Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #51  
God bless ya, I have done a lot of interesting things I shouldn't have, and never worried much about most of it........... but, Those damn jacks scare the crap out of me to this day.

Best,

ed
Yep. They can knock your darn head off, break your arm, or even end you.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #52  
Interesting. I've never owned one and since I've lived this long without one I'm guessing I'll never buy one. I just can't imagine all the uses one would be good for.
I have used them to level portable buildings and to jack them up to get rollers under them, and to lift sagging decks. Also useful for pulling fence posts. Where people get into trouble is not putting a solid footing under them, concrete blocks or a 4x6. I would never use one on anything that rolls.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #53  
Where people get into trouble is not putting a solid footing under them, concrete blocks or a 4x6. I would never use one on anything that rolls.
Also, people jack their vehicle up and expect it to stay there. I've seen guys start crawling underneath a truck to put blocking under it. Not only is that tiny base not stable; but the beam will pivot inside of it.

Still, it can be a handy tool if used with caution. They have gotten me out of a lot of places messes, before I found out what that "R" on the shifter stands for.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #54  
Inevitably I will need a serious Jack or two, so I might as well get them BEFORE I really need them.

just looking to start arguments about whether to stick with the handier 48” size, get the extended capability of the 60” size, or maybe just get one of each.

Then there is the question of which model version, just to liven things up.

thoughts?

thank you!
They are so handy. I have a 3' farm jack I used many times without any problems. Funny I went to a garage sale this morning and purchased a Hijack 484 for $10. It needs cleaning and lubrication but looks like it was sitting in the barn for a long time. There so handy. Like all machinery you have to use common sense.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #55  
They are so handy. I have a 3' farm jack I used many times without any problems. Funny I went to a garage sale this morning and purchased a Hijack 484 for $10. It needs cleaning and lubrication but looks like it was sitting in the barn for a long time. There so handy. Like all machinery you have to use common sense.
It is funny, I am usually the one that feels if you understand your equipment and pay attention you will be fine. Something about those things, I feel like I am working by a coiled snake............

Best,

ed

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #56  
It is funny, I am usually the one that feels if you understand your equipment and pay attention you will be fine. Something about those things, I feel like I am working by a coiled snake............

Best,

ed
IMHO, you feel that way because you DO understand your equipment.
I've got two and feel the same way.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #57  
Had one for many decades now. Used a few times and worked well. Rugged and reliable. Not my favorite tool but sometimes the right tool for the job. Having adequate base support important for any jack. Have some attachments that makes it more useful and safer. Don’t recall a situation where an extra foot longer would have been helpful. HiLift offers rebuild kits for pins and springs. Has to be lubed well to work well. Be wary of import copies.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #59  
I used a hy-lift jack just the other day on a galvanized culvert that had the end caved in, it was perfect for the job and worked great, I have also used them many times on large 3 pt hitch tractor implements that were unhooked on un-level ground or had sunk down on one side and the hy-lift was perfect for it, sure anything can be dangerous if not used properly, know your limitations and if you don't feel safe using one, don't.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #60  
I've had a Hi-Lift Xtreme 48" since 2014, and I have used it. I also consider it a tool of last resort. It has tried (never successfully) to hurt/maim/kill while being used. They are awesome once you pull of that task, but they are scary as all heck to use... especially after you have witnessed a situation where the jack base slips (even on flat concrete) or the item being manipulated moves and the jack becomes a violent 60 LB projectile. They demand MAXIMUM respect and fear, and if you keep that in mind, you may use it and never remove teeth or snap bone with it. I hate it, I am scared to use it, but I also have been in situations where it was the only thing I could use.