Miller Dialarc

/ Miller Dialarc #51  
For consumer products having absolutely 60hz AC is FAR more important than having the right voltage. As long as it's in the right ballpark, you'll be fine. Also voltage drops depending on how much wire to are going through & how far from the transformer on the pole.

In Afghanistan the power was at 50hz instead of 60hz. Every clock needed resetting every few days as they would loose several minutes a day. The AC frequency in the US power grid is actually synchronized to the GPS signals to be uber precise (and to synchronize all the generating plants).

/ Miller Dialarc #52  
A lot of the schools in the mid west still are wired for 208V. So 208,220,230,240 should all run on the same hookup for USA made products. Some European machines are too fussy so they need to be switched to the exact voltage. I know some ESAB plasma cutters will not run on 208V unless they were ordered for 208v. The other one is the same 110,115,120v. No idea if the voltages actually increased or if only the numbers did.

The schools are wired that way, but what does multimeter say at the service input or at your service entrance? according to the article I read that's outdated voltage.

/ Miller Dialarc #53  
For consumer products having absolutely 60hz AC is FAR more important than having the right voltage. As long as it's in the right ballpark, you'll be fine. Also voltage drops depending on how much wire to are going through & how far from the transformer on the pole.

In Afghanistan the power was at 50hz instead of 60hz. Every clock needed resetting every few days as they would loose several minutes a day. The AC frequency in the US power grid is actually synchronized to the GPS signals to be uber precise (and to synchronize all the generating plants).
How is someone supposed to measure 60hz, is that on a multimeter?

/ Miller Dialarc #54  
A fancy multimeter, or an oscilloscope. But while voltages may be off, you can be guaranteed that something tied to the US power grid is running at 60hz. It's possible but extramely unlikely a small local power company might not be tied to the grid. Even less likely that non-grid power company isn't putting out 60hz.

If somebody pumping power into the grid isn't precisely synchronized with the grid they won't actually be pumping power into the grid.

/ Miller Dialarc #55  

I use a Kill A Watt meter from Home Depot. About $30

image.png

/ Miller Dialarc #57  
I've got a killawatt & it's handy for determining power draw & pretty cheap. Will be using it as a backup frequency meter for setting the throttle on my tractor when running my PTO generator.

/ Miller Dialarc #58  
Want to up the ante on breaker size for my Miller Dialarc from 50 amp to 70 amp, like to stay under my 100 amp cable size, but the outlet says 50 amp and the 100 amp cable is a really tight fit but it's in. I've been the past hour trying to find a 100 amp outlet and cant find one, all I see is the size I already have, should I just keep using this size or what?>>>>>> Leviton Surface Mount Receptacle 2 Pole 3 W 5Amp 25V Nema 6 - 5 R Blk Csa Cd | eBay

/ Miller Dialarc #59  
Want to up the ante on breaker size for my Miller Dialarc from 50 amp to 70 amp, like to stay under my 100 amp cable size, but the outlet says 50 amp and the 100 amp cable is a really tight fit but it's in. I've been the past hour trying to find a 100 amp outlet and cant find one, all I see is the size I already have, should I just keep using this size or what?>>>>>> Leviton Surface Mount Receptacle 2 Pole 3 W 5Amp 25V Nema 6 - 5 R Blk Csa Cd | eBay

It's the reason they normally get wired to either a shut off box or straight to the breaker.

In my case I wired straight to the breaker and shut off the breaker when done for the day.

My Airco 300 (Miller 330 abp) can pull over 100 amps.

/ Miller Dialarc #60  
I wonder if that meter is important for testing home generators, or generators on a building construction site so a coffee maker will work right?

I used it on my Miller bobcat 225nt and found the idle was a little low so the Hertz was low - this incorrect output caused a small mig plugged in to behave very strange.

Miller tech support is who told me to check the Hertz when I described the problem.