Rear Finish Mower Mathews Flail Mower

/ Mathews Flail Mower #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Had this used 5’ fail mower delivered yesterday. Paid $1,200. Older model but in nearly new condition. Trying to find out more information about the machine. First experience with flail mowing.
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

Comparing to 6’ Woods rear 3pt finish mower behind a Kubota B26.

The flail mower is;
1) Heavier especially collecting grass.
2) Quieter running.
3) Better cut.
4) Requires less pto hp.
5) More taxing on tractor in sharp turns. Rear roller has to slide sideways.
6) Cutting lower than the RFM. Next to highest position. We have little smooth yards so it hits the ground in places. Need to raise from 3.25” to 4.25”.
7) Top heavy. Most mowing on slopes. Limits where we can mow.
8) Doesn’t trim to the side as close. Also not as close backing up either.
9) Front end lite with no bucket on and flail raised when empty. Needs front weight which is not the best for mowing.
10) Unknown maintenance and blade sharpening or replacement costs. High population of blades compared to other flail mowers. Single multi rib belt.

Mowed the rougher yard around the barn. Cut good sometimes to the ground. Filled the hopper up. Could not pick up. At least 500# of well mulched packed grass. Like half a round bale. Uses a boat winch to lift the rear clamshell to dump. Quick and easy. Could reach from seat but easier off the tractor. Lever operated flap to change from collecting to rear discharge.

The Woods rear discharge finish mower has been almost bulletproof for 24 years on our hilly, convoluted, wooded, gravel driveways farm. Don’t think the flail can replace all it does. When it comes to picking up clippings, leaves and cut quality the flail really shines. Was hoping to make easy additions to the compost pile. Need find out more information on replacement parts. Found an operator’s manual online. There are a few manufacturers that make similar mowers. Crazy $$ expensive. Might have bought a unicorn. Hopefully others have experience with this brand and type.

/ Mathews Flail Mower #2  
Had this used 5’ fail mower delivered yesterday. Paid $1,200. Older model but in nearly new condition. Trying to find out more information about the machine. First experience with flail mowing.
View attachment 757611 View attachment 757612View attachment 757613
View attachment 757624

Comparing to 6’ Woods rear 3pt finish mower behind a Kubota B26.

The flail mower is;
1) Heavier especially collecting grass.
2) Quieter running.
3) Better cut.
4) Requires less pto hp.
5) More taxing on tractor in sharp turns. Rear roller has to slide sideways.
6) Cutting lower than the RFM. Next to highest position. We have little smooth yards so it hits the ground in places. Need to raise from 3.25” to 4.25”.
7) Top heavy. Most mowing on slopes. Limits where we can mow.
8) Doesn’t trim to the side as close. Also not as close backing up either.
9) Front end lite with no bucket on and flail raised when empty. Needs front weight which is not the best for mowing.
10) Unknown maintenance and blade sharpening or replacement costs. High population of blades compared to other flail mowers. Single multi rib belt.

Mowed the rougher yard around the barn. Cut good sometimes to the ground. Filled the hopper up. Could not pick up. At least 500# of well mulched packed grass. Like half a round bale. Uses a boat winch to lift the rear clamshell to dump. Quick and easy. Could reach from seat but easier off the tractor. Lever operated flap to change from collecting to rear discharge.

The Woods rear discharge finish mower has been almost bulletproof for 24 years on our hilly, convoluted, wooded, gravel driveways farm. Don’t think the flail can replace all it does. When it comes to picking up clippings, leaves and cut quality the flail really shines. Was hoping to make easy additions to the compost pile. Need find out more information on replacement parts. Found an operator’s manual online. There are a few manufacturers that make similar mowers. Crazy $$ expensive. Might have bought a unicorn. Hopefully others have experience with this brand and type.
Good Morning Smokeydog,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from the great state of Tennessee.

I own my fathers 48" cut Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower now, previous to this one I owned my fathers 36-inch cut Lawn Genie Pick up Mower before this one.

You will be able to cut the good grass sod and let it dry out then pick it up later in the day or the next day if it is hot and there is no rain in the forecast.

When cutting heavy brush its best to recut it several times the same day to allow it to dry out and dissolve quickly into the sod.

The rear roller will skid around when you are doing tight turns, it is better to avoid making tight turns.

You will be able to recut the clippings and then pick them up by pulling the diverter door forward to open the chute to the hopper.

Cutting the grass in a spiral pattern will let you save on fuel, brakes and time.

The design of the flail mower rotor on the Lawn Genies allows the user to change side slicer knives or flip them to a new cutting edge without tools due to the spring tensioned knife mounting loops. The Lawn Genie is also designed to dethatch lawns with the three inch dethatching blades.

The dethatching blades are mounted between the knife pairs on each mounting station and on the inside of the single knife mounting stations on the opposing knife rows.

You will greatly appreciate your purchase when the leaves start to fall, and they will be picked up quickly.

If the mower is not abused the side slicer knives will last for many decades before they need to be replaced or sharpened.

It is best to sharpen the side slicer knives with a slow speed wet well grinder to avoid destroying the temper on the hardened heat treated knives.
These wet well grinders are available at www.Micromark.com and the last time I checked they were on sale for $79.00

PM sent

/ Mathews Flail Mower
Good Morning Smokeydog,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from the great state of Tennessee.

I own my fathers 48" cut Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower now, previous to this one I owned my fathers 36-inch cut Lawn Genie Pick up Mower before this one.

You will be able to cut the good grass sod and let it dry out then pick it up later in the day or the next day if it is hot and there is no rain in the forecast.

When cutting heavy brush its best to recut it several times the same day to allow it to dry out and dissolve quickly into the sod.

The rear roller will skid around when you are doing tight turns, it is better to avoid making tight turns.

You will be able to recut the clippings and then pick them up by pulling the diverter door forward to open the chute to the hopper.

Cutting the grass in a spiral pattern will let you save on fuel, brakes and time.

The design of the flail mower rotor on the Lawn Genies allows the user to change side slicer knives or flip them to a new cutting edge without tools due to the spring tensioned knife mounting loops. The Lawn Genie is also designed to dethatch lawns with the three inch dethatching blades.

The dethatching blades are mounted between the knife pairs on each mounting station and on the inside of the single knife mounting stations on the opposing knife rows.

You will greatly appreciate your purchase when the leaves start to fall, and they will be picked up quickly.

If the mower is not abused the side slicer knives will last for many decades before they need to be replaced or sharpened.

It is best to sharpen the side slicer knives with a slow speed wet well grinder to avoid destroying the temper on the hardened heat treated knives.
These wet well grinders are available at www.Micromark.com and the last time I checked they were on sale for $79.00

PM sent

Thanks for the feedback. The flail mower is a real interesting machine.

Our yards, berry patches, buildings, rock walls and flower beds require lots of back and forth in tight places with tight turns. Had to improve the RFM caster wheels. Roots, limbs, rocks, bumps, just part challenges. Wife has the patience and skill to mow and trim well.

One of the biggest challenges is copious leaves down the 1/2 mile green tunnel driveway in the fall. Grinding them up with bush hog and finish mowing now. Love to vacuum them up and compost without effecting the gravel.

/ Mathews Flail Mower #4  
Is the lane asphalt, grass and exposed gravel or all gravel?

If there is asphalt or a wide bed of exposed gravel the Lawn Genie will not be able to create the pressure gradient/
suction needed to lift the leaves into the pickup basket.

If its grass and rutted gravel the air paddles and side slicer knives should have no trouble picking them up.

If the leaves are heaped up in the center you can shred them and then pick them up on the return pass as it will
shred them a second time and then you will be able pack more in it.

/ Mathews Flail Mower
All gravel. About another 1/2 mile of spur roads going to barn etc. Also miles of dirt woods roads. Some we mow. Don’t like being surprised by copperheads. The hawks will snag them in the driveway and short grass.

Figuring out the adjustments and not hitting or sucking up gravel the key. Vacuum knives and long vacuum knives option new to me. Might be able to make a super sucker?!?

Mowed some of yard by our log house. It does make a nice cut! Makes us feel kinda uppity.

It has a set of closer holes in the floating lift arms which will help in lifting and balance. Might have to cut the arms as the extra length might interfere with the Pat’s quick hitch.

/ Mathews Flail Mower #6  
Are you referring to cutting the lower links on your kubota B26????

Are your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast??
Having the rear tires loaded with liquid ballast will help you a great deal.

Can you scoop up a load of sand and carry it with you while you mow???

Can you live without the quick hitch while mowing???

/ Mathews Flail Mower
Are you referring to cutting the lower links on your kubota B26????

Are your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast??
Having the rear tires loaded with liquid ballast will help you a great deal.

Can you scoop up a load of sand and carry it with you while you mow???

Can you live without the quick hitch while mowing???

The flail mower floating lift arms have two sets of holes. Lift pins are in the further out position. Moving pins closer to mower will help the tractor to lift the weight. Mower can accommodate cat1 or cat2 hitches. Did have to grind the top link ball sides 1/8” to fit the mower top hitch frame. Just have to see if pat’s hitch is compatible moving the lift pins.

Rear tires are filled and 2” spacers. Set up for hillside mowing.

Mowed for 21 years with a B20 which didn’t have a ssqa bucket. Upgraded to the B26 six years ago and one of improvements was being able to take off the bucket while mowing. Close quarters, along buildings and fences a big difference. First try moving the lift pins for balance. Then maybe have to the the bucket or grapple for counterweight. Could be another strike against flail mower compared to rotary finish mower.

This mower uses high population of cutter knives. 140 compared to 48 in most other flail cutters. Gives a superior cut and mulch. Down side when cutting into heavy branch the blades can swing enough to hit each other. Can cause damage or breakage.

First flail for me but experience with other farmers I know have had a mixed bag of results with flail mowers compared to rotary mowers. Many variables to consider.

Removing the pat’s hitch is a no go for me.

Have much to try and learn.

/ Mathews Flail Mower #8  
I took care of a 4 acre wooded lot for about 5 years and used a Lawn Genie 72" model behind my TC 33D without a loader. Had to add front weights to maneuver the LG, but was doable. See if moving the lower pins back to the closer holes and putting the pins on the inside of the floating arms helps with your hookup. Parts are available through your local ag dealer to Mathews Company, they will ship to a dealer, not to you. I have called the MC factory with my ?? and they have always been helpful. I added the optional hydraulic dump kit, but sourced the ram through Surplus Center, much cheaper.

The weakest link on the machine is the rear roller bearings and bearing mounting plates. I think sharp turns will compromise either or both of those parts. So, lifting while turning is advisable.

When I got it, I replaced the main rotor bearings and maybe a half dozen knives, and the tires. Used it for 5 years and worried about the roller bearings, but they held up.

Used only for leaf disposal and I would windrow the leaves with a zero turn, then shred them with the LG with the hopper by-passed twice, then would collect and dump. 3 times more leaves in the hopper that way. Hope it works out for you.

/ Mathews Flail Mower #9  
The flail mower floating lift arms have two sets of holes. Lift pins are in the further out position. Moving pins closer to mower will help the tractor to lift the weight. Mower can accommodate cat1 or cat2 hitches. Did have to grind the top link ball sides 1/8” to fit the mower top hitch frame. Just have to see if pat’s hitch is compatible moving the lift pins.

Rear tires are filled and 2” spacers. Set up for hillside mowing.

Mowed for 21 years with a B20 which didn’t have a ssqa bucket. Upgraded to the B26 six years ago and one of improvements was being able to take off the bucket while mowing. Close quarters, along buildings and fences a big difference. First try moving the lift pins for balance. Then maybe have to the the bucket or grapple for counterweight. Could be another strike against flail mower compared to rotary finish mower.

This mower uses high population of cutter knives. 140 compared to 48 in most other flail cutters. Gives a superior cut and mulch. Down side when cutting into heavy branch the blades can swing enough to hit each other. Can cause damage or breakage.

First flail for me but experience with other farmers I know have had a mixed bag of results with flail mowers compared to rotary mowers. Many variables to consider.

Removing the pat’s hitch is a no go for me.

Have much to try and learn.

The 48 inch Lawn Genie Pick Up Mower has 116 side slicer knives and 64 thatching blades.

While the flail mower rotor is spinning up or slowing to a stop the knives will hi teach other
but as they are in a staggered mounting configuration they do not become damaged.

Flail mowers are abused in most cases and do not work well because of it and then people
complain about them not working right.

Case in point are the INO Brezice flail shredders

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pc8v01zwDM

/ Mathews Flail Mower
I took care of a 4 acre wooded lot for about 5 years and used a Lawn Genie 72" model behind my TC 33D without a loader. Had to add front weights to maneuver the LG, but was doable. See if moving the lower pins back to the closer holes and putting the pins on the inside of the floating arms helps with your hookup. Parts are available through your local ag dealer to Mathews Company, they will ship to a dealer, not to you. I have called the MC factory with my ?? and they have always been helpful. I added the optional hydraulic dump kit, but sourced the ram through Surplus Center, much cheaper.

The weakest link on the machine is the rear roller bearings and bearing mounting plates. I think sharp turns will compromise either or both of those parts. So, lifting while turning is advisable.

When I got it, I replaced the main rotor bearings and maybe a half dozen knives, and the tires. Used it for 5 years and worried about the roller bearings, but they held up.

Used only for leaf disposal and I would windrow the leaves with a zero turn, then shred them with the LG with the hopper by-passed twice, then would collect and dump. 3 times more leaves in the hopper that way. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for your experience.

I want to love the flail mower and does have some strong attributes. Looking forward to fall and leaf pickup. If I had big acres of flat yard it would be perfect.
I can mow everything with the Woods rear finish mower now? The flail would need another mower to trim and do the rougher work. Tried a zero turn and they are nice for trimming, scary on some of my grades and worthless next to the creek and pond.

During that time did you have to replace the belt?

Mine is old enough to have the older tapered, no longer available knives. New style are square like most brands of knives. Haven’t called about getting replacements yet. Flailmaster alternative?