brush hog with it. 6500 hours on the hour meter. Ran like a swiss watch. very dependable. Mowed pasture grass just fine. Just service and keep it up.

/ General Maintenance Question #10  
My FIL has kept 2 tractors of comparable size running for 60yrs. Never had an overhead hoist, just an engine hoist. Rim and tire condition will probably be your biggest problems.