Buying Advice Is it possible to go too big?

/ Is it possible to go too big?
Paul, sorry the thread derail happened.

Did you get the right information from the many responses to make a decision?
You all have been absolutely fantastic. Thank you to everyone. I have lots to think about and much more wisdom than what I started with.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #143  
Are you kidding, the guy is probably so confused, we made it worse. No one recommended a new Corvette yet so I will.
What? Let Paul off the ropes just because of a little confusion?

WHATTAYAMEAN a NEW Corvette? What's wrong with a good used one?
Maybe a nice vintage 'vette from before the era of emissions and computer-controlled fuel injection. With AC and and an aftermarket 3pt hitch.

He could park it right where he was going to park the tractor he never could decide on.....

/ Is it possible to go too big? #144  
The 3pt hitch on the new Corvettes is way better now. You’d be a chump to go with the older one even if it does have an AM radio. And did I tell you why AM is better than FM? Well, hold on to your hat but it all started way back when Big Radio and the government…

/ Is it possible to go too big? #145  
Hello folks. Moving to a 58 acre property soon from the 'burbs (also escaping CA, but that is a different discussion) and am looking into getting my first tractor. About 28 acres of the land is previously farmed acreage that I want to keep knocked down and tamed by semi regular mowing/bush hogging. I have a full time job that is not farming and have no intention of farming the land myself, at least in the near future. Leasing some of the land to someone else to farm is something I want to look more in to. The rest of the land is very thick vegetation and trees. Solid wall of green type situation.

Besides the previously mentioned 28 acres of maintenance taming, over the next few years I want to potentially relocate, and certainly maintain, the gravel driveway into the property which is about 1500', create a gravel "road" to the more separated farm area for lessees to access that 15ish acres which will be at least another 1500', fell some timber and clear brush to make trails to the more wooded areas, potentially light grading for a future storage structure and swing set, and support of some heavier/specialized rented machinery for constructing a private shooting range with berm backstops in the back woods. Near the house I'd like to set up a sizable garden plot for the wife and kids to tool around in and some tree planting around the new driveway for future privacy.

My question is this: Should I start with a "learner size"? I've never owned or driven a tractor but from research I've seen that a fairly sizable machine would be ideal for my needs/wants. I've also gotten my heart set on a buddy seat so in a few years when I've learned to drive the thing and my very young children are a tiny bit older they can ride with dad. I think those moments will be priceless. I have no brand loyalty and I've yet to see how dealers around me treat their customers, which I've heard is a huge consideration. I've also got my heart set on a cab because frankly I think it will make chores like the mowing enjoyable instead of potential misery.

The machines I've been interested in thus far are the kubota m4d-071 and the tym 1104 and I'm mostly considering new instead of used. I'm slowly working my way though the other colors looking for other models of weight, power, and size to fit my needs but I've gotten a bit nervous about my lack of experience and piloting something this large and expensive without ever even sitting in a drivers seat. Any thoughts? Am I getting in over my head with machines this big? The terrain around my house is about as flat as a pancake which is at least in my favor and because I have a full time gig elsewhere, my off time, which I'm hoping a machine this size will save some of, is very valuable and more time I can spend with my young kids. Thanks for your help and looking forward to getting to know you all.
Just like in boats, better to spec out what you need and buy initially rather than buying a smaller one intending to move up later. Decide on the size/power you think will get by and then add 10 to 15%. Another way to approach this is spec out the implements you think necessary and then buy a tractor that will comfortably handle them. I sometimes let kids ride with me (Kubota Grand L 3940), but never while any implement being powered by the PTO. You are correct that having level terrain is a tremendous benefit for safe operation. Parts of my property have considerable relief and gullies which can be dangerous and require constant attention. I think most owners, me included, like and recommend the brand they have. I have never for any reason regretted going with Kubota.

/ Is it possible to go too big?
Are you kidding, the guy is probably so confused, we made it worse. No one recommended a new Corvette yet so I will.
If you think that is confusing, let's talk about the the one million and one different and constantly changing CDC protective equipment and infection best practices that I've been through in the last year and a half!

Anyways...

I've more or less made a mental average of the recommendations and I'm going to plan to shoot somewhere in the middle of those while also meeting my needs. I'll be sure to document things so when I inevitably screw something up you all can laugh at me.

Great to be here by the way. Tractors are a new found obsession of mine that, as I've alluded to, is driving my wife nuts but I'm obsessed all the same.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #148  
Sounds like you have an idea. Me, personally, I would never buy small with the idea of getting use to a tractor. Within 10 hours you are going to feel comfortable on it and within 50 it'll feel like you've owned it for a very long time. I do most of what you are planning on doing with slightly less land with 45hp. But I don't mow. I personally would be looking at around 75hp shuttle shift for a good size that'll do pretty much everything.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #149  
Another way to approach this is spec out the implements you think necessary and then buy a tractor that will comfortably handle them.
For my implement needs, I found better machines than a tractor to comfortably handle them.
A Toolcat was my recommendation to Paul, the OP because of the passenger seat: Buying Advice - Is it possible to go too big?

P3070021c.jpg

/ Is it possible to go too big? #150  
Sounds like you have an idea. Me, personally, I would never buy small with the idea of getting use to a tractor. Within 10 hours you are going to feel comfortable on it and within 50 it'll feel like you've owned it for a very long time. I do most of what you are planning on doing with slightly less land with 45hp. But I don't mow. I personally would be looking at around 75hp shuttle shift for a good size that'll do pretty much everything.
Second that, buy the tractor (or other equipment) you need for the job. Buying a smaller tractor with mental training wheels is a bad idea, you'll just own expensive equipment that can't do the work. You'll learn the same way on either, and ding up a few things either way, it's just part of the learning.