Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #31  
I have this scary field.View attachment 813737
It drops 200 feet to the road. Ford 9600 no way, 5600 have to for baling, be very careful, 2810 is almost comfortable, but there are bumps and depressions that are still scary. The taller the tractor the sooner the COG is over the downhill tire, I find!
That’s a cute hill compared to the ones @Hay Dude and I are mowing. Not trying to brag or pick on you in the least, just making the comment that it would be nicer to mow those kinds of hills than some of the madness I have to deal with. The ones in your photo are definitely sketchy when the grass is tall or if a guy didn’t know where the draws/depressions/saddles were located and started cutting across that them and caught a tire in the wrong rut. Serious pucker factor for you I can imagine.
I have several places with a 20 to 23 degree angle that I have sidehill to mow and that’s about as steep as I’d want with my equipment.

I’m sure that specialty equipment would do well with a steeper angle.
I have a couple spots that are seriously a 40° hill, difficult to walk up, let alone mow. You don’t ever consider a turn on that kind of slope, let alone cutting it if the grass isn’t completely dry.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #32  
That’s a cute hill compared to the ones @Hay Dude and I are mowing. Not trying to brag or pick on you in the least, just making the comment that it would be nicer to mow those kinds of hills than some of the madness I have to deal with. The ones in your photo are definitely sketchy when the grass is tall or if a guy didn’t know where the draws/depressions/saddles were located and started cutting across that them and caught a tire in the wrong rut. Serious pucker factor for you I can imagine.

I have a couple spots that are seriously a 40° hill, difficult to walk up, let alone mow. You don’t ever consider a turn on that kind of slope, let alone cutting it if the grass isn’t completely dry.
I am lucky enough to be able to drive out of my slopes and turn on flatter ground.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #33  
I am lucky enough to be able to drive out of my slopes and turn on flatter ground.
I had to make my flat ground at the bottom of the dam to have a landing/turning strip.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #34  
Interesting thread. Lot to learn. I didn’t see any comments or suggestions regarding ballasting the tires for slope work. Would filling at less than half, like ~ 30-35% w/beet juice, etc. be helpful in terms of lowering the COG and improve safety on slopes

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #35  
Interesting thread. Lot to learn. I didn’t see any comments or suggestions regarding ballasting the tires for slope work. Would filling at less than half, like ~ 30-35% w/beet juice, etc. be helpful in terms of lowering the COG and improve safety on slopes
My rear tires are loaded with Rim Guard (Beet juice) and I use a rear discharge mower to help counter balance the weight of the cab & motor. I also use suitcase weights in the front when doing the steep areas. If I’m not mowing and the FEL is on the tractor, I remove the suitcases weights for the FEL and they go into the ballast box I have on the @$$ end.

Yeah there not much flat ground out here for turning around. One of the fields up top there is, and at the bottom of another one, but that’s about it other than the yard.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #36  
That’s a cute hill compared to the ones @Hay Dude and I are mowing.
If it was any cuter, I wouldn't be on it! One tractor death in the family is enough. I wouldn't touch your slopes with anything bigger than a walk behind Trailblazer. You guys have bigger cajones than me!

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #37  
Condolences…that kind of thought would keep me off them as well. One of these days the wife will finally break down and buy me/us a Ventrac. But until then…

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #38  
Being retired now, thankfully I don’t have to consider slope mowing, but if I did I would seriously consider the big, big brother to my Power-Trac to do serious slope mowing.

I saw both of their slope mowers in action when I visited the factory in Tazewell, VA. Eye-popping awesome stability, w/ rating of 40* or 45*, depending upon model. Tilting seat, too 😊

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #39  
Being retired now, thankfully I don’t have to consider slope mowing, but if I did I would seriously consider the big, big brother to my Power-Trac
I still think I’m a fan of the Ventrac more so than the Power-Trac.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #40  
IMG_3982.jpeg

As an alternative to the more expensive commercial mowers on the market, I highly recommend the Cub Cadet Pro Z with 4 wheel steering.

I can safely and confidently mow 20-30 degrees hills and do so on a regular basis on my property.

Mike