Box Scraper Land Planes / Grading Scrapers

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers
About 7 years bought a EA land plane. Best tool for hillside driveway maintenance. Quickly paid for itself in recovering gravel and making a durable, low maintenance surface.

Areas around barns, lawn, orchards are getting smoother just by occasionally driving around.

Only used rippers once on some yard grade work change.

Grader blade and yardbox are just sitting around.

Which EA model did you get?

I have bush hog brand land plane. Works great. My buddy copied it and made one he pulls with his plow truck works great.

I hadn’t thought about that brand. I had one of their 7’ rear scraper blades that was quite well built. Is there any particular aspect that you like or don’t like about the model you have?

I have a dealer for that brand in reasonable driving distance. I haven’t spoke with them yet because they have price tags on them that seem more in line with what big green or orange stores would charge. And the way the mast for the top link is reinforced by a single piece of flat stock to the middle crossmember looks a little under-engineered in comparison to the rest of the implement to me. I’m not opposed to one if the price is right though. Do you have one of the dirt dog blades? What model and how is it performing?

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers #24  
The only thing I could complain about it is the removable scarifier teeth are cheap cast from China and I broke 2 of them, of course doin a favor for a friend. If you maintain your drive in a reasonable manner , you don't need the scarifier teeth anyway. That was the only time I used them. I bought a bush hog brand only because that's what my closest dealer carried at the time.

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers #26  
I see one of the same model you have for $1500 new if I want to drive 2.5 hours to get it. Locally, similar models are listed more in the 1800-2800 range. They seem to be priced pretty high for what they are. If I’m happy with it in ten years I’ll be over the price, but I also don’t want to spend that and get one that doesn’t meet my expectations. It sounds from the thread you linked that you don’t have any buyers remorse. Is that accurate?
Yes, accurate. My 72" bad boy scraper has been flawless so far. Just wish I could store it under a roof, some rust is creeping.

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers #27  
milkman636 I did not get the rippers and don't really need them
it really digs up the dirt/gravel etc I usually make 6 or 7 trips up
and down the drive way to make sure its nice and smooth and
the LS cost me less than $2K I can't remember exactly what I
paid but think it was approx $1300 or $1400. If I run across the
receipt I will let you know

willy

milkman636 I did not get the rippers and don't really need them
it really digs up the dirt/gravel etc I usually make 6 or 7 trips up
and down the drive way to make sure its nice and smooth and
the LS cost me less than $2K I can't remember exactly what I
paid but think it was approx $1300 or $1400. If I run across the
receipt I will let you know

willy

Thank you Willy. I have mixed feelings on buying rippers too. I had removable teeth on a previous box blade, and then upgraded to one with nicer teeth on a retractable bar. I don’t think I want to go back to the individual teeth with keepers that you fidget with to deploy or retract. I seldom need the ones on my box blade either because it has good weight. So I appreciate where you’re coming from on this.

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers #29  
Look for an old tumblebug. Usually under $100. Check out You tube Squatch253 has a few videos

/ Land Planes / Grading Scrapers #30  
Everything Attachments has a new wicked land plane. Improve ripper teeth. They already had a better way of mounting rippers compared to other manufacturers.