Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Is it just me? #91  
Yes, love that chicken from Popeyes! :ROFLMAO:

Back in the early 80's when I worked at the Fixed Base Operator at the local airport, we would go to Popeyes, just down the street, about once a week. The gun violence was not prominent back then. Our ground support vehicle mechanic would ask where we were going for lunch today, and I'd bawk like a chicken. BAWK! BAWK! BAGAWK! That signaled Popeyes.

Then which kind of chicken, mild or hot?
Hot of course!

That devolved into:

What are we having for lunch today?

Hot bawk!

To this day I still think of 'Hot Bawk' every time someone mentions Popeyes. I also think of the mechanic. He passed away way to young from a blood disease. RIP Butch. ;)

As for South East Chicago... been through there many times. Gary is scarier to me.

Wife and I used to go to Chicago for fun. On the way there or home we'd drive the lakeshore south all the way to Whiting, Indiana. There was a Sarah Lee outlet store there. We'd load up a couple coolers with goodies. :p
I do remember lakes shore drive. i also remember driving from milwaukee to flint as a child. right thru S side of chicago, then on to gary.

/ Is it just me? #92  
Its CFA for me, Popeyes is ok but too much hype compared to what they have.
CFA lines are long but move faster then any other drive through I've been to.

The CFA sauce was actually created by my grandparents neighbor, Mr. Fleming, so I grew up with the CFA sauce before it was storewide. Wouldn't eat at locations outside my local restaurant until I could get the CFA at them.

I will say since the son took over they've made some changes I'm not as found of, but I do like the quality of the employees, and if they mess up or something isn't up to what it should be, they make it right!

P.S. if you really want to try their chicken get the strips, or even the nuggets.

/ Is it just me? #94  
I don’t eat much fast food, but when I do, Arby’s is my favorite.
Their roast beef sandwiches are excellent and their potato cakes or curly fries are a real treat.
When I was a strapping young lad of 135# I could eat three Arby's Supers and drink a large Black Cow.

Today, I get a market fresh sandwich and save 1/2 of it for tomorrow. :ROFLMAO:

/ Is it just me? #95  
I do remember lakes shore drive. i also remember driving from milwaukee to flint as a child. right thru S side of chicago, then on to gary.
Do you remember that everything in Gary was stained orange from the steel mills? Houses, buildings, telephone poles, heck, even the wires were orange from the pollution. It was an absolute hell hole, as far as environmental goes.

/ Is it just me? #96  
Do you remember that everything in Gary was stained orange from the steel mills? Houses, buildings, telephone poles, heck, even the wires were orange from the pollution. It was an absolute hell hole, as far as environmental goes.
Oh yeah. And rolling up the car windows in an effort to keep it out, in a car with no AC, in August. I couldn't imagine living there then.

/ Is it just me? #97  

Hence the term rust belt I assume.

MoKelly

/ Is it just me? #98  
In and Out used to be good in the early 90's, but they want to keep to a price point, so burgers got smaller and smaller.
Still use fresh meat and potatoes.

5 guys use fresh potatoes. burgers are good. Go there once every few weeks, $$.

have not tried CFA but kid likes it. Lines so long that you think it was free.

Went to Popeyes once, was not impressed.

Used to like Wendy's but that has become junk since Dave's passing. Used to love the chili.

Not much for fast food as I can't eat most of it. But always up for Chinese or Thai or Japanese or Greek, or a real Italian or Spanish Deli. Few left.

Arby's always seemed like beef flavored paper to me, but haven't eaten there in more than 25 years.

I miss good caribbean food, none around where I live now. Fresh baked Jamaican patties and Goat Rotie , jerk chicken etc.

/ Is it just me? #99  
Local Wendy’s shut down. We go to local Italian place next door, get a 12” cheeseburger sub & fries for less, and much better. Really nice Italian guy and his wife run it.

/ Is it just me? #100  
When I was a strapping young lad of 135# I could eat three Arby's Supers and drink a large Black Cow.

Today, I get a market fresh sandwich and save 1/2 of it for tomorrow. :ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately, I still have the appetite of when I was younger, and even though I probably should save half a sandwich for tomorrow I usually don't.
Used to like Wendy's but that has become junk since Dave's passing. Used to love the chili.
There's only one Wendys that I know of anywhere near where I live now, and it's pretty bad. Like you, I remember them being pretty good back in the 70s-80s-90s. I don't know if the one here is just the franchisee or if the chain's gone downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.