Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #1  

Shmallory0

Tractor
Kubota B2910
Hello all!

I've been having trouble with my B2910, and the key is not turning the starter solenoid on.

650 hours

I ran the tractor for a few hours, and then turned it off near the house to go run in and grab some chains. Came back, and it would not start. Dash Lights did come on though when the key is turned (Engine Oil Pressure, Electrical Charge, Glow Plug Indicator).

I got to working on it, and tried to jump the tractor, same problems.
I took the battery to the parts store, and it is good.
I took the starter out and had the dealership test it. All good.
I tried swapping relay switches, and it didn't change anything.

I started trying to read some electric readings on the relays, and accidently started the tractor by key with the multimeter in two of the 4 prong holes of the starter relay????

Finally bought a remote starter cable, and am able to start and operate the tractor.
I still can't turn it on with the key, and now only the glow plug indicator comes on when the key is turned. I also have no fuel or temperature readings. RPM guage still good for some reason.

Ideally I'd like to have the tractor starting as it should with a key. Any tips? Safety Switches?

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #2  
Since it starts with a remote starter switch kit, my 1st though is the safety switches that are often in the ignition switch to starter circuit. With the remote starter switch, you are bypassing all if the safety switches.
I would probably start with the neutral safety switch as lots of issues are reported going bad and shifting to be out of alignment.
Best of luck to you.
Loss of dash lights is likely due to blowing a fuse while you were testing items.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #3  
Have you looked at the wiring?..it sounds like it could be chewed wires ??

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #4  
I'm voting for safety switches as well. Be sure PTO is disengaged, clutch depressed, and you're sitting in the seat.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #5  
I start with seat seat safety switch....will be interesting your cure.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key
Since it starts with a remote starter switch kit, my 1st though is the safety switches that are often in the ignition switch to starter circuit. With the remote starter switch, you are bypassing all if the safety switches.
I would probably start with the neutral safety switch as lots of issues are reported going bad and shifting to be out of alignment.
Best of luck to you.
Loss of dash lights is likely due to blowing a fuse while you were testing items.
Thank you for the fuse comment! I had not thought of that. I kept thinking I put something back together wrong.
I'll try the neutral safety switch first. I've had some problems going from Medium HST to Neutral sometimes, maybe I triggered it sometime while having to shift hard.

Pine I'll look at wiring next if a safety switch isn't the issue.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #7  
I had a similar problem with my B7800, an almost identical tractor. It would only start if I kicked the rocker pedal back and forth several times. There is a ball bearing that centers the rocker safety switch that disintegrated. Apparently this is somewhat common. You have to remove the floor pans to get to it and it looks like it can’t be changed. You have to grind a larger opening in the slot to remove it.

Pull a snap ring and it slides right off. You can see my bearing is missing balls.

Attachments

• Treadle 2.jpg
    Treadle 2.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Treadle 1.jpg
    Treadle 1.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 158
   / Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #8  
Just something to keep in mind.

I have a B2910 also. I have read that some of the later models have different wiring than my workshop manual shows, and include an OPC module (Operator Presence Controller).

A give away is if the B2910 has a seat switch or switches. I think this holds true for the B7800 as well, but not sure. My b2910 does not have the OPC or switches under the seat.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #9  
Just something to keep in mind.

I have a B2910 also. I have read that some of the later models have different wiring than my workshop manual shows, and include an OPC module (Operator Presence Controller).

A give away is if the B2910 has a seat switch or switches. I think this holds true for the B7800 as well, but not sure. My b2910 does not have the OPC or switches under the seat.
My 7800 had both an OPC and a second switch that allowed PTO operation by tilting the seat forward. Unfortunately (LOL) both went away when I added a suspension seat.

/ Kubota B2910 Not Starting with Ignition Key #10  
Hi, since the fuel and temp gauge don’t work as well I would look for B+ going to or from ign switch.
Look at fuse marked gauges or instruments.
Safety switches are usually wired in series between start relay/solenoid and ignition sw.
An open in this safety circuit should not effect gas and temp gauges.

Lot’s of luck