Members in their 70s?

/ Members in their 70s? #71  
Nothing changed, except the need to sell more drugs. Statins are a HUGE revenue stream. IMHO statins are poison. Darn near every American over 40 is on the things and our life-expectancy decreased by two years.
Correlation does not mean causation, Bill.

/ Members in their 70s? #72  
Nothing changed, except the need to sell more drugs. Statins are a HUGE revenue stream. IMHO statins are poison. Darn near every American over 40 is on the things and our life-expectancy decreased by two years.
Darn near every American is on high fructose corn syrup and our life-expectancy decreased by two years.

Easy to blame almost anything.

/ Members in their 70s?
Darn near every American is on high fructose corn syrup and our life-expectancy decreased by two years.

Easy to blame almost anything.
Corn syrup doesn’t alter you liver function. Corn syrup doesn’t remove an essential building block of brain tissue from your blood stream. Corn syrup predates the Alzheimer’s epidemic by a hundred years, at least.

The brain contains the highest level of cholesterol in the body; it contains approximately 20% of whole body cholesterol.

One third of American adults are on statins at a cost of 19 billion dollars a year. They keep lowering the bar for who “needs” to be on statins. This is the same industry that was flooding the country with opioids because it was really profitable.

/ Members in their 70s? #74  
Bill you have a giant blind spot...you talk as if all cholesterol is bad for you. It's not. Not everyone over 40 is not on statins. When you argue in absolute terms, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel to debunk you.

The biggest thing American's need to do is get rid of seed oils in our diet. They are, more than anything else, the worst thing you can put in your body. The obesity epidemic can be traced right back to the prolific use of seed oils like, canola, corn, rapeseed, safflower, margarine, etc.

The only cooking fats one should use are; butter, lard (if it is shelf stable, it has seed oils in it), ghee, Beef Tallow, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, and Coconut Oil.

/ Members in their 70s? #75  
The only cooking fats one should use are; butter, lard (if it is shelf stable, it has seed oils in it), ghee, Beef Tallow, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, and Coconut Oil.
The only fats you mention that I'd consider even remotely "healthy" would be avocado or olive oil. I have no idea what ghee is.

The obesity epidemic has many causes, including an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

/ Members in their 70s? #76  
To get back to the OP's original question...

Closing in on 80, the one thing I wish I could do over is to have done those things that require physical endurance back when I was still a "young" 50 and 60 years old. I love to hike/explore the back country and have been doing that all my life. I'd always had plans for some extended back country hikes when younger but always put them off due to job and family obligations. Now my body tells me it is too late...........

/ Members in their 70s? #77  
To get back to the OP's original question...

Closing in on 80, the one thing I wish I could do over is to have done those things that require physical endurance back when I was still a "young" 50 and 60 years old. I love to hike/explore the back country and have been doing that all my life. I'd always had plans for some extended back country hikes when younger but always put them off due to job and family obligations. Now my body tells me it is too late...........
Good point. After dealing with a blood clot in my Right leg running from my ankle to my groin that lead to 28 clot fragments I lost a lot of ground health wise.

When the wife broke bones in her hand/lower arm last October I had to force myself back into the horse if she was going to recover. Six months later after cutting out added sweetener and grains again my stability is returning and my pain level had dropped like a rock.

Initially I got the mini horses to help my daughter in her early teenage years and that was very successful. I had planned to get rid of them but my wife got attached to them and I realized they were key to me walking death backwards after the pandemic side effects. If I let my butt take root I'm a goner.

/ Members in their 70s? #78  
71 this year. Not much I still can't do.
Vitamin D, daily.
Get away from the TV.
Remember that if your retired that the job will be there tomorrow too. You don't have to accomplish everything at once. Pace yourself.
Exercise!!
Most of my meat is harvested by myself. Moose, bear, hares, shrimp, salmon, halibut... Too much snow to raise chickens.
Avoid processed foods.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. You probably have more favors owed to you that you will ever use up.
Never give up, never surrender.

/ Members in their 70s?
71 this year. Not much I still can't do.
Vitamin D, daily.
Get away from the TV.
Remember that if your retired that the job will be there tomorrow too. You don't have to accomplish everything at once. Pace yourself.
Exercise!!
Most of my meat is harvested by myself. Moose, bear, hares, shrimp, salmon, halibut... Too much snow to raise chickens.
Avoid processed foods.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. You probably have more favors owed to you that you will ever use up.
Never give up, never surrender.
Screenshot 2022-04-21 151316.png

/ Members in their 70s? #80  
One year after my minor heart attack at 74, I attempted to get on my horse for a ride again and failed to mount from the ground. I had to stand on a railing in my arena to mount up. I knew I lost a lot of muscle in the last year but have hesitated to try to regain it through exercises since, at this age, you have to exercise so much longer to regain a little muscle than you had to do in your younger years.

I am so jealous of those trainers who are able to teach a horse to lay down while you get in the saddle and then get back up afterward.