Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #161  
Not to harp on this, but from a pure geographical basis, you simply aren't correct.
This is TBN. Being correct is optional.

Attachments

• C53CEDC8-C6FD-4914-9F41-166A43CBC31A.jpeg
    C53CEDC8-C6FD-4914-9F41-166A43CBC31A.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 80
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #162  
term limits!
I've been opposed to those for years, on the basis that it's the people's choice to elect the same people over and over again. Yet my viewpoint is starting to change... if an incumbent doesn't step aside, it leaves little room for new ideas.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #163  
This is TBN. Being correct is optional.
Ha. I’ve been wrong on here plenty of times myself. Its a basic human right, or something.
We all come here with our own inherent prejudices and preconceptions.
sometimes i feel like arguing a point; mostly, you just gotta let it go LOL

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #164  
I've been opposed to those for years, on the basis that it's the people's choice to elect the same people over and over again. Yet my viewpoint is starting to change... if an incumbent doesn't step aside, it leaves little room for new ideas.
we have term limits for presidents.....except fdr

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #165  
we have term limits for presidents.....except fdr
Until FDR there were no formal term limits. It was simply an agreement, started when George Washington refused to run for a third term.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #166  
Until FDR there were no formal term limits. It was simply an agreement, started when George Washington refused to run for a third term.
again, what's good for the president should be good for the congress.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #167  
Pretty simple. Anything east of the Mississippi is a glorified steep hill at best ;)

LOL. I Really missed the mountains after I left Calgary and moved east. Then I discovered cottage country here in Ontario and I feel better now. Pretty good hill right behind our cottage. And a nice creek running down, underneath the road, and right across the front of our cottage into the lake. Reminds me of the little streams that I used to fish in the Rocky Mountains South west of Calgary when I was a kid.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #168  
LOL. I Really missed the mountains after I left Calgary and moved east. Then I discovered cottage country here in Ontario and I feel better now. Pretty good hill right behind our cottage. And a nice creek running down, underneath the road, and right across the front of our cottage into the lake. Reminds me of the little streams that I used to fish in the Rocky Mountains South west of Calgary when I was a kid.
At the end of the day, I don't want to sound like a Texan, but as far as elevation on "high ground" goes, I've stood at some pretty high points loving what I'm seeing.

Thing is though, the below pic is my back yard mowing (which I do for my shooting range LOL).

L.png

Elevation per my zip code is slightly over 1,000 feet (and there is a creek right behind the tree line at the bottom of the picture that my boys loved to play in).

Be it well over 10k feet or at sea level, what makes you happy is what makes you happy.

Be it we retire somewhere else in NC, East TN or out west where the snow isn't to bad, I'll be happy as long as my wife is by my side (Florida or the North East is out of the question though, and my wife agrees, which is one reason why I think I married her 🤣).

Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #169  
Well, by definition, the hills are higher because the peaks are at a higher elevation. All the relief nonsense is just about the fact that the base of the Appalachian hills are narrower. The Appalachians seem like a longer range until you realize that the Black Hills are considered by geologists to be part of the Rockies range. The biggest claim the Appalachians can make is that they are older.

The people who named the Appalachians had not seen actual mountains yet, so they didn't know any better, bless their hearts. By the time white folks saw the Black Hills they had already seen the Rockies, so in comparison, they seemed like hills. East coast bias has been here since the Pilgrims landed.
What's a mountain and what's not is entirely relative to the surrounding area. In California, there's a "coastal mountain range" which rises about 3000' from the coast (0' elevation obviously) to the peaks about 15-20 miles inland. These "mountains" are green typically, and while they're typically steep in spots, they're decidedly "hills" in other parts of the world, but they're still rugged and very tough to live on (because steep, hard to access, and... lots of slides).

I grew up in Mount Shasta CA, where we were at 3250' and literally 10 miles away the mountain peak is at 14162'. Now that's a mountain!

My guess is that in the 16-1700's the Appalachian mountains earned that moniker because you couldn't farm it like the valleys. Not flat? Mountain.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #170  
At the end of the day, I don't want to sound like a Texan, but as far as elevation on "high ground" goes, I've stood at some pretty high points loving what I'm seeing.

Thing is though, the below pic is my back yard mowing (which I do for my shooting range LOL).

View attachment 717202

Elevation per my zip code is slightly over 1,000 feet (and there is a creek right behind the tree line at the bottom of the picture that my boys loved to play in).

Be it well over 10k feet or at sea level, what makes you happy is what makes you happy.

Be it we retire somewhere else in NC, East TN or out west where the snow isn't to bad, I'll be happy as long as my wife is by my side (Florida or the North East is out of the question though, and my wife agrees, which is one reason why I think I married her 🤣).
Beautiful picture that captures the ideal of rural...

Can you retire in place?