Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #161  
Sad day I only spent 5 hrs on my tractor over the weekend. I spent more time maintaining and fixing stuff I bent repairing fencing etc. I love the tractor and it is impressive what it will do without loaded tires or additional ballast. I have to keep reminding myself to rev it up because it does everything that i need at 1000 rpm.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Glad you’re liking it so far. Just be careful running it without loaded rears or ballast hanging off the back. I have loaded rears and the loader is strong enough to still pick the whole back end up (ask me how I know). So this past weekend I stuck my heavy 6’ box blade on while I was picking up an old truck utility bed that I was loading to take to the scrap yard. Just keep in mind if you’re going to do any heavy loader word. Enjoy the tractor!

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #163  
Glad you’re liking it so far. Just be careful running it without loaded rears or ballast hanging off the back. I have loaded rears and the loader is strong enough to still pick the whole back end up (ask me how I know). So this past weekend I stuck my heavy 6’ box blade on while I was picking up an old truck utility bed that I was loading to take to the scrap yard. Just keep in mind if you’re going to do any heavy loader word. Enjoy the tractor!
I agree with every word, the tractor has a capability far in excess of what i need so I'm keeping the limitations in mind during operation. for right now the tractor is light enough not to track up my yard. I will attach my box blade with some additional weight later and i may load the tires but that is tuff to undo so I'm holding off on that.

I have already experienced the lifting rear end, learned really fast to keep the FEL low when pulling or pushing on something that is still attached to the ground.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #164  
Have any of you guys had issues with the shuttle shifter popping out of gear?

Our 5155 has been popping out of reverse when the clutch is released. The shuttle shift lever springs forward to neutral and gears audibly grind when it pops out. Holding the lever in reverse doesn't solve it.

It did it to us a couple times the first night we used it. I assumed it was operator error at first, because it seems like the shuttle shifter is not completely engaging into reverse. So I slowed my shifting down and tried being more deliberate. Still popped out.

The clutch pedal had excessive free play, so I adjusted it to spec and hoped this would solve the problem, thinking that possibly the free play was preventing the clutch from disengaging completely, preventing the shuttle shifter from shifting completely into gear.

After using it for a few more hours tonight, it still occasionally pops out of reverse. Much less frequently than before the clutch was properly adjusted, though. I wish it had revealed this problem at the dealership before we towed it home. The tractor had 5 hours on the meter when we took ownership of it. Could the transmission possibly be damaged from those first 5 hrs. of use at the dealership? I'll be calling the dealer on Monday with some questions.

But, have you guys experienced anything like this? Am I overreacting? We live and operate this tractor or a fairly steep mountainside property, so the thing popping out of gear is definitely an issue. I'm going to look at the shift linkage between the shuttle shift lever and the transmission tomorrow to see if there are any adjustments to be made there. Hoping it's something simple for sure.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Have any of you guys had issues with the shuttle shifter popping out of gear?

Our 5155 has been popping out of reverse when the clutch is released. The shuttle shift lever springs forward to neutral and gears audibly grind when it pops out. Holding the lever in reverse doesn't solve it.

It did it to us a couple times the first night we used it. I assumed it was operator error at first, because it seems like the shuttle shifter is not completely engaging into reverse. So I slowed my shifting down and tried being more deliberate. Still popped out.

The clutch pedal had excessive free play, so I adjusted it to spec and hoped this would solve the problem, thinking that possibly the free play was preventing the clutch from disengaging completely, preventing the shuttle shifter from shifting completely into gear.

After using it for a few more hours tonight, it still occasionally pops out of reverse. Much less frequently than before the clutch was properly adjusted, though. I wish it had revealed this problem at the dealership before we towed it home. The tractor had 5 hours on the meter when we took ownership of it. Could the transmission possibly be damaged from those first 5 hrs. of use at the dealership? I'll be calling the dealer on Monday with some questions.

But, have you guys experienced anything like this? Am I overreacting? We live and operate this tractor or a fairly steep mountainside property, so the thing popping out of gear is definitely an issue. I'm going to look at the shift linkage between the shuttle shift lever and the transmission tomorrow to see if there are any adjustments to be made there. Hoping it's something simple for sure.
Walt, no you aren’t overreacting. It should not do that regardless of how hard you’re pulling. Definitely get in touch with your dealer and have them take care of it. Sounds like the linkage is not adjusted properly. Definitely a warranty repair for your dealer to handle. It’s possible they could make the adjustment on site at your place which would save having to transport it to the dealer. But regardless get it taken care of right away. Continuing to allow it to come out of gear under load will damage something expensive!! Let us know how you make out.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #166  
Walt, no you aren’t overreacting. It should not do that regardless of how hard you’re pulling. Definitely get in touch with your dealer and have them take care of it. Sounds like the linkage is not adjusted properly. Definitely a warranty repair for your dealer to handle. It’s possible they could make the adjustment on site at your place which would save having to transport it to the dealer. But regardless get it taken care of right away. Continuing to allow it to come out of gear under load will damage something expensive!! Let us know how you make out.

10-4, thank you for the advice, Andy. I'll keep you updated.

Interestingly, a fellow member and 5155 owner started this thread about an hour ago:

https://tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/new-5155-synchro-grind.450747/

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #167  
Update:

Couldn't sleep anyways, so I got up early this morning and started researching. I bought the pdf 5155 service manual from Bill's Tractor. Got it downloaded, turns out I was sent the manual for the 4500 series by accident, I am hoping. Regardless, nothing useful regarding shift linkage for the 5100 series.

So, I went outside and started to really inspect the linkage, which I should have done sooner. The shuttle shift cable connects to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. It is located beneath the floor boards between the fuel tank and the transmission as shown below. The cable shifts the lever towards the rear of the tractor for reverse, or towards the front for forward. There is a small range of adjustment in the clevis at the end of the shift cable.

20220507_064525.jpg

I suspected the shifter was not shifting the transmission completely into reverse, causing it to pop out and grind under load. I backed off the retaining nut and removed the connecting pin, which is held in place with an attached tab that snaps around the shaft of the clevis. I rotated the clevis on the threaded rod two full turns to lengthen the throw of the linkage, thus shifting the transmission "further" into reverse. This adjustment was small enough to not affect the Forward shifting throw.

Replaced the connecting pin and tightened the retaining nut, then did some testing. Made around 100 forward/reverse shifts in the yard without it popping out of gear. Tried every gear with different amounts of throttle to simulate different loads. I put it in 4wd and stopped the tractor facing downhill on a slope. Then I backed up the slope using a variety of gears and throttle, including some quick clutch releases in high-range/1st to really put the shifting mechanism under load. Never popped out.

I'll be posting if it happens again, but knock on wood adjusting the shift linkage seems to have cured the problem.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Gr
Update:

Couldn't sleep anyways, so I got up early this morning and started researching. I bought the pdf 5155 service manual from Bill's Tractor. Got it downloaded, turns out I was sent the manual for the 4500 series by accident, I am hoping. Regardless, nothing useful regarding shift linkage for the 5100 series.

So, I went outside and started to really inspect the linkage, which I should have done sooner. The shuttle shift cable connects to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. It is located beneath the floor boards between the fuel tank and the transmission as shown below. The cable shifts the lever towards the rear of the tractor for reverse, or towards the front for forward. There is a small range of adjustment in the clevis at the end of the shift cable.

View attachment 744941

I suspected the shifter was not shifting the transmission completely into reverse, causing it to pop out and grind under load. I backed off the retaining nut and removed the connecting pin, which is held in place with an attached tab that snaps around the shaft of the clevis. I rotated the clevis on the threaded rod two full turns to lengthen the throw of the linkage, thus shifting the transmission "further" into reverse. This adjustment was small enough to not affect the Forward shifting throw.

Replaced the connecting pin and tightened the retaining nut, then did some testing. Made around 100 forward/reverse shifts in the yard without it popping out of gear. Tried every gear with different amounts of throttle to simulate different loads. I put it in 4wd and stopped the tractor facing downhill on a slope. Then I backed up the slope using a variety of gears and throttle, including some quick clutch releases in high-range/1st to really put the shifting mechanism under load. Never popped out.

I'll be posting if it happens again, but knock on wood adjusting the shift linkage seems to have cured the problem.
Great work! I had a feeling that something with that shuttle linkage wasn’t adjusted quite right. Glad you found it and seem to have corrected the issue. I’d still mention it to your dealer just to have it on record if something would crop up later. This way you could point back to the root cause. Glad it’s working good for you again. Enjoy the tractor. Mine is sitting inside right now waiting for several days of rain to dry up now that it’s finally stopped raining. Right at 20 hours on the meter.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #169  
Update:

View attachment 744941

Glad to hear you worked it out.
Does anyone else have an issue with the knob that adjusts the speed of operation for the 3 point lift?

My knob is acting like the shaft is bent below the floorboard, ie hard to turn then easy then hard and the shaft changes direction while turning.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #170  
Glad to hear you worked it out.
Does anyone else have an issue with the knob that adjusts the speed of operation for the 3 point lift?

My knob is acting like the shaft is bent below the floorboard, ie hard to turn then easy then hard and the shaft changes direction while turning.

Thank you!

Yup, I just went out and tried mine after reading your post. First time I've played with that function, actually. Sure enough, mine does the same thing exactly as you described. Not super impressed about that. Love everything else about the tractor, though.