How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further?

/ How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #21  
If I am not Mistaken , They Do make longer Shanks . I do know they make 4 hole , which yours only appear to be 2 hole . I purchased 4 hole for My home built ripper , Which is not as nice as Yours , but functional . I woud have to say , Mine will bury the shanks all the way up to the cross beam . So with the 4" tube , plus 1 hole stuck above the tube for a pin to hold it , I am looking at a good 10" to 11.5" of penetration . My issue is that I have to go side hill or downhill for My TC30 to pull it with 8 shanks .

ripper 1.JPG ripper 2.JPG

Fred H

/ How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #22  
I have an implement that has box blade shanks on it and is some sort of a mini ripper or scarifier. It does not penetrate as much as I think it should and only goes maybe four or so inches deep.

DOGS: Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with a Chisel Plow?

Attachments

• M156.jpg
    M156.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 324
  • wPIX--ChiselPlow5520-P7.jpg
    wPIX--ChiselPlow5520-P7.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 809
   / How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #23  
Maybe I'm missing something, but the shorter the top link it seems like the more the points will be pointed down at the ground. If you lengthen the top link enough, the points wouldn't even engage and the rippers would just ride on the curved shank. If I was doing this I would instinctively shorten the top link. Am i way off base here?

Kenny, if you were looking at in person you'd see the need to lengthen. I doubt the top link will extend far enough to make the shanks ride on their heel.

/ How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further?
DOGS: Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with a Chisel Plow?

I've got an 8 ft chisel plow but need the big--90 HP, 9000 lb-tractor to pull it and I have to trailer it 15 miles away to do the job which really doesn't require all that tillage. I just want to rip the sod or packed ground enough to make it easier on my equipment when I rototill it. The tractor for the smaller ripper/scarifier is easier to trailer and less expensive to operate. This little ripper thing would be the perfect ticket to break up hard ground or sod in a hurry.

The shanks have three holes compared with four holes on the 2" longer shank. They are long enough for what I want once I get it all the way figured out..

/ How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #25  
The shanks on your ripper look just like the shanks on my Rollover Box Blade, so I have a pretty good idea of the draft force resisting your ripper.

I also have a Dirt Dog Field Cultivator. A Field Cultivator is easier to pull as the points, at the end of parabolic tines, are pulled through the earth almost horizontally.

6/10/2015

Field Cultivators and Chisel Plows have parabolic shaped tines in common. Parabolic tines pull much easier through soil than angled shanks, such as those equipping Box Blades. From my observation, this is because parabolic shaped tines have the forward part of the tines in nearly a horizontal position working the soil. Field Cultivator tines are tipped with sharp, chisel points further reducing draft resistance.

Each sharp chisel point on my Field Cultivator is 2" X 10" = 20 square inches, oriented horizontally. Chisel points are uniform 5/16" thick. Tines are 1/2" wide.

Box Blade shanks are angled at 45 degrees to reach the bottom of road potholes and chip out surrounding hard road surface. They are designed for rigidity to apply bludgeon force. Box Blade points have an edge but get fat immediately.

Each Box Blade ripper point on my Rollover Box Blade is 1-1/4" X 5-1/4" = 6-1/2 square inches, oriented at 45 degrees. Orientation at 45 degrees hugely increases draft resistance. Box Blade shanks are 5/8" wide.

The engaged five tine Field Cultivator pulls easily, relative to my five shank Rollover Box Blade, with shanks down.

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 916
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 558
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 376
   / How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #26  
Just do what you have to do to make the lift arms drag on the ground, then add weight to your tool bar until the engagement is as deep as you desire. It's not rocket science, and it does not take new or different tools or implements.
You may need to adjust , reposition or modify the side links however.

Jeff9366--I do like that RO600 Bush Hog. Any more pics?

This is the chisel plow I use if I need to but it takes some serious HP. It's 17 shanks from an IH Vibrashank on an 8' frame. I have 2" wide chisel type points on it and it does a great job tearing up old sod. Only one pass or it will bunch up. I can switch to 5" shovels for weed control on plain dirt.

IMG_4891.JPG

Last edited:
   / How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #28  
For you, DOGS, sure:

Attachments

• DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391
  • DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 622
  • DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 449
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 192
jeff9366--That RO600 Bush Hog is something I have never seen before. I've never had the need for a box blade but sure could find a use for that tool. Seems like it would be very useful for anything involving dirt works and if I owned one would likely never sell it. Your disc looks surprisingly effective too. Are those 20" notched blades on it?

/ How to make box blade type shanks penetrate further? #30  
The Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade is one of my favorite implements. I do not have hydraulic rear remotes on my L3560. With the ROBB the ability to PULL, PUSH (only with rigid stabilizers, then prudently), SMOOTH and RIP is there, with just a tug on the latch handle. The 60" ROBB is 620 pounds. I have never owned a standard Box Blade. Some who have owned both comment that a ROBB is significantly less finicky to adjust for a good finish. I also use a 'Hydraulink' Top Link in lieu of a standard screw adjustable Top Link. The provides a certain amount of cushioning action when using the ROBB, which also makes it simple to operate well.

One member here claims the Bush Hog ROBBs are made by Dirt Dog for Bush Hog. Could be, currently, but mine had a sticker on its arrival: Made in India.

The Disc Harrow is a Monroe Tufline TH971820B, 20", 9" spacing front, 7/1/2" spacing rear. Notched/notched. A good and plenty load for my L3560.

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332493-tandem-lift-disc-harow-monroe.html?highlight=

I do not know how that Disc Harrow photo slipped in except it was after midnight when I posted.

Did you give this a fair trial? This pin adjustment has worked effectively for me with multiple ground contact implements:

The solution is to move the adjustment pins for the Three Point Hitch right and left Lifting Rod stirrups, which attach to the Lower Links, from the TOP hole to the LOWER hole. This will allow your ripper to drop down 3" to 5". Then play with Top Link length.

Last edited: