Buying Advice Is it possible to go too big?

/ Is it possible to go too big? #21  
I "took the scenic route" to this point in my life of being in my early thirties with two young kids and fleeing to the country. Shithead until my early twenties, military, out and used my GI bill, found myself back in a CA that seemed greatly different than what I knew as a starry eyed kid, bought a CA home to do significant renovations on, had a couple kids, sold home and made a mint, moved 3000 miles to 58 acres in NC.
You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #22  
In addition to all the other good advice given so far, consider this: If you plan to do work on densely wooded acreage or along a heavily limbed tree line, a tractor with a cab is not ideal. They are easily damaged if great care isn't used. As a novice, you'll need to learn where not to use a cabbed machine.
And They aren't that easy to get on and off of as an open station tractor.
If you're on the tractor for several hours working it, they're are good. but not so good if you are going to be on and off several times.
If you're a young guy, it may not matter though.
I'm 63 and climbing in and out of that cab on the 105 gets old.

Attachments

• 20191101_144115.jpg
    20191101_144115.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #23  
I "took the scenic route" to this point in my life of being in my early thirties with two young kids and fleeing to the country. Shithead until my early twenties, military, out and used my GI bill, found myself back in a CA that seemed greatly different than what I knew as a starry eyed kid, bought a CA home to do significant renovations on, had a couple kids, sold home and made a mint, moved 3000 miles to 58 acres in NC.

Welcome to NC... Remember the things that changed in CA. Keep it from happening in NC.

/ Is it possible to go too big?
Welcome to NC... Remember the things that changed in CA. Keep it from happening in NC.
Most would probably be surprised how staunchly and drastically the things in CA have driven me in the polar opposite direction. As did going to college after being in the military.

So it sounded like I had a strong response that the tym 1104 was too much machine for me and even for my land purposes. Do people also think the smaller kubota m4 is too large?

/ Is it possible to go too big? #26  
I want to keep knocked down and tamed by semi regular mowing/bush hogging.
I prefer an out front mower.
The 7' brush hog:
P5260004.JPG

The 6' finish mower:
PA080004.JPG

Besides the previously mentioned 28 acres of maintenance taming, over the next few years I want to potentially relocate, and certainly maintain, the gravel driveway into the property
With a landscape rake:
P5230013.JPG

Or skid steer style landplane:
P7190011.JPG

Or 8' box blade:
P3180001.JPG

fell some timber and clear brush to make trails to the more wooded areas,
Rated at 1500, but will lift over 3000 pounds with the rear wheels still on the ground:
P6190028.JPG

I've also gotten my heart set on a buddy seat so in a few years when I've learned to drive the thing and my very young children are a tiny bit older they can ride with dad. I think those moments will be priceless.
The Toolcat 5610 has a full-size passenger door and seat:
tc seat.JPG

More pictures: Toolcat 5610 F and 5610 G Series Pictures

I prefer an out front mower.
The 7' brush hog:View attachment 719106

The 6' finish mower:
View attachment 719107

With a landscape rake:
View attachment 719108

Or skid steer style landplane:
View attachment 719109

Or 8' box blade:
View attachment 719110

Rated at 1500, but will lift over 3000 pounds with the rear wheels still on the ground:
View attachment 719111

The Toolcat 5610 has a full-size passenger door and seat:
View attachment 719112

More pictures: Toolcat 5610 F and 5610 G Series Pictures
That's an incredible little machine! I'd honestly need to do a ton of research on something like that because I've not considered one or even know what one costs.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #28  
In my opinion you made a fantastic move.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #29  
So it sounded like I had a strong response that the tym 1104 was too much machine for me and even for my land purposes. Do people also think the smaller kubota m4 is too large?
At 105 Hp unless you're doing a lot of heavy tillage or bush hogging with a 15 foot batwing ... yes too big. Note it has a 5.3 gallon DEF tank... EPA machine it is ..
The Kubota M4 at 65 Hp is also too engine large, but right frame size... unless again you have enough work for it.

I recommend the same size frame but step down in Hp ... see my post about working the EPA tractors.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #30  
Renting out the 28 acres to a nearby farmer in the short term may be a good option. I rent out 20 acres to a neighbor for growing row crops. He keeps the two fields clean and tidy otherwise I’d have to mow or maintain them. The rent, though not much $$$, covers the property taxes for all. I wouldn’t rent to anyone with labor intensive crops as that would involve a lot of strangers being in and out, noise, and trash. BTDT. I’d suggest looking at a higher HP CUT or smaller utility tractor. 50-60 HP.