Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #31  
Spiral bevel tooth picture looks pretty bad - high and concentrated tooth contact. Yeah, tractor and truck differential shouldn't have any "slop" at all. I think spiral bevel backlash is around .005" .006", and hypoid is around .003". Ring gear is pitted (it's a crap shoot), pinion gear is toast (broken top lands). Something has been floating around in that axle besides dirty oil. You need some new gears for sure.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades
Spiral bevel tooth picture looks pretty bad - high and concentrated tooth contact. Yeah, tractor and truck differential shouldn't have any "slop" at all. I think spiral bevel backlash is around .005" .006", and hypoid is around .003". Ring gear is pitted (it's a crap shoot), pinion gear is toast (broken top lands). Something has been floating around in that axle besides dirty oil. You need some new gears for sure.
Bob,
Checked the manual and it does call out a spec. Says .15-.3mm backlash when new. Slightly more used. I'll have to measure. It's not just the pinion and ring gear, all the bevel gears have tons of backlash but show no wear so maybe it's normal. If the ring and pinion are readily available I'll get new ones.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #33  
Agree if you can get the at least the ring, and pinion would be good while you have it apart, but they aren't terrible if you cant, as long as you get the metal shavings out and can shim for a good fit you have some years left in them.

I think it needs some new brakes!
I knew this going in, as this is one of the main reasons to tear down. Brakes were always poor. Previous owner wore them out I guess.
IMG_20211228_172756352.jpg

IMG_20211228_171345350.jpg

I can order them, but wondering if they are same as other tractor. Any idea?

8.8- 8.825" OD
26 spline
.875" friction width

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #36  
Last edited:
Tractor Supply has replacement disks but none appear to be 26 spline, then yesterday's tractors has some too Ford Brake Disc for Ford 3550,4000,4200,4500 - C5NN2A097B This is the closest spline wise.. Oliver Brake Disc for Oliver Super 55,66,Super 66,550,660,White 2-44 - 106690A

IMO if you can get the Kama disc for a reasonable cost ($60-80 ea) that would be the best, as most discs are going to be at least $30-40 ea and may or may not fit exactly.
Thanks for looking Carl.
The place I normally get parts is not responding. Probably taking some holiday time off.
I also emailed Artrac. Asked if they still carry Kama parts. They haven't responded yet.
I emailed a relining place to see if that's an option.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #38  
Yea - relining is what I thought too might be the best bet - are these wet brakes in oil? Probably makes a difference in relining adhesive/approach.

Yea - relining is what I thought too might be the best bet - are these wet brakes in oil? Probably makes a difference in relining adhesive/approach.
Yes. Wet.

/ Kama KM554 rebuild and upgrades #40  
Here are several articles on relining brakes: Yes you can bond on new pads with epoxy and pressure and or rivets (the most common) if you don't mind drilling your rotors for the rivets. Brakes in HST tractors don't get much use, but in gear tractors and farming applications the brakes are used for stopping and "brake turning" stopping one wheel to swivel the tractor into the next row. I did this a lot on the farm when plowing.

IMO, if seems like any material will work, even leather!, so sum and substance you can probably find brake pad materials, cut it to fit, then bond and rivet this on your tractor for less than $30-40 total.

Brake Lining or Replacement