Mice and Mini Split AC units.

/ Mice and Mini Split AC units. #11  
easy fix...... Buy a couple of cats

/ Mice and Mini Split AC units.
Unit is a mitsubishi, looks like this:

Mini Split.PNG

It is on wall brackets, 3 ft from the ground. I suspect the big problem is the oval slots on the end and back. They are seriously big, like jam three fingers in.

I picked up 1/4" hardware cloth last night, so will use that. I was wondering if bug screen would clog and be more of an issue, thank you for your feedback on that. I had a friend who had a window AC fan blocked by a yellow jacket's nest but at least that was an easy fix...he found it after the nest was dead and once removed, his unit still worked.

Part of the issue with repairs is what I have time for and what my repair guy is willing to do. This unit is computer controlled, has a VFD for the fan, etc. Pretty sure the main board has been fried. Not sure on the actual compressor motor but there are enough parts in there that are messed up that my guy can't get parts for, he's looked. And have I mentioned that the whole thing stinks like crazy?

Going to get hot again this week, it will be good to have it done, we are scheduled for tomorrow.

Next thing is to see if I can put screws in it to mount the hardware cloth or if I will have to come up with some way to surface mount it.

easy fix...... Buy a couple of cats

To keep the mice away, I'd have to pretty much leash the cats to the unit. There are hawks, fox, and coyote in the area...and my Aussie has a high prey drive. I do not see this ending well. Oh, and the wife and I are allergic.

/ Mice and Mini Split AC units. #14  
I've got cats and it doesn't help. For your repair if you can get the board the rest of it is probably fixable with standard parts. Unfortunately the boards can be super expensive. Some online sites sell armor to protect against pack rats in the southwest, if you search online you might get lucky. The kits are just screws and 1/4" hardware cloth cut to the right sizes and a diagram showing where to attach it.

Thank you. Sounds like I am mostly on the right track.

Unit was replaced this AM and is working.

After the guy left, I took the covers back off and looked around. There is a bulkhead between the condenser and the compressor compartments. From the trail of mouse poop, the guess is that they were getting in by running up the electric meter, and across a horizontal line cover to where the lines and wiring enter the back of the compressor compartment, and weren't any signs they had gotten in the condenser side.

When the old unit was removed there were still 4 live mice in it.

The first thing I noticed is that there was an unused open wire knockout where the lines come in. I had some plugs, so slapped one in. If I had to guess, there is a 90% chance that alone would fix all the issues.

I also wedged a sticky trap in the bottom of both compartments. My wife had some mouse baits on hand, so I put a couple in the compressor side just in case.

Unit was replaced this AM and is working.

After the guy left, I took the covers back off and looked around. There is a bulkhead between the condenser and the compressor compartments. From the trail of mouse poop, the guess is that they were getting in by running up the electric meter, and across a horizontal line cover to where the lines and wiring enter the back of the compressor compartment, and weren't any signs they had gotten in the condenser side.

When the old unit was removed there were still 4 live mice in it.

The first thing I noticed is that there was an unused open wire knockout where the lines come in. I had some plugs, so slapped one in. If I had to guess, there is a 90% chance that alone would fix all the issues.

I also wedged a sticky trap in the bottom of both compartments. My wife had some mouse baits on hand, so I put a couple in the compressor side just in case.

/ Mice and Mini Split AC units. #18  
"Just One Bite" Rat poison is the best I've ever come across. Before using it I used "environmentally" safe deterrents and last winter rats and mice destroyed the 12v DC and 115 AC wiring in my RV. Very costly and time consuming to repair. I feel your pain.

JOB.jpg

/ Mice and Mini Split AC units. #19  
Just be careful with the bait as it attracts them. Sounds like the problem should be solved!