MTL GRAPPLE

/ MTL GRAPPLE #1  

spo307

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota L4400
Looking to see who owns a mtl root grapple? What do you think of it?
Everything attachments 54 inch single lead wicked route Grapple is more than 14 weeks out for delivery. With that being said I started looking at other Grapple‘s and found the MTL my work will consist of moving some tree limbs maybe some section of trees moving the occasional rock and picking up brush piles nothing extreme and I will not be using it all the time. Thank you for your input

Attachments

• 1CABDCAD-7A13-48F1-A842-C52C3FA79582.jpeg
    1CABDCAD-7A13-48F1-A842-C52C3FA79582.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
   / MTL GRAPPLE #2  
I bought a Tomahawk grapple a few years ago. Works great for me. I can pick up 3 15’
4A92C7A2-62B0-4A4E-90D6-98B2E4A52E36.jpeg
telephone poles at once.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #3  
I bought a Tomahawk grapple a few years ago. Works great for me. I can pick up 3 15’ View attachment 701043telephone poles at once.
I've got a Tomahawk just like yours. Seemed like a great deal picking it up from the factory about 10 miles from my place.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #4  
Yes, I got mine when I bought the tractor. I had another grapple I sold when I picked up this one. What did you give for yours? Bought mine used for 1000 dollars.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #5  
I bought their 60 inch dual lid model last summer. So far it has worked well. The lids don't close at the same time if there are different levels of resistance on them which is mildly annoying (although it makes sense). The only other thing that has went wrong is that the MTL cut out/stencils on the lids were bent up in about the first hour. It has no effect on the function of the grapple, but just seems to be a bad design idea. I have heard their customer service is terrible, but since I have had no problems so far, it hasn't been an issue for me. My opinion is that you get what you pay for. They are inexpensive and not remotely as well built or engineered as an Everything Attachments model, but for my 20-30 hours of fairly tame use each year, it is working great so far.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #6  
I bought their 60 inch dual lid model last summer. So far it has worked well. The lids don't close at the same time if there are different levels of resistance on them which is mildly annoying (although it makes sense). The only other thing that has went wrong is that the MTL cut out/stencils on the lids were bent up in about the first hour. It has no effect on the function of the grapple, but just seems to be a bad design idea. I have heard their customer service is terrible, but since I have had no problems so far, it hasn't been an issue for me. My opinion is that you get what you pay for. They are inexpensive and not remotely as well built or engineered as an Everything Attachments model, but for my 20-30 hours of fairly tame use each year, it is working great so far.
Same is true for me with my Mid State Attachments grapple.
The steel (A36) is nicely cut, but the assembly certainly could have been better.
The cost was 1/2 the price of an EA grapple, and the design/style is something that I particularly wanted.
EA does not build/sell anything of like design.
Prior to use, I replaced all the OEM pins with brass pins, and added zerks.

Last edited:
   / MTL GRAPPLE #7  
Yes, I got mine when I bought the tractor. I had another grapple I sold when I picked up this one. What did you give for yours? Bought mine used for 1000 dollars.

I got my new 66" Tomahawk in 2018 for $1092. No shipping or handling. I'm sure they're considerably more now.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #9  
I have the 60" dual lid MTL...paid $1000 two years ago.

I put about 20-30 hours a year on it. Primarily used for firewood processing (6 cords a year) and handling downed trees, limbs and brush. At less than 1/2 the price of a "good" grapple it has worked without issues.

/ MTL GRAPPLE
After many days of searching I did locate a tomahawk 66 inch single lid for $1300. It weighs 415 pounds. Pretty close to me about three hours away in Pennsylvania and can be shipped for about 150 to me

Attachments

• 7FC07156-BB57-4FFA-88F7-FB80CA1C426C.jpeg
    7FC07156-BB57-4FFA-88F7-FB80CA1C426C.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 72