Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison
It was probably a combo of several uses. I had one large SYP tree that I had to fall down hill and was asking the tractor to make a very hard pull on that tree required some serious efforts. Another was when using the bucket on the edge of a woods road digging soil for fill material I got pretty aggressive and noticed the clutch friction lining smelling. I was only using the buckets edge to catch maybe 10-12" of mostly loose weather material then gradually would gather enough to fill the bucket for a trip to a nearby build site. Not unusual use really.
In neither instance did I feel like I was being abusive to the tractor at all, just hard work IMO. My main uses are maintaining a 1/2 mile steep private road using a Landpride box scraper, a small pasture I bushog annually, garden prep and around my self-use only WM sawmill logs and lumber and skidding logs for my own use.
I bought it @ 120 hours from a non-farmer Highway Patrolman in KS who maintained a short driveway and some light construction use such as the large pole building it was stored in to prep the concrete pad, etc.. The guy waxed and babied it as it were. I also store it inside and as a retired pro mechanic ex-auto tech shop teacher, helo mech, late a motor pool mechanic and industrial and car and MC mechanic I'm very good to my machines.
The clutch on this Kioti is highly generic and crosses over into many, many brands in that size clutch assy. The guy I chose to replace mine is a 74 yr old retired lifetime JD mechanic and the do custom work in his shop such as huge supercharged competition tractors, injection pumps, many large 100hp+ farm tractors around there-so on.
He had a camshaft in his lather when I was last there-serious mechanic. He put back in my Kioti a clutch disc with friction pads vs. a circular friction disc. He says they are far better friction wise and longer service life. He also never uses rebuilt clutch parts as he's seen too many early failures, etc.. There are clutch parts assemblies on ebay for ~ $100, Chinese at that. These were pricey USA parts from sources he has used for years.
I expect a parts mark-up to retail and him to profit when I ask for a turn-key job as this was.
I was charged $900 labor for clutch replacement which included a fluid service engine oil & hydraulic-I had the filters & oil. This tractor requires hood and fuel tank removal so even more work than some.
When I moved the tractor from a school parking lot where we off loaded it, the change in clutch function was noticed immediately from even when I bought it at 120 hours! This new clutch is far stiffer pressure on the pedal! It also bites firmly but it's new of course. A huge difference and no softness whatsoever. It always pulled well before until it didn't. The old friction disc was badly burned and had worn to the rivets. The pressure plate was all intact but center springs were weak. Current hours are @ 365- maybe a bit more than I'd stated previous, so I've put 225 hours on it since 2017 when I bought it in KS.
yanmars: How long do you say a clutch should last on a 38hp utility tractor?

Last edited:
My "today's" mentality leans toward keeping my Kioti tractor with a near future tire change and weight fluids in them. I use a back weight from Titan Implements but really need tire fluid too.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #14  
I view everything as a tool. If a tool is still viable then I keep it: which is why I still have my B7800 (different tools for different jobs); I'm fortunate to be able to afford to keep two tractors, for now...

Unless one buys new one is only looking at something with unknowns. Better off repairing what one has, as you KNOW what you have: I do this with my cars (21 and 18 years old). Not worried about Tier IV: my Kioti has has zero issues engine-wise or HST-wise, and it's now 675 hrs and closing in on 5 years; I figure I"ll wear out before it does.

Tire ballast is more than worth it. It was several years before I had that done with my B7800: had someone come and do it. Top priority when I got my NX5510: I can still get tippy with it unless I also have a big implement on the back- loader/hydraulics are pretty strong, 2,700 lbs lift capacity.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #15  
The old friction disc was badly burned and had worn to the rivets. The pressure plate was all intact but center springs were weak.
Pretty sure one of the complaints on the Kioti clutches a few years back was due to one of their suppliers shipping them weak ones..? Dunno, something I thought I read, but looks like you found one of them.

Get this: I just went down and attached my 6' box scraper and brought my 1/2 mile of private, steep, gravel road back to smooth and another even steeper gravel road that climbs toward the ridge on the back side of our property where I log and have a build site too. I was done with the main road which as said is quite steep, about the limit of what an UPS truck would do and when I began on the woods road, I was having trouble carrying rock back up hill in the LandPride's box from a number of gully washers during my tractors dead spell. I stopped and lo and behold I'
d done the first main road in 2wd! and was still in 2wd! I never usually change into 2wd given I live in E KY where nothings flat. (my county has two highway straights and both are named) I switched to 4wd and it did whatever I asked of it. The new clutch had made enough difference to have me unaware that I was working in 2wd. That alone tells you the new clutch holds better.
Maybe I did have a weakish clutch but honestly that tractors been earning it's keep! BTW, damn it's hot!

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #17  
Yeah, sounds like you had one of the weak ones. Probably wont need a new clutch ever now :)

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #18  
How long do you say a clutch should last on a 38hp utility tractor?
Generally a clutch should last thousands of hours.
I have 2340 hours on my 2001 DK 35. Never needed the first clutch adjustment yet.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #19  
Kantuckid - Just an FYI - Kubota loader model#s are their rated lift capacity in KGs. My (on order) DK4510 will Way out lift Kubota L4701!
HP TP HP Kubota comes up significantly behind Kioti on FEL specs

What's your personal take on buying and using a new DK4510 what with re-gen vs. my non Tier 4 DK35SE machine? Weights similar, tires one size larger, loaders stronger, bit more torque/hp.
I have my eye on a private sale, 2020 DK4510, geared, with 140 hours now. New Qct 2020. It has a canopy (I don't want) and FEL w bucket, been stored inside. I've considered a buy one, sell mine to move to a newer, stronger machine but tough to decide what I really gain overall for my bucks? The seller of the 4510 says his weights 5,000 with fluid in tires. Mines near that w/o any fluid. Tire sizes do go up along with the hp but most seem to have the same 1.8L , 3cyl engine I've already got newer so have re-gen I don't have now, of course.
I've not called any dealers (both are couple hours away) to see if they are available or at what price points on a cash deal. PM me if you like your details and opinions, etc., thanks.
In further comparison checks on tractordata.com I'm seeing that the hp goes up on these 10 Series Kiotis but until I get to a DK5010 they don't match my DK35SE's engine torque.

Last edited: