Good Gloves?

/ Good Gloves?
Speaking of dexterity I caught these on sale a couple years back for about $10 a pair and bought several pair. Still have some unworn. They were good for dexterity. I like them but good quality leather gloves beat them any day for durability.

Men's Duluth Trading Work Gloves - Duluth Trading

/ Good Gloves? #12  
Handling my heating wood is a killer for leather gloves so I tried ones in the link and they outlast leather by a long shot, still on my first pair and still holding up. I don't see a reason to go back to leather.

Showa 451 Atlas Therma Fit Insulated Winter Work Glove -6 PAIR- Choose MD,LG,XL | eBay

When I was logging, leather didn't hold up at all. Tried them all: cow, pig and elk. In leather, elk held up the best but too expensive to keep buying. Went with just the old fashioned cotton chore gloves with good success.

/ Good Gloves? #13  
A short story - a few years ago I had several LARGE piles of old Ponderosa pine trees(3" to 5" on the butt and 25' to 35' long) to chip up. I wore a good pair of leather gloves and they lasted exactly two days. The old dry bark on the pines combined with the ultra vibration from the chipper "sanded thru" the gloves in two days. I tried - no gloves - and it became immediately obvious that was not the answer. I've found that Lamont cotton work gloves do the best.

/ Good Gloves? #14  
I specifically wear out the tips of my right middle and index fingers while the rest of the glove remains just fine.

I like tight fitting gloves which give good dexterity. I don't handle things which are 'too' rough or thorny and as Barbed wire is about the worst so a basic protection is all I need.

I spent a LOT of $$$ looking for gloves. I've spent $5- 50/pr on Ironclad, Mechanix, Wells Lamont, etc etc etc. You name it. My hands are my bread and butter, so I am very careful with them. I spent about 6mo looking for gloves that would work well at any price... and I failed in all but about 2 sets. Mechanix had a pair that worked well, but they changed them and they decreased their usefulness for me. And at $36/pr they were very expensive for a consumable in my mind. The second pair which worked were from... HF.

I buy the inexpensive leather gloves with a little elastic on the back, from HF. They work great for me, and by the time the finger tips wear out, the velcro is also going and I'm ready for a new pair. I buy about 10 pairs at a time when they go on sale. They typically last about 2-3mo depending on what I am doing. I typically have a 'grease pair' and an 'everything else pair' on the tractor. I keep a pair with me at all times when I'm on the farm and wear them for everything I do that isn't delicate work. Their dexterity allows me to do most everything I want that would require a glove.

I have different gloves for in the shop where i just need to stay clean. I use these PU coated knit gloves. They work GREAT for grip and a light protection while maintaining dexterity. They keep my hands relatively clean and at $1.99/pr they can be used and tossed when necessary.

They are definitely a consumable item for me, but I have high standards of what I want and need when I use gloves. Doing what I do for a living, keeping my hands in good order is a must. And I've found these gloves do the trick for me during 3 seasons. They are too thin for severe cold, however.

/ Good Gloves? #15  
What is your best work glove?

I would not say these are my best, because that varies by season. Since spring, I've been wearing leather palm work gloves by Wells Lamont. I usually buy 3 pair at a time. At $3.75 a pair and a reasonable shipping cost, I'm happy to buy from this eBay seller. They won't be my "go to" come winter however as my fingers might freeze.

So .. with that said .. I just bought 6 pair of the Showa winter gloves recommended by milkman, above.

Thanks for the topic.

Mens Leather Palm Work Gloves by Wells Lamont - 316 - M | eBay 2017-10-19 (2).png

/ Good Gloves? #18  
I specifically wear out the tips of my right middle and index fingers while the rest of the glove remains just fine..

I also wear out the tip of my right middle finger. Dang neighbor drives by many, many times every day. :D

/ Good Gloves? #19  
I was issued heavy duty leather gloves at work, but when I retired and used them for logging and land clearing around my place I was disappointed to find they didn't last long. Found some cheapies at HF and tried them. They last a lot longer than any expensive gloves I have tried. And they are cheap. Frankly, I don't remember any of them wearing out and I have been using them for 10-15 years.
I was pleasantly surprised!

/ Good Gloves? #20  
North Star White Ox Glove w/ Elastic Band

These very heavy White Ox cotton gloves set the standard in the manual aspect of the logging industry in the PNW. I've been wearing them since the 70's. Got a pair in the shop, in each rig and on the bench by the door. The bestest.