Log splitter 4 point wedge

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #71  
Best time/work saving advice I can give.. if you can.. drag/haul the logs directly to where they're going to be split ..cut to length.. then go straight on splitter... Have splitter positioned to be able to stack directly on wood stack.. that's saved me more time and back ache than worrying about a four way wedge

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #72  
YOU are the one that said my splitter was of poor design. So when I paraphrase what you said, you deem that condescending?? And you are the ONLY one on this thread that doesnt seem to generate undesirable splits with you 4-way that you run everything through. And thats fine, it works for you and thats all that matters.
I didn't think I said your splitter is a poor design, I said your 4-way is a poor design and it is! lol IF, it works like YOU say it does!

Also, I told how MY 4-way works, but you can't accept that. So, yours don't work, and mine does, so all I'm left with is, design issues with the one that doesn't work.

I guess it could be that you want pretty splits, so they sell better?? I don't care how mine look, as long as they fit my stove and burn...

That's it in a nutshell, time to move on...

SR

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #73  
I didn't think I said your splitter is a poor design, I said your 4-way is a poor design and it is! lol IF, it works like YOU say it does!

Also, I told how MY 4-way works, but you can't accept that. So, yours don't work, and mine does, so all I'm left with is, design issues with the one that doesn't work.

I guess it could be that you want pretty splits, so they sell better?? I don't care how mine look, as long as they fit my stove and burn...

That's it in a nutshell, time to move on...

SR
Capture3.JPG

Just to set the record straight.

But agree, time to move on. We all have our own methods that we have modified, improved upon, and taylored to suite our needs.

Yes I sell wood, and yes customers want "pretty" wood that stacks nice and not a bunch of trash and uneven splits and kindling left behind.

My operation has me handling wood ONE and ONLY one time with my bare hands. Thats when I pick a round to put on the splitting table. Its efficient for me. All other times it is handle in mass by equipment

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #75  
I might unbolt the moving wedge on my horiz/vert splitter and see if one of my fabrication-minded coworkers can whip up a 4-way slip-on wedge for me. I don't mind getting plenty of small pieces. Like John MC said, small pieces burn more efficiently, meaning you get more BTUs per lb of wood, and a cleaner chimney. Plus I need them for starting up the woodstove anyway. My house is too efficient sometimes and we have to let the fire go out on cold days just to keep from overheating. So we re-start the stove a lot, sometimes twice a day.

What I'm more concerned about than small pieces, would be to find out that my "26-ton", 6.5HP splitter actually struggles to push normal wood through a 4-way. I think it would probably do straight grain walnut and cherry just fine (my main wood species).

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge
I don't understand the first one. Mine is similar to the black one. The coolest ones I've saw for small splitters actually slip over the 2way creating a 4way.

Mine hydraulically raises/lowers. Raised position is 4way, lowered 2way.
The Red picture is the current wedge on the splitter. The one on the right is the one I was wondering if it would fit. What model do you have and will it work in vertical position. Most of teh 4 way I have found state for horizontal use only.

Thank You!
Anyone ever attach a 4 point wedge to a Troy Built 27 ton log splitter? This Rugged Built seems like it might work.
Thank you!

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #77  
The Red picture is the current wedge on the splitter. The one on the right is the one I was wondering if it would fit. What model do you have and will it work in vertical position. Most of teh 4 way I have found state for horizontal use only.

Thank You!
My splitter is trailer mounted and does not rotate to vertical. Uses a hydraulic log lift. I bought it from Northern Tool.

20141010_120216.jpg

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #79  
^ Dang, she's a beaut Richard.

But Nearly 12 thousand dollars..... ouch. (edit lol plus only $1,238 more to have it shipped).

I paid $7K 12 years ago. My shop burned destroying my previous homemade splitter. Insurance adjuster asked me the tonnage rating, I figured it up and told him 40T. He came back to me and said this was the only one he could find and would it be okay? I said sure. I had claimed a value of $1,500. I had/have "replacement" insurance. I will always have replacement insurance. :)

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #80  
I’ve been splitting some wood lately and have revised my opinion on a 4 way wedge. On the right sized rounds I like it. It’s a little more critical you hit the round dead center with a 4 way or you end up with a piece that’s too big. It’s just slips off and on so easy so why not use it.