Generators, sizes and fuel options?

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #61  
We've seen some integration efforts in this thread, like the battery backup for pellet stove. It's a wonder to me that nobody markets a Stirling powered electricity-free pellet stove. A quick check did find one pellet boiler that has an optional Stirling engine generator.
Here is an electricity-free pellet stove

This might also work

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #62  
An off the wall source is a car battery. I have an inverter you hook directly to a car battery when we had an aquarium and I was worried about the fish during outages. It’s pretty low power, maybe 750 watts but will power some small items. I have a Dodge Challenger I keep parked all winter and would pull the battery out of it if needed.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #64  
Another question - I started looking into parallel kits. As always I'm trying to save $$$.
Some mfg's are selling open frame inverter generators.
I presently own 2 "open frame" non-inverter generators in Virginia for my houses there. The noise is liveable with in an emergency.
The cost difference between open frame inverter and nice "quiet" enclosed inverter generators is significant.
For example Champion Power Equipment 100520 8750-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter is about $950. The Champion Model #100719 8500-Watt Inverter (quiet, enclosed) is about $2,300.
So I could purchase 2 of the open frame for the less than the cost of 1 quiet.
Now to find a parallel kit.
About the same could be done with 2 HF Predators.
/edit - and the question is does anyone know of parallel kits for that size generator?

Last edited:
   / Generators, sizes and fuel options? #65  
FWIW: we put in solar, and then a few years later added battery back up for outages. They have no issues pumping water (15kW sustained output, 21kW surge output). Switch overs are generally seamless, but under two scenarios when we need power the most, there isn't much solar power (nearby fires, with heavy smoke and extended overcast storms in wintertime.) So, we have generators, just in case.

I think that @Larry Caldwell's comments about being smart about how one integrates technology into running your daily life at home, and generally thinking bout the big picture is really good advice. E.g. insulating the house better cuts down in AC and heating loads, and having multiple ways to cook is just, well..., prudent.

One thing to be aware of for parallel kits is that most only get you 120V, unless you are looking at synchronizing kits, which are a little different, and take some operator smarts, at least in my opinion.

All the best,

Peter

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #66  
One thing to be aware of for parallel kits is that most only get you 120V, unless you are looking at synchronizing kits, which are a little different, and take some operator smarts, at least in my opinion.

parallel kits are nothing more then wiring, all the technology is in the inverter side of the generator, and as such if they are capable of 240v like the EU7000 series they will do 240.

synchronizing, kits I assume your talking about mechanical generators , where you watch phases with a light bulb and then lock them together via magnetism in the rotors, 99% of people are talking about the first options, the second one can literally be explosive.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #67  
Disclaimer: I live in 230/400V land so can't try myself, however I am an EE... I don't see why you couldn't make up your own 240V "parallel" unit for 2x 120V inverter generators (that support parallel operation) by using a 120/240V autotransformer or a 120:120 isolating transformer wired with the winding in series.

/ Generators, sizes and fuel options? #68  
   / Generators, sizes and fuel options? #69  
   / Generators, sizes and fuel options? #70  
parallel kits are nothing more then wiring, all the technology is in the inverter side of the generator, and as such if they are capable of 240v like the EU7000 series they will do 240.

synchronizing, kits I assume your talking about mechanical generators , where you watch phases with a light bulb and then lock them together via magnetism in the rotors, 99% of people are talking about the first options, the second one can literally be explosive.
Thanks! I hadn't seen one for 240V before.

All the best,

Peter