Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,271  
Man……….really want a flail mower for my L2501!!

about 8 acres split between 2 fields and the “yard”.

Which flail mower for a cheapskate?

my rotary cutter does ok……..would like one mower to do everything if that’s possible.
Do you want to be "cheap" or "frugal"? I'd suggest frugal over cheap. Look for a used name brand flail. You'll probably end up paying about the same as a new off brand flail and get a higher quality unit. That's what I do, at least. My experience over the years is that it costs less in the end to buy a better unit than a cheap unit.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,272  
I love a flail mulcher. Mine is 10' and slides so it's almost as good as a ditch bank flail. Certainly not quite but I can slide it out and cut about 2 feet into a ditch. Places I couldn't get with the ZT or the 20' FM. Mine cuts as good aas my FM.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,273  
Do you want to be "cheap" or "frugal"? I'd suggest frugal over cheap. Look for a used name brand flail. You'll probably end up paying about the same as a new off brand flail and get a higher quality unit. That's what I do, at least. My experience over the years is that it costs less in the end to buy a better unit than a cheap unit.
I agree. Waited for 9 months (still haven’t read everything in this thread) for a decent deal worth driving to get. Bought a 7600 new Loftness for 700 and spent 600 on tools, bolts, and y knives. Not bad

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,274  
By raising the rear roller you are lowering the cutting height;
this is what you need to do to recut the material finely as long as
the belts are tight and the gearbox is level-never mind the shaft.
I realize that. I lowered it almost all the way (raised the roller) and except for shorter grass I still didn’t get much “mulching”. For what I paid I’m happy but hard to believe a $7600 list machine gives better - but not much better - results as my rotary (in terms of clippings - the cut is far superior)

I also tried angling the top link forward and back to see if that did anything. Outside of adjusting height of cut somewhat the clippings stayed the same.

Im back to my original question - how can I improve the mulching action?

(belt is tight and good condition, flails all visibly move well, etc - I did a careful slow motion video with it raised at about 200 pto rpm to watch)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,275  
The only suggestion I have is to contact the dealer to see if your Sicma flail can be used with side slicer knives as you do not have re cutting bars mounted on the rear panel.
A flail mulcher will cut the material you want to knock down but the hammer knives do not create the suction you need to recut the material.
Check with your dealer as you may be able to purchase side slicer knives and the spacers you need to mount them on the knife hanger weldments of your flail mulcher.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,276  
I do know that some flail mowers come in standard or reverse rotation, the benefit of one or the other I don't know, unless it is how fine the cut is. My own uneducated self, A flail in stubble will give you a nice cut. For me edge clean up and ditch banks it woulds depend on what I was cutting and possible obstructions. Cutter shafts on flails are more delicate than the underside of most rotaries. A hydraulic offset is real nice doing ditch banks and around obstructions.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,277  
Well, I sold my Woodmaxx FM-78 today, the FM-88 I ordered should be here in 2-3 weeks. It'll be nice to have the extra width and offset to mow ditchbanks.
IMG_20210731_092936.jpg

Sent from my XP8800 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,278  
Yes it mows to low. Funny thing is I lowered it quite a bit already, but it needs to be lower.

So I’m seriously contemplating a ditch/bank flail to complement my old, beat to s*** 917. I have a need to trim the brush back on many of my access roads. It would seem that a ditch/bank mower run in the vertical or near vertical position would be ideal for this. I’ve had very little luck verifying that any of the mowers I’ve looked into thus far ( very preliminarily) can be operated in the near vertical position.

Can someone who actually owns one ( and better yet has operated it in the vertical or near vertical position) respond? Manufacturer of your flail would be nice to know as well.

I’ve considered the Lane Shark but saw one and was not thoroughly impressed with some of the construction details.

Thanks, in advance.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,279  
@GSVette, I have not used mine in the vertical position for trimming. However, I do not think it would be worth buying for that purpose. It just would not go high enough in my opinion. For ditch work or trimming around a pond they are wonderful. I even enjoy mowing open fields with mine. Mine is a Victory 64" mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,280  
I have a Bestco 65" ditch bank flail. I use it as a standard flail, ditch bank and occasionally to cut the sides of trails. With mine I recently changed out the hammers for Y blades which seem to perform better with grass. I have noticed when cutting trail sides you can't get up high, I figure maybe 6 feet. When I am cutting sides it also seems since your not cutting against a hard service, the ground, things tend to bend out of the way. Hope this helps.