MTL GRAPPLE

/ MTL GRAPPLE
Now I am not sure between the MTL like the one in the picture or the Tomahawk?

/ MTL GRAPPLE #13  
Wow, I just looked at their site and see that the two cylinder model is now $800 more than when I bought mine. I should have bought five and sold four now. Inflation is not pretty.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #14  
I have the 54” wicked dual lid and appreciate added value of the design. Wait time and price are small inconveniences over the life of the equipment. Guess a lot of others think the same given the long delivery time.
Don’t use this commercially but hope I can many years to come.

My big grapple is bypass teeth which is good for big stuff. The wicked the teeth come together. Can pick a twig to fist size rock like an extension of my hand. The 54” width works best on scuts.

Any grapple is better than no grapple and there are many good manufacturers.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #16  
Went with the mtl 54” the one in the picture
I'm just seeing this thread. I have the same grapple. I don't have a lot of time on it yet but it's been great so far....no complaints other than they didn't include the right fittings and I had to change them. To be fair, I didn't remember to specify which fittings I needed when I placed the order (the order form doesn't ask) so I sent a message after. They acknowledged the request, but I could see where it could have gotten missed...no big deal. I do have some as yet unresolved issues but I won't comment on them yet. I want to give them a chance to address.

/ MTL GRAPPLE #17  
The flat bottom design of the MTL grapples is not really a "ROOT" grapple IMO. A root grapple should be the short pointed bottom tines.
This is the only true root type grapple I see on their site now and it's a double lid.

Their double clamp lids have a pretty wide space between them for stuff to fall out of. Makes shaking dirt out by rolling the grapple a pain sometimes.

I haven't see anybody that touches their prices.

I have an older, 11/99, MTL 60" RK5. I paid $1199 to my door and had it in 3 days. It has a couple of things that I don't like that I think they corrected on the new RK5. On mine the clamp tines don't meet with the points on the bottom tines. They come inward a few inches. Mine also doesn't have grease fittings on the cylinder ends, just the hinge joints. It has cheap hoses that are covered in cracks already. I forsee having to replace them with Gates before long.

Other than that it has functioned without fail. To pick anything up with it you have to roll it past 90* to the ground as you approach. If they would have made mine with the tine points that meet I could be more precise with picking up small stuff.

There are times I wish I had a smaller single lid root type grapple. MTL use to show one but it was listed as out of stock and when I emailed them to see if it was available they never replied.

final-pic2.jpg

Last edited: