Buying Advice Is it possible to go too big?

/ Is it possible to go too big? #111  
I think that since the OP is not going to be farming, he does not need a farm tractor.

I speak from experience, this is me 76 years ago on grandpa's Case VAC:
Case VAC 1945 Grampa and Dennis.jpg

Case VAC 1945.jpg

Since then I have owned more tractors than I can remember. This is the last one, a MF 240D, before I went to a better for me machine:
P3310007.jpg

The Toolcat with a small grapple:
P9110001.JPG

P9110002.JPG

P9110003.JPG

/ Is it possible to go too big? #112  
Now that I've finished my mini-rant - I'll step off my soap box and add (on a different note) buying implements designed for use with both cat 1 & 2 linkages may help offset some of the costs of buying a somewhat "smaller" tractor as a potential starter.

A large/heavy frame tractor (even one with low Hp) can do more work than a similar hp tractor with a smaller/lighter frame. For example the difference in size between the various Kubota lines in the 30hp to 50-ish hp range ...or even the standard L vs. the Grand L's. The latter of which as "premuium" compacts offer some nice productivity features that could benefit a new operator (stall guard for example).

/ Is it possible to go too big? #113  
The very stable, not tippy, Toolcat with the Monster Grapple:
P5240014.JPG

P5240019.JPG

P5240009.JPG

/ Is it possible to go too big? #114  
I think that since the OP is not going to be farming, he does not need a farm tractor.

I speak from experience, this is me 76 years ago on grandpa's Case VAC:
View attachment 719397
View attachment 719398

Since then I have owned more tractors than I can remember. This is the last one, a MF 240D, before I went to a better for me machine:
View attachment 719399

The Toolcat with a small grapple:
View attachment 719400
View attachment 719401
View attachment 719402
...a very good reason to consider the tasks that need to be done, and the implements needed to perform them prior to looking at the powering machine (be it a tractor, Toolcat, telehandler, skid steer or anything else) in my opinion.....

Even if farming (or large scale gardening) is a potential task the size/type of tractor besd used for the task will vary ....have seriously considered adding a cultivating tractor (whether a newer version or older one) to the stable.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #115  
More tasks the model 5610 Toolcat can do, 5x6 round bales:
P8240014.JPG

Pulling the 22' gooseneck:
P7280004.JPG

P7280006.JPG

6' box blade on the front:
P6110001.JPG

P6110006.JPG

P6140009.JPG

/ Is it possible to go too big? #116  
Sometimes adults have no sense about tractors either. I was unloading a 40' container (on a truck) using pallet forks, and someone walked between the tractor and the truck/container. He's an adult and should have known a LOT better, and he promptly and deservedly got yelled at right and proper. If my foot had slipped, he'd have been crippled, as a minimum. Ten minutes later HE DID IT AGAIN, and at that point I told him to either get and stay in the (bleeping) container (moving the pallets with a pallet jack) or GTF away and go have lunch or something . . .

Mike/Florida
You said a mouthful there Mike. The closest I ever came to injuring or killing someone was carrying an 8 ft. square manhole down into the excavation with a large loader that did not have very good brakes. I told everyone to stay completely clear off to the side until I sat it down. One guy decided he'd step in back and guide it into place I hollered at him and sat it down, yanked the shifter into reverse and hit both brakes at the same time. Unfortunately on that particular model when you step on the left brake it automatically de-clutches the machine (useful when loading trucks) so although the manhole was sitting on the ground, I was still attached to it and still rolling forward, it started tipping the manhole over toward the guy. Thankfully the guy had started jumping backward and only pinned his leg between the structure and bank. Luckily I realized the machine was declutched and let off on the brake so the machine jumped backward an straightened the manhole back up. He was fortunate that he only had a badly bruised leg which was no where near as his sore butt after I and a couple others dressed him down.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #117  
It is possible to get too large of a tractor. A tractor is too large if it can't maneuver well enough to easily get into the places where you are working. Having to make frequent multi-point turns to maneuver around gets very old very quickly.

I read the entire thread including the numerous tangents that got well off topic. The OP has 58 acres. Most of what he plans to do is run a rotary mower to keep the weeds knocked down on 28 acres of open land at most a few times per year, maintain a several hundred yard long gravel driveway, and take a few trees down on the 30 acres of woods. Appropriate implements for that would be a 6-8' rotary cutter, a 6' box blade, and a 6-8' straight blade. I would not recommend a drawn cutter unless your field is completely open and has no obstacles. I would not want to run one up and down a trail either. That pretty much limits you to a 6' cutter with a larger compact as they can't really handle an 8' 3 point cutter due to weight, you would have to get a full sized utility tractor to run one. Personally I would get the 6' cutter as it will take roughly 15 hours to cut the 28 acres of fields, which will be done at most a few times per year. A 6'er has one gearbox and costs $2-3k for a decent one, an 8' unit has three gearboxes and costs about five grand more. Unless the OP wants to run an 8' cutter, a larger compact such as a Deere 4 series or larger Kubota L/MX would work fine. I wouldn't recommend going larger than the smallest full-sized utility tractors (e.g. 3 cylinder Deere 5E, Kubota M60). I also wouldn't see much of a benefit of much more than about 50 HP here either. If you do get a full sized utility tractor, none of those tasks require a MFWD machine. MFWD is not needed for running a rotary cutter. A 2WD utility will also pull around a 6' box blade and overflow it without even knowing it's back there.

The full sized utility tractors will have a gear transmission, weight quite a bit more, often have fewer electronic features, generally be less expensive, and pull ground-engaging implements with more authority (due to the heavier weight.) However, an MFWD full sized utility tractor will have a turning radius at least half again as wide as a larger compact (or a 2WD full sized utility tractor, which is about as maneuverable as a large compact.) Often people will get the full sized tractor for property maintenance if they can drive a clutch, have enough area to maneuver the machine, and performance in pulling ground-engaging implements is important. People will often get the larger compacts if they can't drive a clutch, have small areas the tractor has to fit into, and don't do a lot of ground-engaging work. I personally prefer gear transmissions particularly for any sort of cutting/mowing and ground-engaging work. They are not hard to operate with a little practice and there is no issue with using one with a loader, even a regular manual without a hydraulic reverser.

Regardless of what size tractor you get, I recommend you get fluid-filled ag tires rather than industrial tires. The traction difference is quite noticeable.

Cabbed tractors are bulky and not a good fit for the woods as a result, I would advise the OP to get an open station tractor.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #118  
Yes it's absolutely possible to go too big. Our 135 acre property is ~65% wooded. In order to make it around the wooded portions with a 70+ HP tractor (like a John Deere 5 Series), I'd have to do a bunch more maintenance and make trails wider. So for now we're using a NH TC40D with an open station.

I sure would like a 70+ HP model when we have to brush hog all of our CRP plots. But they only need it once every 5 years. And we might contract that out to someone with a skid steer and large brush hog. It would sure save wear and tear on our tractors.

I wouldn't buy a brand new tractor if you weren't even sure what size you wanted. But that's up to you, if you have the money to spend then why not.

I think a 4 Series John Deere (or similar) would be a good start. Something like a 4052 or 4066

/ Is it possible to go too big? #119  
Like I mentioned previously, one has to actually know the ground that one is expecting to work/manipulate/maintain before knowing what tools one is going to be using. Although I didn't have the money for anything other than my B7800 I can look back and say that (except for not ballasting the rear wheels and not having a tooth bar) it managed to do what was necessary as an exploratory tractor. Unknowns isn't something that one ought rush into. Rushing in with a larger tractor can result in some really bad outcomes: broken stuff; stuck - I got stuck enough with my B7800 to know how to extricate myself; doing so usually required a come-a-long*; doing this with larger equipment is a lot more scary/unsafe.

* I even once was able to use some tires (no rims) under the front wheels such that the front wheels would grab and kind of lock on to the tires and use them as paddles. Can't imagine trying to do that with a big machine!

Paul (OP), scout out the property thoroughly. Watch what happens in different locations throughout the year. Only then will you know what sort of work you'll be able to do, and what time of year. Some folks advocate for Ag tires. If I had Ags I'd have gotten stuck worse and would have torn up the ground a lot more (my picture of ruts from a skidder should make that clear- note that those were made toward the END OF SUMMER! - any other time and it would have been a horrible mess). R4s and running in 2wd to the point of getting stuck and then switching to 4wd and getting the heck out is a strategy that has worked well for me.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #120  
Some info on the Toolcat:

bobcat-toolcat-steering.jpg

4 wheel steering:
Toolcat turning diameter.jpg

Lift maxed out at 3,189 pounds with the engine idling.
PB020019.JPG

There are many comments about not using a cab tractor in the woods, but those tractors won't fit through a 7' high overhead door like the Toolcat does:
PB020023.JPG